Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Entry Restriction Into Hong Kong

Entry Restriction Into Hong Kong

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

vpv1966 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Entry Restriction Into Hong Kong

I am planning to move into HK early next year. I would like to know about the following:
Bringing in of mobile phone, World Space Receiver & Camera
Smoking in public places in HK
Vegetarian Food - Pre-cooked from Supermarkets
General Cost of living for a single person
Requirement of Permit for drinking beer / alcoholundefined
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 1:13 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry Restriction Into Hong Kong

Originally Posted by vpv1966
I am planning to move into HK early next year. I would like to know about the following:
Search on the web, especially official Chinese government websites for the answers to your questions above.

NC Penguin
Old Dec 10th 2004, 11:58 am
Just Joined

steve2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

HK is a fantastic place to live. I lived there for most of my life and am desperate to go back.
No idea about mobiles am afraid.
Smoking is permitted most places. There are non smoking areas in restaurants and theatres etc are non smoking as you'd expect. But the smoke in bars etc is no where near as bad as in the UK as everywhere has good air conditioning systems.
You can get some pre cooked vege stuff from supermarkets. Linda McCarthny etc. Best place is Olivers but its pricey. Restaurants are getting better at offering vege stuff but Chinese meals can be tricky. Prepare to eat a lot of rice and fish the veges out of meat dishes if you want anything else.
Cost of living for single person can vary considerbaly depending on where you live, how you travel and how much you go out. Its v. pricey to drink out for example.
No limitations on drinking out - just your budget. Its a very sociable place and a lot of people go out every night. Most places are open till the following morning.

Hope this helps - enjoy your time there.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by vpv1966

Yep! Hong Kong is indeed a great place to live!

Mobile phone......there are millions of the damn things here to choose from, all the latest technology is here and why would you bring anything in from the UK?

Smoking, can be done in just about all bars & restaraunts, but not in Shopping Centres, Cinemas, (already mentioned by someone), and also in some office buildings.

Vegetarian food is no problem, just dont go into a Japanese or Chinese restaraunt! Supermarkets have loads of vege food so no worries there!

Cost of living for a single person, depends where you want to live and your social activities really, so it is difficult to say. Cost of living could be very low, if you lived in Lantau Island, eat vegetables and rice from the market and took the mini bus everywhere.

Anway, if I can offer specific advice.....please just ask.

Good luck!