Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Which is better in HK, Discovery Bay or Park Island

Which is better in HK, Discovery Bay or Park Island

Old Aug 24th 2014, 9:37 am
Just Joined

MiaMia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which is better in HK, Discovery Bay or Park Island

I will be moving to HK end of next month. I have identified 2 places that suit my needs of more space, ocean views and better value than in the more central parts of Hong Kong.

I have heard people speak both highly of Discovery Bay (DB) and Park Island (PI). Does anyone here have any views to share? I'm moving with my husband and will be a house mum (to be) so am looking for a safe place with a community feeling. We are of course also conscious of cost.

We have been suggested to view Coral Court on Discovery Bay and Coastline Villa also.

Budget is around 35-40K HKD and we want 3 bedrooms with ocean views (one study, one babies room or for guests, and one for us).
Old Aug 25th 2014, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which is better in HK, Discovery Bay or Park Island

Hello and welcome.
Your question is not an easy one to answer as its really a question of taste and lifestyle requirements etc.
I'll start with Park Island. This is on Ma Wan Island which until a few years ago was a sleepy fishing village community only accessible by an old wooden kaido (ferry). Park Island was a huge development by one of the biggest HK developers. It is now additionally accessible by bus and taxi but you cannot use a private car there. I have heard many people say they like it there but in my view you are cut-off from the rest of Hong Kong. If you have lived in HK for a while and know the ropes then maybe ok but for a new comer you are pretty much limiting your learning / discovery process for the rest of HK.

Discovery Bay is marmite land. You either love it or hate it. Many people say its not really Hong Kong. Again private cars are not allowed and you are reliant on buses and ferries. Having said that I do know many people who live in "DB" and would not live anywhere else !

In Central you have access to everything but of course its significantly more expensive.
Have you considered the New Territories or is that too far ?

If you are going to be in HK for a while you need to start considering kindergartens / schools as places are scarce.

Good luck
Old Aug 25th 2014, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply. Yes I know these are both places a little away but I am after the peace and quiet. Also I understand park island has a taxi service and busses that are very fast to central HK. By doing some online research PI does seem like a place I am after.

Yes, I considered NT but it just seems too far for driving and transport and seems a little "local" for my taste in terms of style of the apartments. What really appeals to me about Park Island and to a lesser extent DB are the amazing facilities like pools and gyms and how nice it all looks over there with the modern buildings.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Well PI is certainly fairly modern. Pools are gyms are the norm in HK rather than the exception but less so in the NT where there are many village houses etc. You seem to have done your homework and I wish you all the best.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 1:58 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Pools and gyms and doorman are standard in many expat buildings. We have a play room for kids and a function room for parties, a sauna, tennis court, pool and gym in our building, which is a relatively basic one in the Midlevels.

Peace and Quiet from 30 floors up is actually pretty easy, just depends on where you live. Some side roads have very little traffic or street noise (at least that you hear 30 floors up). You might also consider living on the South Side (Repulse Bay, Stanley) though that can be a bit pricey.

I would also mention the "guest room". We have one, but I think it's probably been occupied by guests a total of 2 weeks a year, at most, over the last five years. Probably even less. For the difference in price between a 2br and a 3br, we could have easily put up our guests in a hotel without batting an eye. While you will probably want a place for the baby (I'm gathering your expecting soon?) then maybe you'll need a 3d for a study, but if the baby is "in the future" then you might consider a 2br for a year or two until it's time to get a bigger place.

If you are pregnant at the moment and expect to deliver in HK in a PRIVATE hospital I would mention you should be in touch with them now to secure a place. I think it's a bit easier than it was when the mainlanders were coming over the border but some hospitals might be booked. Schools as well are a major consideration as you'll need to get their name down at some schools basically as soon as they are born, if you want the international school option.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi Penguinsis, we just got back from a short trip to Thailand which was fun Have decided on Park Island after all. Part of it was just the vibe and meeting some of the people there. DB, by comparison, seemed somehow too bland and sterile although there are apparently some in HK who love it there.

PS -Park Island is not really an island as such as it has a road connected to it now, but it was a former island and it is surrounded by the ocean. Beach is nice, but of course not tropical island standard. I did find the Mid Levels too busy, and to be honest out of my price range for the size I wanted. Went to a lovely BBQ on South Side but WAYYYYY to expensive for us. The pools and just general living condition was just far superior that what we could get in Mid Levels, even at a higher price.

For Park Island, they definitely have ambulance access and that assured us. Actually quite a few of the ladies there went into labour and the ambulance comes very quickly apparently. It does seem like a very livable place for a mother and child with easy to navigate pavements and an absence of cars. Now as for hospitals, we are too late to book private it seems. It is booked with mainland Chinese apparently months in advance. But we got into public, which should be OK. Not sure we will be in HK long enough to consider schools. Thanks fort the help
Old Sep 4th 2014, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, Penguinsix for misspelling your name!