Panama

Old Aug 2nd 2009, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Dagda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Panama

Hi John,
Let's see if I can help with any of your issues.
I'm a Scot living here in Panama (up in the Boquete area) these last 6 years.
First of all I have two friends here who are day traders so that answer that one. As for internet connections; there are various provides depending on where you locate, various connection speeds are available e.g. I half 500mb wireless and pay $50 a month including my T.V cable.
I personally wouldn't want to live in Panama City; it's too hot (and I like the heat, but it's HOT) I just don't like city living and P.C. is no different to any big city. As for the kids; you might be better to look outside the city, maybe even up in the mountain area here in Chiriqui (Province) When I got here at first it was the second most popular retirement destination in the world and of course that meant mostly older folks. Now, we are supposedly the number one "relocation" destination in the world and there are many more families with young kids to be seen out and about. I don't have kids but I hear the private schools are good and inexpensive and there are always retired teachers interested in doing extra tutoring. I wouldn't move anywhere else at this point and I worked and lived all over the world. I think with what we see coming down the pipe, Panama may be one of the few places left where you can create - and afford - a quality life for you and your family.
If you have any other questions just let me know. Good luck with the search
and remember; feint heart never won fair lady.
Rab.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

kbrinner is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been traveling through Latin America for the last year, and really enjoyed the month we spent in Panama. It's cheaper than Costa Rica but has a lot of the same things to offer - great white sand beaches on the Pacific, the wonderful San Blas Islands in the Caribbean, beautiful mountain towns of Boquette and El Valle, and then huge and kind of insane Panama City if you need 'a big city' (link removed)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Sep 6th 2009 at 9:05 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 5:47 pm
Banned

Balboa_Inn_Panama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Panama with kids

Hi John,

I have 3 kids ages 7 and 9; we came down here almost 5 years ago. We live in Clayton, the green outskirts of Panama City. Our kids also go to school there (Balboa Academy) and we can't have a better setup. They go to school on their bicycle. I don't know where else in Latin America that would be possible instead of reckless. Being Dutch, this is of course a big deal :-).

There are not that many good international schools (compared to Costa Rica) but there's ours, ISP (International School of Panama (grossly overpriced) and there Oxford International and Oxford Academy.

There are no decent schools outside the Panama City metropolitan area. Panamanian (public) schools are below standard. Period.

Internet access is fine. While overpriced (thank you Cable & Worthless), it works and you can do daytrading. I know one person doing that and there's also Thales Securities, a local brokerage house that has been around for many years and could not live without reliable Internet.

Stop putting up with the louse weather. Come to Panama. But start with a fact finding mission with your wife.

Best regards,

Thorwald Westmaas
(SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Sep 19th 2009 at 10:37 pm. Reason: No advertising in the forums please
Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

johndrake is an unknown quantity at this point

Thorwald - thanks for your email - really useful. Kids getting to school on bike does sound good!

We do hope to come out before the end of the year on a fact-finding trip and also just to get a better feel for the place. It's very hard from here trying to figure out what parts of the city would be the best for us to live in and would work on a daily basis (i.e. school runs not too long, good surroundings, how long to get into the city centre etc). How is Clayton? Both from a school and family perspective (what stuff can you do with kids nearby) and also in terms of eating out and access to the city? We dont have to live in the middle of the city but coming from London we will need some urban vibe fairly often!

Also, presumably the community you meet via the school is very international? Is it very American-dominated? Is it generally friendly and welcoming?! We haven't done enough research to decide on schools yet but Balboa does sound great.

....i also wonder how tough it will be not speaking spanish....although my wife is not far from fluent....I dont speak a word.....

thanks for your help!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

panamathor is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear John,

Glad I could be of help. Yes, our situation is pretty ideal in Clayton which has made it a very popular area amongst foreigners who seem to value space and green areas more than the average Panamanian.

Look up Clayton on Google Earth and you see what I mean. Besides the huge park there are sport facilities (big pool, tennis courts, gym). You can be in the City center in 15-30 mininutes (depending on location and time) but for shopping there's a good supermarket within a 5-10 minute drive (+ another pool, gym, Blockbuster video, pharmacy, domestic airport and services like it).

In 15 minutes you can be at the Amador Causeway where you'll find restaurants, a marina, great views, running and bicycling opportunity. Very popular during the weekend.

From Clayton it's 15 minutes to the new highway accross the Isthmus. From there it's a 30 minute drive over the 'Autobahn' to Colon. When I drive over it, I get a smile on my face when I think of the old road.

The Caribbean coast doesn't offer much tourism infrastructure yet but it's slowly changing.

What kind of job would you have? Depending on that, you'll need Spanish skills. At any case you'll have to invest some time in learning Spanish even if don't work :-).

Saludos,

Thorwald

(p.s.: I had to change my account name as didn't meet
the forum rules)
Old Nov 4th 2009, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

johndrake is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again. Hope you are well. I am now trying to plan a trip in the next month or so.

Today I noticed the below article which freaked me out a little. What do you think? How bad a problem is crime and particularly violent crime in Panama city and do you notice an upturn?

Also how big a problem would it be livign in the middle of the city (perhaps in the ocean-front developments) and getting your kids to and from school if that was say the Balboa Academy in Clayton?

thanks again for your advice!

http://www.isn.ethz.ch/isn/Current-A...g=en&id=106768
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

exgeordie is just really niceexgeordie is just really niceexgeordie is just really niceexgeordie is just really niceexgeordie is just really niceexgeordie is just really niceexgeordie is just really niceexgeordie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dagda
Hi Lainey,
I'm a Scot who has lived in Panama for the past 5+ years. Let me know if I can help in any way. I wouldn't change anything about my life here in Panama but if someone had answered some truthful questions before I started stumbling my way throught the process it might have helped.
My Dad always said "good education is expensive"
Good luck in your quest.
Rab
nicely put Rab! I live in Canada and am looking to move to Panama with my wife and two dogs. It is hard to get advice on the internet from someone who is not flogging something. You are talking to a 'Scotsman with his brains knocked out'!
Geordie
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

exgeordie is just really niceexgeordie is just really niceexgeordie is just really niceexgeordie is just really niceexgeordie is just really niceexgeordie is just really niceexgeordie is just really niceexgeordie is just really nice

WELL i have posted a few times, hoping to find decent people and Nada!, hope you do not think i am in your face
Old May 2nd 2010, 12:00 am
Just Joined

letfreedomring is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband and I are interested in re-locating to Panama. He is from the UK and I am American. My background is in banking, retail and I am currently a licensed 220 insurance agent. I cannot find any information on the insurance business in Panama. Is there any need for an English speaking (some Spanish too) insurance agent there? My husband restores and shows English Classic cars. Are there any British car enthusiasts there? Car clubs? Shows? We also remodel and restore older homes and buildings as a hobby, any call for this? We were also wondering if it is a difficult process to build a new home? Permits? Fees? Restrictions? Are materials easily available? We are interested in the areas of Coronado and El Valle and plan a trip over next month to research. Any information you can offer would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you!
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Hi all!! New to this type of forum. Looks fun! Questions for you, please.

My husband and I are interested in re-locating to Panama. He is from the UK and I am American. My background is in banking, retail and I am currently a licensed 220 insurance agent. I cannot find any information on the insurance business in Panama. Is there any need for an English speaking (some Spanish too) insurance agent there? My husband restores and shows English Classic cars. Are there any British car enthusiasts there? Car clubs? Shows? We also remodel and restore older homes and buildings as a hobby, any call for this? We were also wondering if it is a difficult process to build a new home? Permits? Fees? Restrictions? Are materials easily available? We are interested in the areas of Coronado and El Valle and plan a trip over next month to research. Any information you can offer would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you!
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Is there any interest in English Classic cars in Panama? Car clubs? Car shows? Thanks!
Old May 9th 2010, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Dagda is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by letfreedomring
Is there any interest in English Classic cars in Panama? Car clubs? Car shows? Thanks!
To the best of my knowledge there isn't much interest in classic cars. There are a few here but I think I have only seen two car show in the 7 years that I've been here. There are some fairly active motorcycle clubs spread between here and Costa Rica but I rather think that Panamanian roads might be a wee bit tough on a classic car.
Let me know if you have nay further questions.
Good luck.
Dagda
Old May 16th 2010, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your kind response. We are hoping to find high ocean view land around 5 acres perhaps near El Valle (suggestions?). Are there any particular building restrictions for homes/garages or permitting issues? What are the property taxes like after your 20 years expire? We are planning a visit the first part of September. Thank you for any information you can offer.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

bexter is a jewel in the roughbexter is a jewel in the roughbexter is a jewel in the roughbexter is a jewel in the roughbexter is a jewel in the rough

A few questions on this thread .. how easy is it to liev there ... i.e. to get a visa to stay there? Can I buy property and how soon after arriving? Do I have to be a resident of some kind to be able to buy a house? I plan on teacching English, but I can't take my TEFL course until I get to Panama - does anyone know of schools in Pnama that actually teach teachers the TEFL course, so that I can then teach English to students...!

My ex-husband lives in Panama City alrady. I am moving over there in January with our children. What will £100,000 buy me house-wise in Panama City?

Thank!
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

bexter is a jewel in the roughbexter is a jewel in the roughbexter is a jewel in the roughbexter is a jewel in the roughbexter is a jewel in the rough

Hi

Me again - I have a classic car - a Triumph Stag. I really want to bring it with me, but perhaps not a good idea. Did you get out to Panama yet? Are there any classic car clubs there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.