Uruguay?

Old May 11th 2007, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

matttheboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Uruguay?

Originally Posted by dakota44
I love Peru too, but too much instability and greater poverty. Chile would be my choice. But don't let my Peruvian wife know I said that.
Man, you could get into trouble for that...that's like having a french wife and saying you'd rather live in belgium... or worse...england!

although i'd probably have to agree with you...

regarding uruguay, make sure you go to the huge sunday market in montevideo-any local will be able to tell you how to get there. also, there are some decent bars and restaurants around the old town near plaza independencia. and don't forget to to have a good chivito canadiense-a uruguayuan sandwich guaranteed to give you a heart attack...but pretty damn tasty...
Old May 12th 2007, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

apartmentsBA_com is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel very qualified to answer this question objectively as I have been to just about every country in South America and I actively travel almost monthly in the region. I live in Buenos Aires and I have full-time for over 3 years now (visiting years before moving here). I also own homes in Punta del Este, Uruguay and looking at other regions to buy real estate.

I agree and disagree with some of the comments. I think Mattboy unnecessarily needed to give that 'pot shot' to Chritian who made some good points about Buenos Aires. (incidentally I disagree with him that buying now is the height of the market --- some have been saying that for 2 years now -- I'm buying more now than ever and believe the capital appreciation will continue for several more years. Time will tell who is right and who is wrong).

Nonetheless, to answer your question. Much depends on what is important to you. Are you a "big city" type of person? Or can you stand a slow paced type of living? I would disagree with Christian that Uruguay would remind someone of Russia. Uruguayans are some of the nicest, friendliest people I have come across in my travels. There is a sort of calm there that I haven't seen in many places I've visited.

Montevideo is growing and probably will continue to develop. Personally Uruguay is too slow paced for me to live in all year round. I'm a "big city" type of person. I like dining out at many types of restaurants, I enjoy being able to shop for big ticket things, electronics, etc. very easily. It's not so easy in Uruguay and you are limited. Also, there isn't as much to see and do.

It all comes down to your personal situation. I'm single with no kids. Maybe if I had kids then my priorities would change. In Uruguay, my favorite city is Punta del Este and the surrounding areas (La Barra, Montoya, Manantiales, Jose Ignacio, etc). It's slow paced off -season but I still enjoy it. I own a house not far from the beach and it's a good get away. Like Christian mentioned, I can simply fly and in 45 minutes be at my home away from home. The air is clean, the ocean is beautiful and the city is great. It's akin to having a house in the Hamptons. I try to get away a long weekend per month and it's quite nice.

There are other cities as well. I just got back from Florianopolis, Brazil where I am tempted to purchase an ocean front apartment/home. Very nice city with friendly people and great beaches. Good weather. I very much enjoyed my trip there and was impressed with the City. I could see myself spending much of the year as well.

I think there are a lot of options for you. There are some great options. Personally I think the highest quality of life is in Buenos Aires with many various options. I saw that not because I live here and I say it completely objectively. The city is beautiful, there are many things to see and do (socially and culturally). There is a vibe and energy that doesn't exist anywhere else in South America. That is undisputable.

There are a lot of options. Post some things that are important to you and I'll try to post some additional feedback as I've traveled all around South America. Best of luck with all tha tyou do.
Old May 12th 2007, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

jammeing is an unknown quantity at this point

Appartments thanks for answering me...But what do you think of Costa Rica?

San Jose in particular and its environments? Jammeing..
Old May 13th 2007, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

apartmentsBA_com is an unknown quantity at this point

Costa Rica is a beautiful country but I wouldn't consider San Jose as the "beautiful part". Actually I found San Jose dingy and I would NEVER considering living in San Jose.

There are beautiful coastal towns. Again, much depends on the quality of life that you want, what things are important to you, do you have to be on the beach, etc.

Also, none of this even addresses the fact of what languages you happen to speak. Some people in retirement that don't speak the local language get a bit burned out after a while or some have to be around other Americans/Europeans.

Out of all the places in South America I have been I still prefer Argentina over many other countries. But you have to take all of these posts with a grain of salt. Some post things like "Chile is great" and actually out of all the places in South America I've been to I think I liked Chile the least. The economy is strong but it's also more expensive (which isn't a factor for me), the food wasn't that good, and I just didn't like it as much as other places.

I think wherever you are contemplating the best thing is for you to go and spend significant amounts of time in the places you are considering. Too many people retire in an area they read about but don't really put any serious time there.

My advice is to go to each of the places you are considering and spend significant amounts of time in each. I came to Buenos Aires I think 20 times before I decided to move there.

Cheers.
Old May 14th 2007, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Hey Dakota BA APARTMENTS seem to disagree with you on this one....

He thinks Chile is not so good but then again everyone has his own views and opinions..Jammeing...
Old Jun 4th 2007, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

TONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matttheboy
and don't forget to to have a good chivito canadiense-a uruguayuan sandwich guaranteed to give you a heart attack...but pretty damn tasty...
Hi please tell me what is in the sandwich, I am a bit of a foody and love to collect food ideas/recipes.
regards
Tony P
Old Jun 4th 2007, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

matttheboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TONY P
Hi please tell me what is in the sandwich, I am a bit of a foody and love to collect food ideas/recipes.
regards
Tony P
steak, ham, lettuce, tomato, bacon, cheese and a fried egg with ketchup and mayonnaise in a kind of baguette or toasted cheap plastic bag bread. with chips/fries on the side.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Hi Christian i am Paul/Jammeing from Uruguay expats forum...you said that Brazillia beaches are the best but you would not live there........why do you say that? What is wrong with Brazil to live? Paul///
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:13 am
Just Joined

BPeterB will become famous soon enoughBPeterB will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
what are the visa requirements for Uruaguay? Im a brit/NZ
"tourist" gets you 6 months on a UK or NZ passport. Just fill in the form on the plane. If you want to stay longer, pop across to BA and back
Old Sep 9th 2007, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

UPP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BPeterB
In my limited experience, and given a somewhat natural bias (my wife being Uruguayan), Uruguay has much to recommend it. I note the comments above about Argentina (lots of good things, but ... I'd never live there). Very definitely worth consideration as a pleasant place to live. We have apartments in M'deo and Punta, and am now actively investigating other opportunities there, but maybe I shouldn't shout too loud - after all we don't want the place ruined by expats

Hi Peter, I certainly agree with your point of view.
Since I live in Punta del Este all year round, I get a lot of response and comments from Argentineans who are not happy with the personal security in Buenos Aires and are therefore spending more and more months in tranquil Punta del Este. In the best spirit of British Expats, why don't you pop around for a cup of coffee, next time you come to Punta, just drop me an email: [email protected]
For all other expats out there, please contact me and I shall be glad to assist with good advice when it come to moving and living in Punta del Este

Margret