Panama Republic - Help

Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:41 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Panama Republic - Help

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Have never before been to Panama.[or for that matter anywhere in Central or South America]But have travelled quite extensively in the other continents.
What attracted me in the first place to Panama was the apparent ease to settle there in terms of immigration requirements,[money,tax,visa etc] Also it being one of the only countries where English is fairly well understood at least in the capital which would allow time for our Spanish to improve.
Also from what i understand Panama City is a colourful international trading centre and cosmopolitan to boot.
Weather being hot and humid most the time is not a problem for us andused to that from Asia aswell as here in OZ[have lived in Darwin and Cairns]
Have looked at a few countries in the region,for example Belize and Costa Rico but neither impress very much.
The initial attractions of low cost living probably does not really apply these days so i feel we would not seek to stay long term besides a possible three month spell.
About six or so years ago i met a French woman in Thailand whom lived nine months a year in a hotel in Panama City and most the rest of the time in two locations in Thailand.She spoke so highly of that city and country that it got me interested to research it.
Prior to that Panama meant Canal, a country that the US had invaded to remove the leader and a country where a lot of the world merchant shipping fleet chose to register ships.
To be honest with you your assumptions about Panama City are fairly accurate and it will meet the requirements you are looking for.

Firstly it has good immigration requirements, very good infrastructure for Latin America, English widely spoken etc and as a bonus for you, cost of living is very cheap. In fact the only thing that is expensive is buying property. Also most of the city is safe by latin standards, even though travelling by car or taxi is advised by night. And if your used to the heat then that is not an issue. Its a pity there are not more posts by people on here that live in Panama, because they could give you a lot more depth than I can as I am sure there are pitfulls somewhere. Saying that though, many people seem to settle in Panama and prior to going there, have even less knowledge than you have and from my experiences talking to them seem to really enjoy it there.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
To be honest with you your assumptions about Panama City are fairly accurate and it will meet the requirements you are looking for.

Firstly it has good immigration requirements, very good infrastructure for Latin America, English widely spoken etc and as a bonus for you, cost of living is very cheap. In fact the only thing that is expensive is buying property. Also most of the city is safe by latin standards, even though travelling by car or taxi is advised by night. And if your used to the heat then that is not an issue. Its a pity there are not more posts by people on here that live in Panama, because they could give you a lot more depth than I can as I am sure there are pitfulls somewhere. Saying that though, many people seem to settle in Panama and prior to going there, have even less knowledge than you have and from my experiences talking to them seem to really enjoy it there.
Thanks for post it has renewed interest in Panama.I think a visit is well in order and check out the country.
I guess why more people who are living in Panama do not comment is that most living there or with knowledge of Panama are Americans and Canadians and this being a British Expat site would not entice them to contribute.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:01 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for post it has renewed interest in Panama.I think a visit is well in order and check out the country.
I guess why more people who are living in Panama do not comment is that most living there or with knowledge of Panama are Americans and Canadians and this being a British Expat site would not entice them to contribute.
Very true every English speaking expat that I met there or heard, had a North American accent.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

Dagda is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Linda Berlandier-Robinson
Desperate to find fellow Brits who are either already retired/living in Panama (the country with the canal) or who plan to.

Is there anyone out there?? Please reply here or to my <<personal email address removed>>.

Linda
Hi Linda,
I'm a Scot currently living in Panama these past 5+ years and loving it.
Let me know how I can help.
Rab.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dagda
Hi Linda,
I'm a Scot currently living in Panama these past 5+ years and loving it.
Let me know how I can help.
Rab.
Hi there, I am in Canada and looking at countries such as Panama and Mexico for an early retirement. May I ask what made you choose Panama?
Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Hi there, I am in Canada and looking at countries such as Panama and Mexico for an early retirement. May I ask what made you choose Panama?
I would like to second that Dagda.I live in Perth Australia.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by johnh009
First of all, where I am, in the Boquete area of Panama there are almost as many Canadians as there are Americans - to the best of my knowledge I'm the only Scot, come to think of it that might be a good thing, we can be an unruly bunch.
Before I moved here 5+ years ago I visited Panama, Argentina and Uruguay and confess that if I had been a younger man I would have taken a more serious look at Argentina - I loved the Mendoza wine region - and Uruguay for it's coastal areas. Anyway, I decided that I wanted to live a dream of living in the Caribbean - the Panamanian stretch is not in the hurricane track thus the weather is very favourable - so I visited the area for about 3 months. I should say I'm not an independently wealthy man so a 3 month "vacation" was a bit of a risk but neither did I speak any Spanish so it gave me time to start on that as well as finding out all about life, government and property laws. To cut a very long story short I decided that as most of the land for sale in the coastal areas in those days was "Right of Possession" and not "Titled" I decided that if I let me heart rule the day I ran the risk of losing everything I had. I then decided to follow the other Gringo money and take a look inland up in the mountain area of Chiriqui. Again I stayed for 3 months and during this time I felt an increasing sense of well being and vitality - might have had something to do with eating "typico" local food with no preservatives and picking fresh fruit off trees as I literally hacked my way through the countryside with my new machete. During this time I learned the hard way about many of the pitfalls of being a"stranger" anywhere. My Dad always said; "Education is expensive" but I can honestly say I wouldn't change things one bit. I bought a 32 acre (Titled) Finca on which I plan to plant fruit trees, grow some organic veggies, raise a few beasties and build my own home from the plethora of natural rock I now own. I have enough land to sell a little to one or two "like minded souls" and help me build the farm. I don't have any experience in this but I've made local friends here - many Gringos don't, they isolate themselves in their "gated communities" and labour is cheap and appreciative and the wealth of "holistic" knowledge abounds. My assets are covered by an offshore corporation and soon I will create a "foundation" which will "bury" it all even deeper and I bank with an outfit that has NO outside reporting facility with any other country. On the downside; I'm on Lawyer #6 - the others being, shall we say, less than honest but not really subtle. Panamanian drivers are horrendous so you have to "think" for everyone and - though this doesn't affect me - land prices have sky-rocketed although I think we'll see those come down a bit now that the global depression is under way.
Sorry for the "essay"; let me know if you have any specific areas you'd like to talk about.
It's a beautiful day here and I'm off to sit on my land, watch the birds hunt in the canyon below, drink a .30 cent beer and visualize where I'm going to build my home.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:10 am
Just Joined

ctsbillc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Another Canadian Brit here.

We are considering retirement in Panama, in fact we leave for a two week visit tomorrow.

May I ask how close to the volcano is your land? According to the USGS, Baru is overdue for its eruption, and they do tend to be violent.

The area you have chosen certainly looks like one of the nicest areas, but too close to the volcano, and the investment is a bit short term.

Best Regards,
Bill
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Panama Republic - Help

Originally Posted by ctsbillc
Hi. Another Canadian Brit here.

We are considering retirement in Panama, in fact we leave for a two week visit tomorrow.

May I ask how close to the volcano is your land? According to the USGS, Baru is overdue for its eruption, and they do tend to be violent.

The area you have chosen certainly looks like one of the nicest areas, but too close to the volcano, and the investment is a bit short term.

Best Regards,
Bill
Good Mornng Bill,
Thank you for the note; my land, and in fact the whole Boquete area, sits on the opposite side of Baru from the towns of Cerro Punta and Volcan. I confess that I never considered the proximity of Baru when I bought my land. I fell in love with the place and based my decision to buy more on views, location (to everything else but still secluded) etc. No volcano on earth is "extinct" and having lived the life I've lived I figure if it's my time, it's my time. In any case, if the volcanos in either Yellowstone or Chile decide to go then nowhere on earth will be far enough away and they seem much more "imminent" than Baru. No one here is talking about a Baru eruption but I guess they didn't at Pompey either eh? Actually about a year ago some Seismologist published an article locally and said that if/when Baru blows again it will blow on the Volcan side because of the way the crown is formed, either way, I have other fish to fry.
I'm not sure what you mean by "the investment being a bit short term" but if you get a chance let me know. My number here in Panama is<<snip>>, keep it handy and if you run into trouble or need a hand in any way jut give me call.
Have a safe trip and enjoy Panama.

Last edited by Sue; Feb 1st 2009 at 1:42 pm. Reason: tel no removed. Its not wise to post personal info like that on a public forum
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:31 am
Just Joined

I would like to second that Dagda.I live in Perth Australia.
Hi John,
I'm not sure if my "post" ansered your question - I'm kind of new at this stuff.
Let me know if you have any specific questions about Panama or why I chose it as a "final destination"
Cheers.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Eurodog
Thank Heaven I thought I was going to be on my own in Panama.......my wife and I are serious about relocating and intend to visit in the next few months. For some reason I am unable to PM you with a few questions (something about site rules) but I have moved before to another country (France) and the unwary can be taken advantage a lot as you know...Thanks in advance...........
Woof, woof!
This may be a little late but if there's anything I can do to help in your Panama research please just let me know. I've been living here for almost 6 years now and fallen down enough to have a pretty good handle on things now.
I love it here and would recommend it to anyone who is too tightly wound.
Now will you take me for a walk, please?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 2:37 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the prompt reply. As you say, far as the volcano goes, no point in worrying now ;-)
the USGS report says much the same as your local guy, volcan get obliterated. The Boquete side gets a re-modeling of the landscape, ash and burning.

Dang, I said no point in worrying. May not happen for 100 years.

We have landed in Panama now. Friendliest immigration officer i've ever met. In the city, folks were very friendly. We are in Santiago now, and I don't think they are very used to foreigners here. Not unfriendly, but very guarded, and we are closely scrutinized walking down the street. Folks this pale are obviously an oddity in these parts. We visited the cathedral this evening. A concert was in progress. Very nice.

We will visit the boquete area next week. Hope the volcano behaves itself. Dang, I mentioned it again.

Best regards,
Bill
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Bienvenidos a Panama.I'm glad your first impression has been a positive one. I think you'll find the Panamanians a friendly and helpful bunch.
Santiago must be pretty hot right now (beginning of Summer and all that) David will be about the same when you arrive there but we're only 30 minutes up the hill from there and the temps here right now are perfect.
Bien viajes and call me if you run into any trouble or want a .75cent beer when you get here.
Rab.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Temperature here in Santiago is just about perfect at present. Beer here in the hotel is a bit expensive - one dollar, but we can stretch to that. We spent the morning milking cows at a friends ranch, and will do some real estate stuff tomorrow.

One thing is plain, it is possible to build a real nice place here at a good price. Our friends have hired a master carpenter full time who is building everything from doors to cabinets. He starts with a tree trunk, saws the planks, leaves them to dry out for a few month, and finished with an excellent and unique product. anywhere "civilized" this would cost a fortune.

Bill
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

It sounds as though you're settling right in; beer at a dollar still can't be a bad bet eh?
The Gringos only have themselves to blame for high cost of anything here; I wish I had a penny for every time I've heard, "oh that's; so cheap" uttered by Gringo(a) only to find the same item priced higher the next time I wanted it.
Oh well, can't change the world right?
Your friend seems to have the right idea; find someone who can get the job done, treat them right (fairly) and have the strength of conviction to know that even that might not get you a straight deal but you'll do it again anyway because that's how you'd like to be treated and because that's who you are.
I sleep very well at night.
Enjoy yourself and take the time to smell the coffee.
Rab.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.