Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Applying for a tourist Visa from another country

Applying for a tourist Visa from another country

Old Aug 23rd 2013, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

barajoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for a tourist Visa from another country

I've made a similar post about this on the Spanish section but thought maybe someone here might know.

I'm living in Spain and I need to apply for a Chinese Tourist Visa. Does anyone happen to know if I can do this? On the Chinese embassy website the translation says 'For applicants of third country (non-Spanish), was asked to present the residence card in Spain, original and photocopy'

I don't have a Spanish residence card but have been living in Spain since January. I'd prefer not to go back home to sort this out but according to this looks like I might have to. Thought I'd ask anyway just in case someone was familiar with this and had done something similar!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 11:30 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for a tourist Visa from another country

It's China, so there is the rule on paper, and then the rule that is practiced.

Since the Olympics, nearly every Chinese consulate website has said "apply in the country of your RESIDENCE" with various types of proof of residence being required. Some people have gone to the consulates/embassies and been turned down applications because they weren't in their home country.

But others have had more luck. Here in Hong Kong you can apply for a visa to China even if you are not a resident of Hong Kong, provided you have a certain passport (US, UK, most of the EU, etc). However, should a US carrier battle group pass too close to Taiwan or the Dali Lama visit the PM, the rules can change in an instant.

Basically, rule on paper, rule of practice may differ. Give it a shot and if they say no, goto plan B.

You should be able to apply by mail back in the UK. Is that a possibility? Might be the easiest option.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 7:53 am
Just Joined

barajoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for a tourist Visa from another country

Originally Posted by penguinsix
It's China, so there is the rule on paper, and then the rule that is practiced.

Since the Olympics, nearly every Chinese consulate website has said "apply in the country of your RESIDENCE" with various types of proof of residence being required. Some people have gone to the consulates/embassies and been turned down applications because they weren't in their home country.

But others have had more luck. Here in Hong Kong you can apply for a visa to China even if you are not a resident of Hong Kong, provided you have a certain passport (US, UK, most of the EU, etc). However, should a US carrier battle group pass too close to Taiwan or the Dali Lama visit the PM, the rules can change in an instant.

Basically, rule on paper, rule of practice may differ. Give it a shot and if they say no, goto plan B.

You should be able to apply by mail back in the UK. Is that a possibility? Might be the easiest option.
Thanks a lot. I need to get it quick, so I'll try here first. Hopefully I'll be able to do it. I'll be getting a letter of invitation tomorrow from a language school where I'll be teaching so that should help I think.

Not sure if I'll have time or not if Plan A fails!