a day in HK with 1 yea old?

Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a day in HK with 1 yea old?

Hello

Does anybody know how child friendly HK is? Airport, shopping centers, pram ramps, transport. Im thinking of a day in HK with a 1 year old baby, I just want to have a look at the harbour, love that view, a little shopping probably, have a lunch, maybe have a 1 hour bus trip, and then go back airport hotel (There is a hotel there, right?), and leave later that day.

Would really appreciate any recommendations from people having traveled there with young children. Is it just a crazy idea?
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:08 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a day in HK with 1 yea old?

It's not that Hong Kong (socially, culturally, people, etc) is kid-unfriendly, it isn't, it's that the life in an urban core (pollution, traffic, heat) is kid-unfriendly. Having your kid out in the heat, humidity, and more worrying, street level pollution can get a bit rough, especially a toddler who is going to need at least a nap or two during the day. Back alleys with street markets or really good food that you visited when single are now a bit too dirty with a kid.

You can do a lot of this via the MTR or Airport Express, and walking through shopping malls, etc. Taking the kid on the Star Ferry is probably ok as well. But walking through Central, Causeway Bay or Mongkok with a pram during a business day is a bit rough given the heat and masses of people.

I think if you limit your exposure outside, take advantage of the MTR and malls and plan for a bit of down time (perhaps a lunch while kid sleeps) you can make it happen. Just don't plan your visit like it was when you were childless as there are a few places you went on your own you won't go with a kid.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:04 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Take the airport express to Kowloon, taxi to ferry terminal , boat, walk, eat, tram and MTR to Airport express.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point

Thnaks a lot
Old Jul 18th 2010, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Alexor has a brilliant futureAlexor has a brilliant futureAlexor has a brilliant futureAlexor has a brilliant futureAlexor has a brilliant futureAlexor has a brilliant futureAlexor has a brilliant future

Pollution is in every City, so there's not much you can do about that. I found HK to be a very civilised place for tourists and would not have a problem taking my young kids there. Have fun, there's nothing better than sharing your travels with your kids
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Don't know if you've gone yet so here goes. Having had a child grow up there I can say that I was always wary of taking my son out to busy areas like Mong Kok and Causeway Bay. There are so many people around you all the time that a small child will feel intimidated as will the parents. It would be wise to avoid walking the streets at lunch or going home times. Head to the parks or the NT on the train. You may even think about going to Ocean Park or Disneyland too.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

jillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nice

Why not go to central and round the IFC then take one of the ferries from the terminal just outside and go to one of the islands? Discovery Bay is nice and not that busy- though not particularlly "real" Hong Kong and looks more like Europe in my opinion, it can be nice if you are just wanting to relax for the day. Yes there are a few hotels at the airport. I would also recommend getting a bus to the airport as I think the airport express (mtr) is a rip-off at almost £10- and you can get lovely views from the top deck of a bus going to the airport.

I lived there for a year btw so feel free to message me if I can help you at all

Jill
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jillmurray
I think the airport express (mtr) is a rip-off at almost £10
That's the first time I've ever heard someone calling the Hong Kong airport express train a rip-off. Just out of curiousity, in what way?

1/ Rip-off because you see less out the windows because train moves too fast? To most people it's a selling point - getting to where you want to be as quickly as possible.

2/ Rip-off because it's expensive? You can hardly call it expensive comparing to similar trains worldwide. One-way or same day return is only $100 (or £8 at the current exchange rate) between the airport and HK Island. Less if you only go to Kowloon.

My parents live on HK Island. When I take my kids to visit them, we always use the airport express train. Clean, fast and convenient. You can save a bit of money if you use the Tung Chung line but you'll have to drag luggage around and there are way too many stops before you get to Central.

I would only take the airport buses if the kids have enough energy to enjoy the views of the bridges and the city after the long flight(s).

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:30 am
Just Joined

jillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nicejillmurray is just really nice

We never used it in the entire time we were there- we got the bus to our halls in Kowloon Tong and it was around $35 (student octo) but don't think it was that much more with a normal octo card. When you are a student and living cheap and trying to do as much Asian travelling on your weekends off then it is better to save money and for one trip there and back to the airport i'd rather spend $70 all in instead of $200. Last few days of term I went to the airport 5 times to wave friends off home, it would have cost a fortune to go on the express that many times.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jillmurray
We never used it in the entire time we were there- we got the bus to our halls in Kowloon Tong and it was around $35 (student octo) but don't think it was that much more with a normal octo card. When you are a student and living cheap and trying to do as much Asian travelling on your weekends off then it is better to save money and for one trip there and back to the airport i'd rather spend $70 all in instead of $200. Last few days of term I went to the airport 5 times to wave friends off home, it would have cost a fortune to go on the express that many times.
I see. You're talking from the point of view of a student or a backpacker who needs to use the airport frequently. Not really a rip-off for other less frequent travellers who want efficiency then.

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Well I also got a bus from the Fortress Hill area on HK island from the hotel I was in for my last night. Again it was a lot cheaper. Unless you are in a rush I don't understand why you would spend the extra. If you have the time the bus is nice and the view from leaving will stay with you forever. Although I was a student I am just generally good with money and don't see reason in spending extra for the same service- they both get you to the airport on time. Personal preference for anyone I suppose- definitely an above-ground, looking at the view and generally being noisy, girl myself. Like I say, both get you to your destination- but if you are a regular to the airport like I was then it makes sense to save the money.

Jill
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Also on the efficiency note- as a general point for anyone travelling there, I felt the transport was second to none. MTR or bus, they are frequent and generally there are no problems with lateness or cancellations.