Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Cost of Apartment in HK/Kowloon

Cost of Apartment in HK/Kowloon

Old Jul 23rd 2015, 5:28 am
Just Joined

Otakujin is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Cost of Apartment in HK/Kowloon

Hope you can help I am moving to HK in Oct and I am looking to rent an apartment i have looked on a number of websites and prices seem to be very wide, I am hoping to find a 1 or 2 bed Apartment and price seem to be 8,000HKD - 20,000HKD but when I spoke to my HK contact they have said the prices on Craigs list & Trovit are fake and that i could never get anything for this money and I wondered if this was true?

Thanks

Richard

Last edited by Otakujin; Jul 23rd 2015 at 7:24 am.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Apartment in HK/Kowloon

I am sure you will be able to find something within that range. Check the many estate agents web sites in HK.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 6:11 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Gohome.com.hk
Squarefoot.com.hk

Skip the scams of craigslist.

As for the general question, it's a "how long is a piece of string" situation. What is your requirement? Four walls and a toilet? Something with a doorman and a pool? You can really go all over the place.

Long term, you'll save more money if you find a temporary accommodation for the first week or two in Hong Kong and then rent while "on the ground" instead of some stuff online. There are simply too many unknowns online and you have a very weak negotiating position as you don't know what the current market rate is from various adverts. Take a look at corporate apartments or an AirBnB.com solution for weeks one and two and then decide what is best after you've got boots on the ground.

Good luck.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Otakujin is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great thanks for responding. I will hold off till I arrive and sort once on the ground.
My office is based in TST so if anyone can recommend area's to look at I would appreciate it. I would if possible like to be in a quieter location that give me access to the essentials but I am a little long in the tooth for nightclubbing and would ideally like to be able to travel around when on days off.

Many Thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Try the Harbour Plaza Metropolis which is very close to TST.

http://www.harbour-plaza.com/metropo...s-Index-en.htm
Old Oct 8th 2015, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Jolovebee is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if you are still looking for a place to rent. I would recommend service apartment. All bills included with high standard. In TST there is one call Sharma. It's approx hkd20000 a month.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

I stayed in Harbour front Horizon residence near Hung Hom station and Whampoa ferry terminal, the priced varied according to contract length, minimum 6 months price around 20K HK$. Later we rented a place at Hung Hom station price 18K. If you facy a more relaxed lifestyle there is Lamma island, prices are lower, ferry takes about 30 mins and cost peanuts.
Best bet is some sort of hotel (western style) and have a look around first. Hong Kong you either love or hate!

Last edited by Maybe1day; Oct 26th 2015 at 8:48 am. Reason: ,
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
Best bet is some sort of hotel (western style) and have a look around first. Hong Kong you either love or hate!
In my experience the biggest single factor that will determine whether you love or hate Hong Kong is where you live.

Last edited by hong_konger; Nov 2nd 2015 at 12:39 am.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hong_konger
In my experience the biggest single factor that will determine whether you love or hate Hong Kong is where you live.
I tend to agree with this statement - to a point. Wife and myself rented a brilliant (but crazy expensive) appartment in Wisteria Rd, Yau Yat Chuen for 3 years whilst I was working for Cathay Pacific. Perhaps the best location if one has to live in Kowloon, as I had to cover Kai-Tak initially, and then Chep- Lap-Kok. I loved Hong-Kong life & the work. But my wife hated it!
Old Nov 15th 2015, 10:47 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I tend to agree with this statement - to a point. Wife and myself rented a brilliant (but crazy expensive) appartment in Wisteria Rd, Yau Yat Chuen for 3 years whilst I was working for Cathay Pacific. Perhaps the best location if one has to live in Kowloon, as I had to cover Kai-Tak initially, and then Chep- Lap-Kok. I loved Hong-Kong life & the work. But my wife hated it!
I assume your wife wasn't working?
Old Nov 16th 2015, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

My wife loved it too, she was friends with the wife of the president of a major toy manufacturer. Chauffeur driven in a big Merc and coffee and aperitifs in the best locales and the odd game of Mahjong between shopping.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
The wife is the 2nd factor...