Back to UK with a child

Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:28 am
Just Joined

4h0ng is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Back to UK with a child

Hi, a freshie here.

I'm looking for some clarification on a child being born outside of the UK.

I was born in the UK and have been working in HK for 7 years since i graduated. I got married in HK, my wife is a not from the UK, she is a local HK.

We are thinking about having a child soon and we both prefer the child to be brought up in the UK.

I believe the fact that i was born in the UK means the child would be a British Citizen even if he/she was born in HK. My question is:

Would the child be entitled to free education in the UK all the way up to the age of 18 even if the child was born outside of the UK but is a British Citizen?

I love HK and want to stay but with the way that the education system is in HK and the competitiveness in schools, i feel UK would be a more beneficial and comfortable environment for a kid growing up.

Thanks for any replies to my question in advance!
Old Jan 8th 2013, 8:42 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to UK with a child

Originally Posted by 4h0ng
Hi, a freshie here.

I was born in the UK and have been working in HK for 7 years since i graduated. I got married in HK, my wife is a not from the UK, she is a local HK.

We are thinking about having a child soon and we both prefer the child to be brought up in the UK.

I believe the fact that i was born in the UK means the child would be a British Citizen even if he/she was born in HK. My question is:

Would the child be entitled to free education in the UK all the way up to the age of 18 even if the child was born outside of the UK but is a British Citizen?

I love HK and want to stay but with the way that the education system is in HK and the competitiveness in schools, i feel UK would be a more beneficial and comfortable environment for a kid growing up.

Hi there, im in the same situation as you (well sort of) i plan to bring my new born son back to uk after 1 year (im in china NOT hong Kong)

But after several searches etc, if you're british and your parents are both british i.e born n raised in UK then no problem at all, i plan to register my son with the british embassy n apply passport then back home, and to your other question

Why wouldn't the child get free education ? long as it says 'british citizen' on the passport and you are the father, whats the proplem ? you're child will also get a national insurance number as well, you shouldn't have anything to worry about, - i doubt UK would 'DARE' deny you and your childs right to enter n live in UK....

get the LOCAL birth cert at the HK hospital take it to the british embassy apply for consular birth registration (then you will get an offical legal british document here

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...tering-a-birth

This is what im planning to do, once my son is born. - also after 180 days you will then need to get a visa/stamp on the childs new passport (because it will be a british passport he/she will be classed as a foreigner.

Place of birth will be 'Hong Kong' on the passport.

LONG AS YOU'RE BRITISH should be ok

- sorry i couldn't help further it's all i know at the moment ! :-)

VeXx

Last edited by Vexcore; Jan 8th 2013 at 8:49 am.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 8:52 am
Just Joined

4h0ng is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Vexcore! I just needed clarification because i wasn't sure if my child was born outside of the UK s/he would be classed as an overseas student, which means high prices when it comes to education.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:14 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4h0ng
Hi, a freshie here.

As long as you were born in the UK then no problem . Something to think about for the future but you should make sure your kid is aware of the citizenship laws regarding being British . For example if your child had a kid with a non-Brit and the baby was born outside of the UK then the baby would not be British . British citizenship only goes down one generation opposed to Australian or Irish which goes down two.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:22 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
As long as you were born in the UK then no problem . Something to think about for the future but you should make sure your kid is aware of the citizenship laws regarding being British . For example if your child had a kid with a non-Brit and the baby was born outside of the UK then the baby would not be British . British citizenship only goes down one generation opposed to Australian or Irish which goes down two.
True, but he said he has a HK Wife, his son/daughter will not be a HK citizen (as long as he doesn't register the baby to the local HK authorities)

He will only get a HK Birth certificate at the local hospital then he will need to get the baby a citizenship and seeing as he was born in UK raised there that can be passed down to his son/daughter. there's no problem at all, and i doubt he will want his future son/daughter to have HK citizenship.

There's no reason the British law can deny him, the right for his 'child' to be a full fledged British citizen with the right of abode,

Anyway this is what i plan to do once my son is born, no way in hell is my child going to be a Chinese citizen.

But like you said, his 'child' will live in the uk so im sure it will be fine, considering the 'generations'

Last edited by Vexcore; Jan 9th 2013 at 3:24 am.