Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Chartered Accountant considering moving to HK

Chartered Accountant considering moving to HK

Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

EdinburghScot is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Chartered Accountant considering moving to HK

Dear Forum

I appreciate that this post may be a little vague but I will provide all the information that I can in hope that you can provide some assistance. If you feel you need more information in order to help please just ask.

I am a 28 year old male working in Edinburgh, UK at the moment for a Big 4 accountancy firm. I have 6 years professional experience including 3 years in Audit and 3 years in Restructuring Services.

I am considering pursuing a move to Hong Kong and wish to understand the likelihood that I will be able to secure employment. I assume that my best hope of employment would be in a similar position with a Big 4 firm.

I could go through my current employer but I fear that this could be a very time consuming and frustrating process (this is the feedback I have received from others who have made international transfers) and the news may not be welcomed by my managers.

I do not speak Mandarin or Cantonese, in fact I only speak English.

I guess my questions are really:
1. How likely is it that I would find a Big 4 accountancy firm (or another similar employer) willing to employ me in HK? Are my skills and experience in demand in HK?
2. How difficult a process is it to obtain a working Visa and how long does it take? Would a prospective employer be prepared to support/undertake that process?
3. Would I be able to secure a position prior to moving out there?
4. What is the best way to go about finding work? I have checked Big 4 accountancy firms websites and there are positions advertised which I could apply for but I am afraid that any application would be declined on the basis that I have no Visa and no local language skills. If this is likely, it would seem my only option would be to seek a transfer with my current employer.

My expectation is that I may struggle to find an employer willing to hire me without language skills or working VISA (especially without first being in HK) and that my best hope may be through an internal transfer, however, I'd be very grateful for your comments and feedback.

Many thanks

EdinburghScot
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Karen68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really nice
Default Re: Chartered Accountant considering moving to HK

Hi,

I'm in the US forum, but noticed your post and have a few thoughts....

My OH works for a UK co, he is in manufacturing Finance out here but we also have friends who are with the US arms of two of the big 4.

Regarding the language, I'm not so sure you'll have a problem. My OH was offered a post in Shanghai a few years ago which he turned down, not because of any language barriers but because he didn't feel the job was right for him. He has, however, spent lots of time in Shanghai over the years and has never encountered any language problems. The biggest issue apparently was the food - you need to have a strong stomach as it is not unknown to be taken out by the Chinese people you are visiting and presented with something that you have no idea if you can eat. My OH can eat just about anything fortunately.

Regarding the big 4, our friends' experience has been transfers through the firms. They are both American and have worked in various states and have had Global postings. One is actually currently in Shanghai. The impression I have been left with is that the Firm decides where you are going and when and sorts out all the necessary visas, etc. Like you say, I imagine it will be easier for you to get posted abroad if you stay with your current employer.

If you have audit experience, have you considered going to work for a multi national as an internal auditor? Again, OH's co. have their own internal audit team who travel the world. Some of them transfer internally to controller roles and have then gone onto other Divisional/FC/FD jobs around the globe.

Sorry if this post has rambled on a bit; I hope you achieve your goals!

Last edited by Karen68; Oct 27th 2011 at 12:27 am. Reason: Add, btw, HK was a British colony for a v long time, no trouble with English there either!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:22 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi EdinburghScot, just to say welcome to BE. I'm not in HK so cannot help you really, but take a browse through the forum, you may find some useful info. We've got quite a few posters either living or have lived in HK before, so you may get a few more replies. Hope so.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any direct experience of working in accountancy.

But IMO you wouldn't have a problem with language.
You wouldn't have a problem with a visa, your employer would sort that.

For me you have three ways to go:
-pursue a posting in HK with your present employer.
-apply to other companies who are advertising positions in HK
-take a 2 week trip out there during your next leave period and search for a position there. And look at accommodation and travel to work and just get the feel of the place.

In any case if you haven't visited HK you have no idea if you'll like it. A 2 week trip will only give you a flavour anyway. I've known quite a few people who didn't like it.
You didn't mention if you were married because your wife would also have to be happy there, many would say this is the most important.

If you are happy and settled with your present company then that's the way to go. Perhaps you could ask if they have some work there you could do on a temp basis both to see how you fit in with their HK set up and if you like the place.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

EdinburghScot is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all for the reponses. I am encouraged by the fact that language would not appear to be a big problem. I did expect that an employer would deal with VISA applications etc but was concerned that, if I choose to leave my current employer, I would not be an good candidate for another firm due to hassle of dealing with VISA. Does anyone have any experience?

ex reg, I am single which I suppose should make things easier...or more difficult depending on how you look at it. You are right, a visit to HK may be a good idea and it is something that I was considering.

bakedbean, thanks I will have a scan through the various threads.

Karen 68, thanks for the suggestions. I do have audit experience but left that and not keen on going back, even internal audit. I have a good idea of the type of job I would be looking for (Advisory, i.e. Transaction Serviced, Corporate Finance, Debt Advisory, Restructuring) and I think my experience should make this possible, it would in the UK anyway.

It would seem my best bet would be to raise the issue with my current firm, although I am sure this will not go down well with my immediate bosses.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

PeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud of

The working visa will indeed be your major hurdle. I am not sure how things are jobwise at present in HK in your area but I would imagine it's very competitive for jobs in the major companies. People often move around between jobs here but once you have a local track-record this is much easier. I have a feeling that your best bet would be a company transfer. By the way, for people with young families (which may not apply to you of course) finding places in local English language schools is a real headache as another thread here has pointed out. Plus, Hong Kong is not necessarily to everyone's taste - if you really love cities you would probably be happy here but it is still a bit of challenge, fun nonetheless.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am from Australia forum but I just spotted your post and read it as I am also an accountant.

From time to time I have considered moving to various places around the world and have worked in Bermuda and Australia now. Hong Kong was definitely on the list at one time, not recently, but I did not get the impression at the time that it would be particularly easy to accomplish, there are loads of accountants in Asia already.

So I definitely think that your best option is to pursue it through your company. Most managers understand that people need to move on and try new things and I am sure that they will be supportive of it. Good luck with your plans.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Karen68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really nice

Hi moderators,

Bjland4 has hijacked my post and stuck some external links in it!
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karen68
Hi moderators,

Bjland4 has hijacked my post and stuck some external links in it!
Its Ok, he's left the building!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:52 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Edinburghscot

Whilst having a little look around the Asia forums, I noticed your thread and just wanted to welcome you as a new member to BE and wish you all the very best with your plans

Dread - x
Old Feb 4th 2012, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

12yearson is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked in restructuring in HK for a number of years. All of the big firms have expats working in their restructuring departments. I am less familiar with audit, but would imagine it to be less the case. I would encourage you to explore your options both internally and externally. Contact some headhunters and make some enquiries, but as a hedge perhaps consider starting the process internally at your current employer as well.

The general rule on getting a work visa for HK is that employers need to be able to demonstrate that they are filling a need which cannot be filled with a local hire. In your case, given your 3 years' restructuring experience, that is probably an easier argument than it would be if you were to seek work in audit, which has a much larger population of skilled accountants in HK.

Of course, you also need to be able to convince an employer that you are a good bet and have skills and experience that is of value to them, since, in general terms, it can be more expensive to hire an expat than a local hire.

Most of the major recruiting firms have presences in HK - so give them a try. And good luck!