Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Beijing - Salaries and Quality of Life

Beijing - Salaries and Quality of Life

Old Apr 18th 2010, 3:33 am
Just Joined

vectorwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutvectorwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutvectorwarrior has a spectacular aura about
Default Beijing - Salaries and Quality of Life

Howdy everyone,

I'm in the early stages of applying for a position in Beijing and have been told that the salary would be 6 times the average wage of 3,700RMB a month, taking it to about 3,200USD or around 22,000RMB a month. Is that a decent wage in Beijing? I realize it's not a crazy high expat package but can you live pretty decently on that? I'm currently on about 90,000USD (after bonuses) at the moment so it's obviously a big cut, but I'm not terribly money driven and don't have expensive tastes.

Additionally, what is life like in Beijing? How bad is the pollution problem now the Olympics are long gone? I'm a big cycling fan, is this even possible/practical in Beijing? Is it a very cosmopolitan city? Are the people friendly and accepting of foreigners? Is it an exciting place to live? What is the nightlife like? Are there many opportunities for weekend getaways? Is it a very green city? What is the weather like?

I've done a fair bit of research online but would love to hear from people directly living there or anyone with any insight at all.

Thanks in advance for any info, it's really appreciated!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:20 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beijing - Salaries and Quality of Life

Originally Posted by vectorwarrior
Howdy everyone,

I'm in the early stages of applying for a position in Beijing and have been told that the salary would be 6 times the average wage of 3,700RMB a month, taking it to about 3,200USD or around 22,000RMB a month. Is that a decent wage in Beijing? I realize it's not a crazy high expat package but can you live pretty decently on that? I'm currently on about 90,000USD (after bonuses) at the moment so it's obviously a big cut, but I'm not terribly money driven and don't have expensive tastes.

Additionally, what is life like in Beijing? How bad is the pollution problem now the Olympics are long gone? I'm a big cycling fan, is this even possible/practical in Beijing? Is it a very cosmopolitan city? Are the people friendly and accepting of foreigners? Is it an exciting place to live? What is the nightlife like? Are there many opportunities for weekend getaways? Is it a very green city? What is the weather like?

I've done a fair bit of research online but would love to hear from people directly living there or anyone with any insight at all.

If you havent found it already check out beijinger.com.

I was only there for 6months. Its fairly cosmopolitan. you can get plenty of english/american style food, area around San Li tun is full of nightlife and english/american bars/restaurants etc. Its extremely cheap for food if you eat in a chinese or local restaurant if you eat in an american theme bar then its about 25-30$ for a meal. Im sorry I cant comment on salary - beijinger guys should be able to help you on that. Taxi's are so cheap they are practically free - I cant think of one that was more than 30 rmb.

You'd have to be mental to ride a road bike on the road if you mean road cycling. There is a huge expat community there (esp around san li tun) . You can get most home comforts.

If I really wanted to ride my bike out there I'd drive or get a taxi out to near the airport where the roads are quiet countryside roads and you can go for miles on reasonable tarmac. I would not ride in beijing city roads even at 4am.

Language is a huge barrier - dont expect people to speak english. Taxi drivers certainly wont. The underground/subway is real easy to use but its something like 20cents a trip so it gets used by the other 3bazillion people and being squashed in there is unlike any subway squashing you will have ever experienced.

Beijing is a great city - huge amount of things to do . Great wall, Shopping, museums, galleries, etc.

Edit : Polution is a lot better now - they are still operating the restrictions on car usage odd number plates on certain days etc. You still get the odd day where you cant see the skyscraper next to you but its a lot better. The air is very dry in beijing it has very low humidity and you will be in air conditioning most of your time there so you have to get used to that and having a dry nose :-)

Last edited by spalen; Apr 19th 2010 at 12:22 am.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

andrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really nice

22,000 RMB will be ok if your employer is paying for your accomodation. Otherwise, 22,000 RMB is only enough for one month's rent !

Also, you'll pay 25-30% in income tax.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Emily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to all

Rent depends on where you live. Back in the old days off course expats were restricted as to where they live and had to pay higher prices.. Now, you can find decent places esp in Beijing for less than 7k a month.

I dont really know Beijing as well, but cycling in the summer in Beijing.. Isnt something I would do. The roads off China are lethal to be begin with!

You can search for Joanne's real estate in Beijing, they should have lists of cheaper places... Also you can check out that's Beijing.

I dont think you will pay anywhere like 25% of ur income in tax. Everybody gets a few thousand as a personal monthly allowance. Get your company to deduct your housing from your salary and put the contract under their name and your rent will become tax free. Also dont forget to get medical insurance. Also negotiate for a flight home or two a year.. That will save you a few bucks.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

andrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really nice

Originally Posted by andrewrh
22,000 RMB will be ok if your employer is paying for your accomodation. Otherwise, 22,000 RMB is only enough for one month's rent !

Tax % Monthly Income (CNY)
5% 1 - 500
10% 501 - 2,000
15% 2,001 - 5,000
20% 5,001 - 20,000
25% 20,001 - 40,000
30% 40,001 - 60,000
35% 60,001 - 80,000
40% 80,001 - 100,000
45% 100,001 and above

I was not aware that the salaries up to 5000 were taxed, but it says so on this 2009 table.
You would likely be in the 25% range, though there is a tax free amount of about 4800 RMB. You are fined (can't remember how much) for paying your monthly tax late - later than about the 7th of the following month. Better to arrange your employer pays it first by bank transfer, or you might spend several hours each month waiting to pay it over the counter.

Before the great GBP crash, I was yo-yo ing between two different rates for a while. Would love that to happen again - hope the GBP starts strengthening soon !
Old Apr 30th 2010, 9:21 am
Banned

wowoweee is an unknown quantity at this point

22k yuan is only enough for 1 month's rent. I wonder how the chinese live with 2k yuan a month then huh enstein.

Old Apr 30th 2010, 9:28 am
Banned

Originally Posted by vectorwarrior
Howdy everyone,

air pollution is bad. city is noisy but very fun and exciting place to live in. language barrier will be huge if you dont speak chinese. cosmopolitan...not really.

nightlife ? lots of sleeze and booze if you know where to look.

you said it yourself, it is 6 times the average wage. do you think you would have a problem with money?

the people? it all depends. bear in mind china is a third world country with gdp per capita ~2.5k usd compared to uk's ~40k usd. lots of poor rural people called "nong mins". people will speak loudly and spit all over the floor.

the main thing is to LOOK AFTER YOUR PERSONAL SAFETY. Outright violence is rare but there are lots of scams. Don't take UNLICENSED BUSES/CABS. Though most are safe, you never know if one will drive you to nowhere and rob you. Don't follow strangers to back alleys. And watch out for pickpockets.
Old May 3rd 2010, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wowoweee
22k yuan is only enough for 1 month's rent. I wonder how the chinese live with 2k yuan a month then huh enstein.

I'm ignoring your sniping on all the forums - Vector warrior, you can pm me for my thoughts.

Last edited by andrewrh; May 3rd 2010 at 2:58 pm.
Old May 4th 2010, 11:41 am
Banned

I'm ignoring your sniping on all the forums - Vector warrior, you can pm me for my thoughts.