Rentista visa - Peru

Old Aug 4th 2012, 7:23 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough
Default Rentista visa - Peru

A bit of background - I've posted a few things on the USA forum over the years. I'm a dual US/UK citizen, early 50's, lived in Canada and US for 20 years and recently I've been formulating some possible retirement plans. Basic idea is that I don't want to retire in the USA for multiple reasons (cost, boredom, disillusionment). My wife and I are planning a somewhat nomadic retirement (at least initially), selling our house, car and everything and renting in different countries for about 1 year at a time. First thoughts are to start in the UK, then France, Spain, Italy or wherever in the EU we fancy making use of our UK citizenship. But I just spent a month in Lima on business and I realized there's a whole continent down there that we've just ignored our whole life. So now we're thinking we should investigate first living for a while in Peru or Chile or Ecuador or Colombia, or all the above! Again, maybe a year at a time. Lima's a bit crazy traffic-wise. I was staying in Miraflores and working at the airport so I got the full measure of taxista excitement each day! I don't know why, but I found myself liking the place a lot more than I thought I would and I could see myself spending a little while in Peru. Has anyone done the rentista visa thing for retirees in Peru? If so, are there any complications and tips you would like to share?
Old Apr 10th 2013, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rentista visa - Peru

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
A bit of background - I've posted a few things on the USA forum over the years. I'm a dual US/UK citizen, early 50's, lived in Canada and US for 20 years and recently I've been formulating some possible retirement plans. Basic idea is that I don't want to retire in the USA for multiple reasons (cost, boredom, disillusionment). My wife and I are planning a somewhat nomadic retirement (at least initially), selling our house, car and everything and renting in different countries for about 1 year at a time. First thoughts are to start in the UK, then France, Spain, Italy or wherever in the EU we fancy making use of our UK citizenship. But I just spent a month in Lima on business and I realized there's a whole continent down there that we've just ignored our whole life. So now we're thinking we should investigate first living for a while in Peru or Chile or Ecuador or Colombia, or all the above! Again, maybe a year at a time. Lima's a bit crazy traffic-wise. I was staying in Miraflores and working at the airport so I got the full measure of taxista excitement each day! I don't know why, but I found myself liking the place a lot more than I thought I would and I could see myself spending a little while in Peru. Has anyone done the rentista visa thing for retirees in Peru? If so, are there any complications and tips you would like to share?
Did not see this before. I have been living in Peru on a rentista for 4 years now. Quite easy to get. It really is somewhat simple. First, you need to obtain proof of your lifetime pension (minimum of $1000 per month for you and another $500 for any family member) and that has to be stamped by a Peruvian consulate in the country where the pension exists.

Once you have that, you can simply come to Peru as a tourist and apply for a change in status. It is best to have a local lawyer handle it for you as they need to have the documents that the consulate stamped translated into Spanish and then legalized. Then it all goes to Migraciones and you need to sign a form saying that you have no criminal record in Peru or any other country.

After that it usually take a month or so. You can enter Peru as a visitor for up to 180 days. Ask for the maximum when you arrive. Sometimes they will only stamp your card for 90 days, so you want to be sure they give you the 180. Worst case, if your time is running out, hop a flight to Chile for a few days and reenter.

When everything is all approved,you go to Migraciones and get your identity card. Believe me, however, you want a lawyer to handle all of this. They know all they need to do and where they need to go. Usually it is about $200 to $300 or so or the lawyer and maybe another $150 or so in fees and translations. Any other questions,. just ask.