Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Airport buses dont give change

Airport buses dont give change

Old Jan 12th 2012, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Airport buses dont give change

I was in Hong Kong this week and when I boarded I was surprised and annoyed to find that the driver refused to give me change from a $100 note for the $39 fare. He said Citybus don't carry/give change and he also wasn't willing to let me pay on arrival.

I remember getting change in the past so when did this change?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

PeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud of
Default Re: Airport buses dont give change

I guess you mean the limited stop airport bus service - Cityflyer? Can't tell you when it changed but the main reason that no change is given is that most local bus users use the Octopus card for all their public transport trips - buses, MTR, tram etc etc. I hardly ever see anyone use real money now. I know it's a pain for visitors but that's the way it is - I'm not sure how easy it is to get change at the airport.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Yes that's the one. I appreciate that residents use Octopus but visitors probably don't and if they did they wouldn't be linked to a bank account for automatic top-up. I guess I am more annoyed at the driver's attitude who thought I was trying to pull a fast one and should have known better.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

You can buy an Octopus card at any underground station and at the airport railway desk. You can top it up easily at any of these places and cash it back in again at these same places before you leave.