Panama

Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

rubber101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Panama

Hi
We are looking for any information on Panama & what it may be like to live & work there.
We are a family of 4 ( 2 teenagers) searching for a new life & are looking for the best investment & future prospects to relocate.
If anyone out there can give us an insight to Panama it would be much appreciated.
Thanks All
Lainey
Old Dec 14th 2007, 3:04 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Panama

I've been to Panama City.

it's like Miami by the Pacific.

as they use US Dollars as the principal currency I imagine it's pretty cheap, however I don't know how easy visa's are to come by.

apparently 250,000 americans have retired there.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 3:38 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by rubber101
Hi
We are looking for any information on Panama & what it may be like to live & work there.
We are a family of 4 ( 2 teenagers) searching for a new life & are looking for the best investment & future prospects to relocate.
If anyone out there can give us an insight to Panama it would be much appreciated.
Thanks All
Lainey
Once you've posted 3 times I can pm you somewhere you can get a heckuva lot of great info - I investigated Panama extensively as a destination for my S.AFrican in-laws.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

rubber101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Panama

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Once you've posted 3 times I can pm you somewhere you can get a heckuva lot of great info - I investigated Panama extensively as a destination for my S.AFrican in-laws.
Thanks redlippie i am sorry but forums are new to me could u explain what pm means and what do i have to post three times
many thanks

lainey
Old Dec 14th 2007, 5:07 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Okay. Post one more time and I'll be able to send you a private message.

If you look right up top of your screen on the right hand side, it says Private Messages. Click on there and you will see a message from me. Click on the link and you can open it. There are various boards I used to post on with very helpful folk based in Panama - some were Europeans, a couple Brits.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 6:07 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks redlippie i am sorry but forums are new to me could u explain what pm means and what do i have to post three times
many thanks

lainey
You can have and send personal messages to people by clicking on the name and choosing the pm option. But you have to post 4 times before you can do this, and this is to stop spammers registering on the site and then pming people
Old Dec 17th 2007, 2:36 am
Just Joined

Babbsy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been interested in Panama as well since I know a collegue who has currently been there working for the past 6 years in accounting. Maybe when I get 3 posts you can PM me as well?

Thanks
Old Dec 17th 2007, 2:38 am

Welcome to BE Babbsy. Loads of Canucks there too. And I will.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 3:04 am
Just Joined

Babbsy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been looking with a family member to purchase a shared vacation home in Panama, Mexico, Cayman Islands (St. Lucia), and Grand Bahama. We recently added Panama to the list but are still in the research stage.

I'd like to pick a place where I can get by as English speaking only and get a decent job as an Expat in the finance/accounting field since I am a CMA from Canada. Enjoy the place for a year or two and gain some international experience.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 3:13 am

Sent you a pm. Top right hand corner
Old Dec 17th 2007, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Panama Lady is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Thanks All
Lainey
Hi Lainey,

I am from Panama and have lived in UK for some years now with my husband who is from here and one daughter.
Panama is a lovely place to live and recently has become very popular due to packages offered to people wanting to establish in Panama.
The weather is lovely, the people are friendly, there are many possibilities of obtaining a job there as English is the second language and is an asset when searching job opportunities, private schools have very high standards and the fees are not very high and in general terms the cost of living there, in comparison to Britain, is very low.
There are a lot of things to do, places to visit and restaurants to enjoy and the country is politically stable.
The city centre is fantastic, very modern and with beautiful buildings. The countryside is also wonderful. Beaches are as near as 25 minutes away from the city and the mountains are 45 minutes away.

If you are interested, reply to this and I will give you more info.

Cheers,
Old Dec 18th 2007, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Cherr1980 is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Panama

Hey I am from Panama too! hoohoo but I live in the US.
A site that you may want to visit is:

(Removed - mod)

There are several international schools with high standars and full English since there are many people who starting to move due to business, etc.

The "official currency name" is the Balboa (for Vasco Nunez de Balboa) and is equal to the US dollar but the US dollars is the currency that is used since 1903 (Independece from Colombia). The only difference are in the coins, you can use US coins as there are the Panamanian coins that are mint in the US. They are same size, weight and value the only difference is the art on them.

Most people within the city (that it's very modern, pretty much like Miami except for the roads and the public transportation) speak English. Outside the city is limited but depend in which part outside the city you go, since there are more and more retirees and many Europeans moving to that part of the country.

Public transportation is not good, so I would suggest to hired a specialized taxi until you are able to move by yourself and know where you going so then you can drive. But if you and your family are adventurous go your first round in public transportation with a person from there, there are no names or signs on many stops.

Directions are not like "I need to get to the house 213 Oxford Drive". You go by "...when you see the Texaco, turn right then go straight the second house at your left" or you need at least a point of reference so you know where you are going. Everything goes by "how long will take" to get some place. E.g. 10,25 min...not about "I am 2km away".

Even distances are very short in comparison with other countries, to go from point A to point B for about 8km sometimes can take more than 20 minutes due to traffic in peak hours. Peak hours are 7-9am and 5-7pm. There are 4 major arteries in the country that runs (West-East)...N-Atlantic Ocean and S-Pacific Ocean because Panama has a "flat S" shape : Ave. Balboa (bayfront-residential-club-shopping), Calle 50 "50th Street" (comercial-bank area), Via Espana (comercial-stores-shopping) Transismica or Transismic Highway (main artery that connects the capital with Colon-Atlantic side) and Ave. Tumba Muerto (Dead Tumb) or Ricardo J. Alfaro (same street with 2 names). Sometimes you will find that one street has several names.

Distances are in km, but weight is in pounds, believe me the only kg I know is when I took Chemistry in college. I heard that is going to change sometime sooner or later and everything will be under metric...I wish them luck...poor butchers in "Casa de la Carne" (The Meat House).

Major holidays are:
Carnival, won't be as famous as the Brazilians but in Panama you ARE part of the carnival and drink and jump and dance. Best ones are in the interior of the country.
Almost ALL NOV is patriotic festivities, Panama has TWO independence days to celebrate (from Spain and from Colombia). plus other events the same month due to that.
Dec 8th is Mother's Day, big time...everybody move earth and sun to be with their mother...inclusive if you need to go to the cementery.
Dec 24th to the 25th. Panama celebrates Christmas from 24th night to the beginning of the 25th. Normally you visit family and friends, eat and drink, go to church, dinner and open gifts and celebrate at midnight. The 25th you continue visiting family and friends. But you celebrate the 24th to the 25th.
Dec 31th New Years, most people get tickets for different events in hotels, clubs and private parties or you go to the beach.

Cherr

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Dec 19th 2007 at 1:29 pm. Reason: unsolicited commercial site url - sorry, not allowed under site rules
Old Dec 19th 2007, 7:54 am
Just Joined

belbest is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cherr1980
Hey I am from Panama too! hoohoo but I live in the US.
A site that you may want to visit is:

(Removed - mod)

There are several international schools with high standars and full English since there are many people who starting to move due to business, etc.

The "official currency name" is the Balboa (for Vasco Nunez de Balboa) and is equal to the US dollar but the US dollars is the currency that is used since 1903 (Independece from Colombia). The only difference are in the coins, you can use US coins as there are the Panamanian coins that are mint in the US. They are same size, weight and value the only difference is the art on them.

Most people within the city (that it's very modern, pretty much like Miami except for the roads and the public transportation) speak English. Outside the city is limited but depend in which part outside the city you go, since there are more and more retirees and many Europeans moving to that part of the country.

Public transportation is not good, so I would suggest to hired a specialized taxi until you are able to move by yourself and know where you going so then you can drive. But if you and your family are adventurous go your first round in public transportation with a person from there, there are no names or signs on many stops.

Directions are not like "I need to get to the house 213 Oxford Drive". You go by "...when you see the Texaco, turn right then go straight the second house at your left" or you need at least a point of reference so you know where you are going. Everything goes by "how long will take" to get some place. E.g. 10,25 min...not about "I am 2km away".

Even distances are very short in comparison with other countries, to go from point A to point B for about 8km sometimes can take more than 20 minutes due to traffic in peak hours. Peak hours are 7-9am and 5-7pm. There are 4 major arteries in the country that runs (West-East)...N-Atlantic Ocean and S-Pacific Ocean because Panama has a "flat S" shape : Ave. Balboa (bayfront-residential-club-shopping), Calle 50 "50th Street" (comercial-bank area), Via Espana (comercial-stores-shopping) Transismica or Transismic Highway (main artery that connects the capital with Colon-Atlantic side) and Ave. Tumba Muerto (Dead Tumb) or Ricardo J. Alfaro (same street with 2 names). Sometimes you will find that one street has several names.

Distances are in km, but weight is in pounds, believe me the only kg I know is when I took Chemistry in college. I heard that is going to change sometime sooner or later and everything will be under metric...I wish them luck...poor butchers in "Casa de la Carne" (The Meat House).

Major holidays are:
Carnival, won't be as famous as the Brazilians but in Panama you ARE part of the carnival and drink and jump and dance. Best ones are in the interior of the country.
Almost ALL NOV is patriotic festivities, Panama has TWO independence days to celebrate (from Spain and from Colombia). plus other events the same month due to that.
Dec 8th is Mother's Day, big time...everybody move earth and sun to be with their mother...inclusive if you need to go to the cementery.
Dec 24th to the 25th. Panama celebrates Christmas from 24th night to the beginning of the 25th. Normally you visit family and friends, eat and drink, go to church, dinner and open gifts and celebrate at midnight. The 25th you continue visiting family and friends. But you celebrate the 24th to the 25th.
Dec 31th New Years, most people get tickets for different events in hotels, clubs and private parties or you go to the beach.

Cherr
Hi Cherr. What a fantastic review on Panama. I will be going out there around March and intend to explore the area. I can't wait. I have read a lot on Panama including the site you mention. Can you give me some info on the area of Sanfrancisco in Panama city as I will be there around March.
thanks
Lynn

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Dec 19th 2007 at 4:36 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Cherr1980 is on a distinguished road

Hey hi...San Francisco is in the city...is far from the airport and not that close to downtown but you don't want to be either place to be anyway, and is a nice area. Lately from a single house family style now is converting in high rise condos. In this area there is one of the few city parks "Parque Omar" or "Parque Padre Hector Gallegos" (do not google Hector Gallegos because will come out a totally different person in a California state prison or so)...talking about the "two names", told you so...hehe. Calle 50 (50th Street) runs through that area is almost the last 1/4 of the 50th street. Plus that area is near to one of the new malls Multi Plaza Mall in Punta Pacifica.

Don't know what other specific information are you looking for...more about Panama (I see that the moderator took out the link that I sent...upps! sorry I guess I did not know I can't post links here should read the policies I guess), you can google Panama Information...and like the link that comes out with panama+info that's the one.

What else? March is almost the end of dry season...Panama has two season commonly know as winter and summer, but really is dry and rainy. March is still dry season. But I would recommend (even most people don't do in Panama even during winter) to always carry a small umbrella that you can put inside your bag or purse. When it rains, RAINS for several hours...so don't get fool on it.

Even is between Costa Rica and Colombia the weather does not get cool even during at night. Panama is mostly humid (practically 90%) but year round 27-30C...I think, everytime I go is hotter than here so. There is a nice breeze but does not get any cold. Panama is seat practically at ocean level. Even geographically is characterized as a "Central American" country, most Panamanians won't consider themselves as so (including myself), we are just "Panamanians", that's it, not from the centro nor the south, just "the middle". We really are more Caribbean than other thing. Our food is most fond to the Caribbean islands than the rest of our neighbors.

Dress code, so the weather is like being in the Bahamas and you think you should go around with flip flops...eh not necessarily plus is not as practical as you may think. If it's raining you do not want to get your feet submitted to whatever "yeaky" stuff in the street and streets get flooded so a nice splash by a car driving through is not funny and is totally legal. People dress well, actually to get to goverment buildings you cannot enter in shorts and flip flops. People mostly use jeans, cargos, or bermudas (knee level) sneakers, closed shoes unless is summer so then you used mostly sandals or flip flops Reef@ type that you can hold front and back. But if you have a nice skirt you go girl! At night people dress well, comfortable, but well. Of course mostly people who are not from there is easy "recognizable" so you anyway will get treat pretty good haha.

Cherr

Last edited by Cherr1980; Dec 20th 2007 at 1:32 am.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 7:43 am
Just Joined

belbest is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Panama

Hi cherr:
Thanks for all that info on San francisco.My building is West Tower 7400 and it's between Calle 74 Este. I have been offered a furniture package of $20,000would this be about right? The 3 bed/2 bath apt is 1647 sqft or 153 sq m. Is the furniture mainly imported? and can you recommend some furniture stores?
thanks
belbest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.