British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   China/Hong Kong (https://britishexpats.com/forum/china-hong-kong-151/)
-   -   Advice Appreciated! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/china-hong-kong-151/advice-appreciated-906624/)

AmyW89 Dec 7th 2017 5:26 pm

Advice Appreciated!

Hi there

My husband and I are considering moving and working abroad, as we've decided that it's time for some new adventures and experiences!

He is currently an assistant head in a secondary school (maths teacher by background), and I am a clinical lead for school aged speech and language therapy services.

We are looking at UAE/Dubai/China areas for employment, but are open to other destinations. However, we wanted a little bit of information that we haven't yet come across elsewhere. I found this site and thought it would be a good place to start!

1. What would the typical working week look like in UAE/Dubai/China? Is it 9-5, Monday - Friday, or some variation on this? (I know Dubai weekends are Friday & Saturday)

2. Do school terms follow a similar pattern to that in the UK, e.g. 3 terms and a long break in the summer, or is it different?

3. Is there a "typical" amount of annual leave given to employees in these areas?

4. Do you have any information/guidance re. tax on wages & pension contributions, or know where to look for this information?

5. Is there an average salary for a speech & language therapist working in these countries? And are salary payments typically weekly/monthly?

6. What happens with regards to driving/getting a driving licence in UAE/Dubai/China? Is the UK licence transferable?

7. In terms of medical care, do these countries offer an NHS-type service, or more paid for, privatised care?

Thank you in advance - and sorry for the essay!!

Any form of guidance/advice/tips would be greatly appreciated

Amy

hong_konger Dec 10th 2017 8:55 am

Re: Advice Appreciated!

I can only speak for Hong Kong. See responses below against each question

Originally Posted by AmyW89 (Post 12395565)

1. What would the typical working week look like in UAE/Dubai/China? Is it 9-5, Monday - Friday, or some variation on this? (I know Dubai weekends are Friday & Saturday)

In teaching it would be based on a 5 day week Mon- Fri

2. Do school terms follow a similar pattern to that in the UK, e.g. 3 terms and a long break in the summer, or is it different?

Depends on the School. But many based on a system similar to UK. Australian International school follows the Aussie terms etc.

3. Is there a "typical" amount of annual leave given to employees in these areas?

Based around School Holidays +/-

4. Do you have any information/guidance re. tax on wages & pension contributions, or know where to look for this information?

You will pay a max of 15% tax and a small amount towards the government imposed mandatory provident fund (max HK$1,500 per month)

5. Is there an average salary for a speech & language therapist working in these countries? And are salary payments typically weekly/monthly?

No idea but it will probably be higher in than in UK

6. What happens with regards to driving/getting a driving licence in UAE/Dubai/China? Is the UK licence transferable?

If you have a UK licence its transferable in HK

7. In terms of medical care, do these countries offer an NHS-type service, or more paid for, privatised care?

Nothing like the NHS but there is a good local state hospital system where you pay a nominal charge. However, most expats have medical cover / insurance provided by employer.

Any form of guidance/advice/tips would be greatly appreciated

Accommodation and Schooling (if you have kids) are very expensive in HK. If you are teachers you may get a substantial discount on schooling.

You will be nearer to a UK system of living and working in HK than you will in the UAE or mainland China