Moving to Mexico City

Old Feb 23rd 2013, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

hockers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Mexico City

Hi,

I'm moving to Mexico City in August, still some way off yet but just wondered if anyone else was heading that way at a similar time or have recently moved and got any good tips for a pending move?!

Thanks
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Mexico City

Originally Posted by hockers
Hi,

I'm moving to Mexico City in August, still some way off yet but just wondered if anyone else was heading that way at a similar time or have recently moved and got any good tips for a pending move?!

Thanks
Umm, good luck and be really careful for a start?

You don't say why you're moving there but it has a reputation as being a very corrupt and dangerous city.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 3:19 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Umm, good luck and be really careful for a start?

You don't say why you're moving there but it has a reputation as being a very corrupt and dangerous city.
Government institutions are corrupt all over Mexico (they are here too of course, but in a very different kind of way), but as to danger, I have lived for up to four months at a time in Mexico City, and have friends there too, and I can assure you that with a few very basic precautions there is no need to run into any particular kind of trouble. I certainly never have. Never even had my pocket picked. It is a fascinating, vibrant city, with a vast amount of history and cultural activities of all kinds.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Government institutions are corrupt all over Mexico (they are here too of course, but in a very different kind of way), but as to danger, I have lived for up to four months at a time in Mexico City, and have friends there too, and I can assure you that with a few very basic precautions there is no need to run into any particular kind of trouble. I certainly never have. Never even had my pocket picked. It is a fascinating, vibrant city, with a vast amount of history and cultural activities of all kinds.
It it an amazingly, interesting city for sure. But it would be naive to suggest that it's a fairly safe place. Hopefully people that visit there are very clues in to the potential for possible dangers and so avoid scary situations.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:46 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

It it an amazingly, interesting city for sure. But it would be naive to suggest that it's a fairly safe place. Hopefully people that visit there are very clues in to the potential for possible dangers and so avoid scary situations.
When were you there? You appear to have had a different experience than I and my Mexican friends have had.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
When were you there? You appear to have had a different experience than I and my Mexican friends have had.
I was never there but have been interested enough in the place to read up on it and research it. You cannot deny that there are many, many warnings about the place.

I'm glad you had a safe enjoyable experience but people should be very cautious when visiting correct?
Old Feb 24th 2013, 2:15 pm

I was never there but have been interested enough in the place to read up on it and research it. You cannot deny that there are many, many warnings about the place.

I'm glad you had a safe enjoyable experience but people should be very cautious when visiting correct?

Certainly "warnings" have been issued - some are sensationalist, some are not. As with most things, it is a matter of understanding them in context and using common sense. As with most cities, for example, there are places it is best not to go after dark as an unaccompanied woman, and the same as any other city those are the very poor parts o f the city. On the other hand, there are plenty of areas that are just fine day and night, and like any major European or U.S. city centre that you might have been in. It is a huge, cosmopolitan city, both ancient and modern, and you don't have to be "very cautious" as you walk around or join people as they go to work, go shopping, go to the movies or concerts or the opera. If feels like a perfectly normal city - which for the most part, it is. You might as well say "be very cautious" in Chicago, without distinguishing between being among the gangs of the poverty stricken west side ghetto and in the Loop or Lincoln Park or Old Town.

I used to drive all over Mexico, several times a year. The horrible killing that has beset Mexico is among the drug cartels, not ordinary citizens, but the toll it has taken is appalling. I was talking about this only a few weeks ago when one of my Mexican friends visited me here, and he agreed that those outside the business aren't affected, except for the bereaved of the gangsters. I wouldn't go to Ciudad Juarez, or remote parts of the state of Michoacan if you paid me at the moment, but that is a special case. Other than that I would go in a flash.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Feb 24th 2013 at 2:18 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Like any other type of advice, there needs to be a sense of balance, not, it's all 'wine and roses' or 'don't go it's an evil hell hole'.

Every city has it's complexities and I don't for one second doubt that's MC is a fascinating, beautiful place to visit with friendly locals.

I'm sure the op will do some research and figure out areas to avoid and other common sense stuff like attire, not flashing money about, looking like a gormless tourist etc. I think whenever you're on vacation in a different country, it's easy to get swept up in the atmosphere and let your guard down. That's when you become vulnerable to crime. Then you add in the factor of abductions, corrupt officials and police force and such then it all becomes a bot daunting.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful to only utilize the regulated taxis.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...ntal.Cars.html