HELP!!!

Old Jun 22nd 2013, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

bigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default HELP!!!

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice they could provide with regards to this. I have recently accepted a job in Shenzhen, China and want to take my wife with me. The problem is that the name on our marriage certificate is her maiden name and the name on her passport if her married name. Because both names are different, the embassy office in Shenzhen is creating a problem. They would like an authenticated name change explanation. I do not know what this is or how I would go about getting this. I am in the UK at the moment. Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jun 25th 2013, 2:31 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!!

Confused by this. Your and your wife's surnames are the same on both your passports and that surname also appears as your surname on your marriage certificate? e.g. Your wife took your name when you married? I can't see why that is a problem - it's the standard state of affairs for married women.

Do you mean getting your marriage certificate legalised?

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised
Old Jun 25th 2013, 2:30 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is standard these days. Many of my friends keep their maiden name and I think it's always been the norm for Chinese ladies? I have a Malaysian Chinese friend married a Brit a couple of years ago and she still uses her Chinese family name. A Singaporean friend similar story with Chinese name in passport. Err....just to say.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 4:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I don't think it is standard these days. Many of my friends keep their maiden name and I think it's always been the norm for Chinese ladies? I have a Malaysian Chinese friend married a Brit a couple of years ago and she still uses her Chinese family name. A Singaporean friend similar story with Chinese name in passport. Err....just to say.
While I appreciate that many women do keep their maiden name these days, I can't see why the Chinese authorities are wanting a name change document if they already have a valid marriage certificate with the relevant names as that's the norm in Western countries.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

bigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond reputebigmo23 has a reputation beyond repute

No its not the marriage certificate its the fact her name has changed. they are wanting a change of name certificate. The UK Chinese embassy are happy with the explanation the SHenzhen government offices aren't. So their both giving me mixed messages. its soo confusing!!!
Old Jun 25th 2013, 8:38 pm

Well, your wife could do a deed poll. It'll be a little redundant in the UK, but it should satisfy the Chinese authorities.

http://www.ukdps.co.uk/

When you complete the form, use Section 5 to backdate the name change to your wedding day. That way it'll reinforced your wife's change of name due to marriage.