Travelling with multiple passports.

Old Jul 26th 2012, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Aidanmccarthy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling with multiple passports.

Hi,

Can anyone help me?

I have two passports and I'm entitled to a third. I am wondering if anyone knows about or has experience with the following example situation.

So for example, Brazil has a 90 day stay limit on a tourist visa. Could I enter on passport A, stay for 90 days then leave on the same passport before entering again on passport B and stay for a further 90. Then do the same again after the second 90 days etc.

Would this flag with the immigration officials? Will I get away with it?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Travelling with multiple passports.

Good question - depends on the state of the Brazilian immigration authority's ability to track tourist entrants by name & nationality.

Which country's passports are we talking about?
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Aidanmccarthy is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it make a difference which passports they are? German, Irish and British.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Aidanmccarthy
Does it make a difference which passports they are? German, Irish and British.
Well, the nationals of those countries can travel to Brazil as a tourist for up to 90 days without a visa.

I'm no lawyer, but I would guess that entering on a different passport each time at a different port of entry shouldn't cause problems (until the time some official gets wise!)
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

elhombresinnombre is an unknown quantity at this point

You cite Brazil as an example. Do you really mean it must be Brazil? Or is this a general question about any South American country - for example, Brazil?

For example Guyane: with a European passport you have the same rights to visit and the same rights of residence as you would have in mainland France. Guyane is a French department - merely a few thousand miles offshore to mainland France and all the rules of France apply there.

For example Chile. Your personal information is accessed on name and date of birth and is seeded through the system so it can pop up anywhere. I was, for a brief while, a non-person in Chile and I couldn't leave - until I backtracked to the point where an official had transcribed my date of birth as if it had been in the US format instead of UK. Once we had sorted out my birth date, I magically re-appeared.

For example Argentina. Once again they search on name and date of birth but because there is a conflict between immigration law and the country's constitution and the constitution takes precedence, many tourists simply overstay - sometimes for years - and the only consequence is a fine on exit - currently 300 pesos.

Each country is different: both in its laws and the interpretation of those laws. Never assume that Border control officers are stupid - they are just doing their job to meet the targets their own country imposes on them. And those targets are probably different from those you have experienced in Mexico, Britain or the USA

Edited to add: Sorry, that Mexico allusion may not be relevant to the OP. I was mixing his location up with that of someone else in this thread

Last edited by elhombresinnombre; Aug 7th 2012 at 12:57 pm. Reason: Correction
Old Aug 31st 2012, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

jago25_98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Enter on one passport, leave on another is a bad idea. After the visa runs out it looks like you've overstayed.

Better to continue the visa runs with the advantage that if you get denied reentry you still have your other passports to try.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

debzor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aidanmccarthy
Hi,

Can anyone help me?

I have two passports and I'm entitled to a third. I am wondering if anyone knows about or has experience with the following example situation.

So for example, Brazil has a 90 day stay limit on a tourist visa. Could I enter on passport A, stay for 90 days then leave on the same passport before entering again on passport B and stay for a further 90. Then do the same again after the second 90 days etc.

Would this flag with the immigration officials? Will I get away with it?

Thanks in advance.
No, you cannot do this in Brazil. Whether you have a visa or not, you will be given an entry stamp on arrival. When leaving they will look for this stamp to see how long you have been here, and your second passport will not have it...

However, as a tourist, you will be able to stay for 90 days, renewable within Brazil for another 90 days (ie almost 6 months continuous), and then you can actually stay for up to another 100 days, by just paying a fine of about R$8.30 per day before you leave, without any other penalty. But you cannot come back to Brazil for 6 months after this.