HK rental....

Old Dec 11th 2012, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

NewbieHK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HK rental....

Hi all,

What kind of flat would we be looking at for $25 HKD PCM, needs to be 2 bed and on the island?

I like the idea of living a little bit out of the centre, i.e Kennedy Town or somewhere like that.

Also, are bills generally included? What is usually included in the quoted prices? Everything I can see online says for example 25HKD (Inc.)

If anyone knows of any good agents or companies to look through please let me know.

Many thanks for your help!
Old Dec 12th 2012, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HK rental....

I think you previously posted about service apartments.

For regular apartment rental things are a little different but I would summarise as best I can as follows :

1. Tenancy agreements are usually for 2 years. Make sure they include a break clause so that you can give 2 months notice after 12 months, which equates to a min committment of 14 months.

2. You need to pay a deposit of 2 months rental, which you get back at the end of the tenancy. If you use an agent to find the apartment then they usually charge 0.5 months rental as a fixed fee. So together with the first months rent you will need to make an initial payment of 3.5 months rent !

3. Apartments are usually non furnished.

4. For HK$25k per month you should be able to find a decent but small 2 bed on the Island in either Kennedy Town, Chai Wan, North Point. Rents are still on the rise though. Rent would usually be inclusive of rates and possibly also inclusive of management fees for any facilities that the property has such as security, swimming pool, gym etc. However, it won't include bills for electricity (expensive in HK), water, sewerage and of course telecommunications etc.

There are many agents here in HK, many have western sales agents. They are really all about as good (or as bad) as each other. Make sure you tell them exactly what you want and your budget otherwise they will be showing you mansions on the Peak going for HK$200K + per month !!
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

max00 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,
how about sharing a flat with other people? is it a service that agencies offer?
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

Supernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to all

Agencies from what I've seen do not deal with flat shares, more hassle for less commission.