Panama Republic - Help

Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Eurodog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Panama Republic - Help

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Just rub neosporin on it. If the rash hasn't gone down in three days, you need to see a doctor.
Do you mind..never had a dose, and don't want another......
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:31 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eurodog
In some cases I would agree with you but if I have a question of a personal nature relating to my circumstances I don't think it might approriate to share with the world...................
As meauxna said, its a strange way to look at things when thats what a forum is all about. You know as much about someone you are pming as anyone else on here
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:50 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eurodog
In some cases I would agree with you but if I have a question of a personal nature relating to my circumstances I don't think it might approriate to share with the world...................
Well I can't afford a ransom note, can you not ask FARC nicely to just let you go and try and make your own way out of the Darien Forest?
Old Aug 8th 2008, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
Well I can't afford a ransom note, can you not ask FARC nicely to just let you go and try and make your own way out of the Darien Forest?
Well in that unlikely event I obviously will not be able to call upon my American friends for funds as they are struggling to pay their mortgages, but being a French resident I think the President might have a bit of pull?....
Old Aug 9th 2008, 7:26 am
Just Joined

On a more serious topic does anyone have any personal knowledge of the gun laws currently in Panama or where I might get the information?...thanks...
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:41 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes

http://www.panamalaw.org/panama_gun_laws.html
Old Oct 21st 2008, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

frijolito is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, just registered so sorry for the late reply. I;ve been here 5 years (young expat, working) I don't think its necessary to have a gun to be honest, take the right home precautions and you should never have a problem. Also having a gun makes you a target in some cases as they are interested in robbing your weapon nothing more!

If your really worried carry a tazer in the car, but more than that you should never need.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 2:17 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frijolito
Hi guys, just registered so sorry for the late reply. I;ve been here 5 years (young expat, working) I don't think its necessary to have a gun to be honest, take the right home precautions and you should never have a problem. Also having a gun makes you a target in some cases as they are interested in robbing your weapon nothing more!

If your really worried carry a tazer in the car, but more than that you should never need.
Despite one or two bad neighbourhoods in Panama City, always thought it seemed safe in relation to a lot of other latin american countries, so would have said a gun wasn`t necessary.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

frijolito is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Despite one or two bad neighbourhoods in Panama City, always thought it seemed safe in relation to a lot of other latin american countries, so would have said a gun wasn`t necessary.
Totally agree with you mate, to be honest I feel safer here than the UK. There are lots of bad neighborhoods in every city, its just about being smart. I regularly walk home drunk through some of the bad places and nothing has ever happened, but I wouldn't recommend it, its more drunk stupidity and luck that got me through, especially when a taxi anywhere in the city costs between $1 - $2 to pretty much anywhere in a 10KM radius..
Old Oct 21st 2008, 3:19 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frijolito
Totally agree with you mate, to be honest I feel safer here than the UK. There are lots of bad neighborhoods in every city, its just about being smart. I regularly walk home drunk through some of the bad places and nothing has ever happened, but I wouldn't recommend it, its more drunk stupidity and luck that got me through, especially when a taxi anywhere in the city costs between $1 - $2 to pretty much anywhere in a 10KM radius..
As you say everybody takes taxis in these places and they are dirt cheap. Panama City is certainly safer than London and many other major cities as well. I would sooner walk home drunk in Panama city than I would in London.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ilovepanama
I am from the United States but know many Brits living in Panama. I would love to answer any questions regarding living/retiring in Panama.

I live in a small town in the mountains of western Panama, but also have an apartment in Panama City. I have been living in Panama full time for over 2 years.

I am open to answering any questions about Panama and my answers are always honest and non-promotional.
Had an interest to relocate to Panama a few years ago then from research thought we had missed the boat price wise so to speak.
Was looking more at Panama City but was put off by what looked like gross over development and rip off prices at least towards foreigners.

What are your feelings towards doing business there and banks etc.
Can you give us an idea with regards to renting in that city?
Many Thanks
Old Nov 5th 2008, 10:42 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Had an interest to relocate to Panama a few years ago then from research thought we had missed the boat price wise so to speak.
Was looking more at Panama City but was put off by what looked like gross over development and rip off prices at least towards foreigners.

What are your feelings towards doing business there and banks etc.
Can you give us an idea with regards to renting in that city?
Many Thanks
Property prices there certainly are a rip off, but I think you will find in many cases it is foreigner looking to rip off foreigner so often the case in Latin America. From what I remember, there are a lot of great opportunities still to be had outside of Panama City places like Bocas del Toro etc... But if you want the City then that`s gonna be a bit far away.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Property prices there certainly are a rip off, but I think you will find in many cases it is foreigner looking to rip off foreigner so often the case in Latin America. From what I remember, there are a lot of great opportunities still to be had outside of Panama City places like Bocas del Toro etc... But if you want the City then that`s gonna be a bit far away.
You have more or less confirmed what i heard.Still may visit but fares from Australia are very high so will wait until we return to Europe in 2010 for an extended stay and go from there.
Will look more towards renting than buying and keeping all options open.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 11:41 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by the troubadour
You have more or less confirmed what i heard.Still may visit but fares from Australia are very high so will wait until we return to Europe in 2010 for an extended stay and go from there.
Will look more towards renting than buying and keeping all options open.
Out of interest would this be your first visit to Panama? And if it is what have you heard about lifestyle and climate there etc?
Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Out of interest would this be your first visit to Panama? And if it is what have you heard about lifestyle and climate there etc?
Have never before been to Panama.[or for that matter anywhere in Central or South America]But have travelled quite extensively in the other continents.
What attracted me in the first place to Panama was the apparent ease to settle there in terms of immigration requirements,[money,tax,visa etc] Also it being one of the only countries where English is fairly well understood at least in the capital which would allow time for our Spanish to improve.
Also from what i understand Panama City is a colourful international trading centre and cosmopolitan to boot.
Weather being hot and humid most the time is not a problem for us andused to that from Asia aswell as here in OZ[have lived in Darwin and Cairns]
Have looked at a few countries in the region,for example Belize and Costa Rico but neither impress very much.
The initial attractions of low cost living probably does not really apply these days so i feel we would not seek to stay long term besides a possible three month spell.
About six or so years ago i met a French woman in Thailand whom lived nine months a year in a hotel in Panama City and most the rest of the time in two locations in Thailand.She spoke so highly of that city and country that it got me interested to research it.
Prior to that Panama meant Canal, a country that the US had invaded to remove the leader and a country where a lot of the world merchant shipping fleet chose to register ships.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.