Regarding Quinceanera

Old Apr 8th 2015, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Questions_Mexico is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Regarding Quinceanera

Hi,

I'm a 51 year-old British guy renting a room from a half-Mexican family (the wife is Mexican) and their daughter has her Quinceanera soon. I don't really see much of her but she's a nice girl and as I live in the same house I felt I should at least buy a card, which I've found on-line. Is there any particular phrase, in Mexican, that I should include? I can use a translation service for the rest of the greeting but I wanted to know if there were any traditional inclusions that I should be aware of. Alternatively, can someone suggest a suitable message (again in mexican)?

Also, would it be a nice idea to buy flowers, or is that too OTT for someone I don't really know that well? And are there any particular flowers that have any significance?

Thank you for your help

Baffled of London (!)
Old Apr 11th 2015, 12:37 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regarding Quinceanera

Originally Posted by Questions_Mexico
Hi,

I'm a 51 year-old British guy renting a room from a half-Mexican family (the wife is Mexican) and their daughter has her Quinceanera soon. I don't really see much of her but she's a nice girl and as I live in the same house I felt I should at least buy a card, which I've found on-line. Is there any particular phrase, in Mexican, that I should include? I can use a translation service for the rest of the greeting but I wanted to know if there were any traditional inclusions that I should be aware of. Alternatively, can someone suggest a suitable message (again in mexican)?

Also, would it be a nice idea to buy flowers, or is that too OTT for someone I don't really know that well? And are there any particular flowers that have any significance?

Thank you for your help

Baffled of London (!)
I would stick to a simple "muchas felicidades" on the card and perhaps a box of chocolates. It's polite, friendly, and doesn't stray over into behaviours that might belong to either family or romantic interest.

I don't know of any special words or phrases. In my experience the parents might make a speech, and sometimes there is a mass if they are practicing catholics.
Old May 15th 2015, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

TimeTraveler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Regarding Quinceanera

The card could also say "Feliz Cumpleanos" which means happy birthday. It's her 15th birthday celebration. Flowers and candy are nice or just stick with the card and flowers. It's a big event.