British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   China/Hong Kong (https://britishexpats.com/forum/china-hong-kong-151/)
-   -   English Schools (https://britishexpats.com/forum/china-hong-kong-151/english-schools-883315/)

Daz968 Sep 14th 2016 10:05 am

English Schools

So, we moved back to the UK last year from Oman. I may now be offered a role in Hong Kong (the wife is gonna kill me!).

I lived in Sai Kung back in the late 90's - so I am kind of familiar with the area.

The office is in Shatin, but probably be working at the airport most of the time.

No idea of salary - I would hope high 70's in to the 80's plus some housing allowance (do they still do that)?

Is New Territories still a good place? (We don't need crazy night life). But I also have a 7 yr old and 4 yr old, so school is important.

If anyone can throw in their 10p worth I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

PS just looking at the map it seems that the new territories and Sha Tin is almost kowloon now! Crumbs....

Also it is still not worth bothering with a car? I found public transport to be spot on...

PPS Just found this thread (Moving to HK location advice wanted...) which is very helpful so don't worry too much about responding...unless you feel the need!

Thanks again

HKG3 Sep 14th 2016 6:05 pm

Re: English Schools

Originally Posted by Daz968 (Post 12051790)
So, we moved back to the UK last year from Oman. I may now be offered a role in Hong Kong (the wife is gonna kill me!).

I lived in Sai Kung back in the late 90's - so I am kind of familiar with the area.

The office is in Shatin, but probably be working at the airport most of the time.

No idea of salary - I would hope high 70's in to the 80's plus some housing allowance (do they still do that)?

Is New Territories still a good place? (We don't need crazy night life). But I also have a 7 yr old and 4 yr old, so school is important.

If anyone can throw in their 10p worth I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

PS just looking at the map it seems that the new territories and Sha Tin is almost kowloon now! Crumbs....

Also it is still not worth bothering with a car? I found public transport to be spot on...

PPS Just found this thread (Moving to HK location advice wanted...) which is very helpful so don't worry too much about responding...unless you feel the need!

Thanks again

If you are moving to Hong Kong, you need to organised the children's education ASAP. The link below is a good start -

Home | English Schools Foundation

English School Foundation offers English medium education in Hong Kong. It is difficult to get a place, so you need to get in touch as soon as you can.

Housing is very expensive in Hong Kong, so having a housing allowance is an important part of your salary package.

You should also try an open a Hong Kong bank account in Oman with the local HSBC before your move to Hong Kong.

Do you still have your old Hong Kong ID card? If you had Hong Kong permanent residency before you left, you can retain the right to land in Hong Kong after you lost your permanent resident status.

Daz968 Sep 20th 2016 8:00 am

Thanks for the reply.

Yep - I am learning that schooling is going to be a major hurdle. it might be the deal breaker as I don't want to spend a long time without the kids waiting for a school spot....but am checking out that link :-)

Will be getting housing, schooling as well which will help. Will know more later today after second interview....

Been looking for my old ID card - FK nose where it is! Found my old medical card though!

What's the pollution like - I heard it's not good nowadays...?

HKG3 Sep 20th 2016 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Daz968 (Post 12056798)
Thanks for the reply.

Yep - I am learning that schooling is going to be a major hurdle. it might be the deal breaker as I don't want to spend a long time without the kids waiting for a school spot....but am checking out that link :-)

Will be getting housing, schooling as well which will help. Will know more later today after second interview....

Been looking for my old ID card - FK nose where it is! Found my old medical card though!

What's the pollution like - I heard it's not good nowadays...?

Do you by any chance remember your old Hong Kong ID number? Each person should have the same HK ID number throughout his/her life. If you cannot find your old HK ID card, you will need to go and get a replacement once you start your job in Hong Kong.

Registration/Replacement of Hong Kong Identity Card | Immigration Department

Pollution is bad at the winter times with the winds coming from the north. In the summer, the ocean breeze from the south makes pollution more bearable.

With regards to your children's education, the Hong Kong government has a number of state primary schools with classes using English as the medium of instruction. The link below gives out information on state / ESF and other private schools for non Cantonese speaking pupils in Hong Kong -

http://www.hkhrm.org.hk/racial%20dis...004(final).pdf

bakedbean Sep 20th 2016 11:02 pm

Just wishing you best of luck. Tagging myself onto this topic as one of my best friends lives (part of the year) in TST, so can ask her some questions if anything relevant pops up.

Well, she is retired but I do know that she zips around on the ever-expanding public transport systems and seems to love it there.

I do know that accommodation is very expensive so that's great if that is included in the package.