Moving to Mexico .

Old Nov 9th 2003, 6:13 pm
Keelie

Default Moving to Mexico .

Any expats out there who have moved to Mexico permanently?

We're thinking of doing the big shift right out of Canada, and buying property in the Baja California side of Mexico for retirement.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has made a similar move, or just your thoughts on living in Mexico full-time.

I've not been able to find anything pertaining to Mexico on this particular site.
Thanks. Keelie.

Old Dec 2nd 2003, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

wibble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mexico City

Hi Keeley

I'm in the same boat but we are thinking of moving to Mexico City with work. We have 3 small children and are very worried about Pollution and Security. If you get any information that might help us we would be glad to hear from you. I will let you know if any of my sources know anything about Baja California.

Speak soon

Wibble
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 7:52 pm
Keelie

Default Re: Mexico City

Hi Wibble...Mexico City, no kidding...are you sure...wife and three kids, I dunno.

Unless of course you have a very high-powered executive position..one that comes with all the bells and whistles ?
Have you ever actually been to Mexico City?
If not, have you thought of going out there to see if it's going to be a good fit for your family?
Mexicans are really lovely people...we love the country, have spent a lot of time there over the years...with the exception of Baja...however Mexico City is another story...not trying to put you off. really!
If you're an American then you're probably more prepared for such a change than say someone from the U.K. or Europe.

The pollution thing is a worry..particularly with small children... if your kids are sturdy and not prone to allergies they should be alright... hey, I survived a childhood in one of Britains more polluted cities and I'm healthy as a horse.
In any case Mexico will be a very exciting change..even if for a short time... try to visit first.

Originally posted by wibble
Hi Keeley

I'm in the same boat but we are thinking of moving to Mexico City with work. We have 3 small children and are very worried about Pollution and Security. If you get any information that might help us we would be glad to hear from you. I will let you know if any of my sources know anything about Baja California.

Speak soon

Wibble

Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving to Mexico .

Originally posted by Keelie

We're thinking of doing the big shift right out of Canada, and buying property in the Baja California side of Mexico for retirement.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has made a similar move, or just your thoughts on living in Mexico full-time.

I've not been able to find anything pertaining to Mexico on this particular site.
Thanks. Keelie.

Dont quote me but....... I did'nt think you can buy property in Mexico thats why people time share ???????.....
Old Jan 7th 2004, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. Keelie.

Go to Canada instead of Mexico. Seems a lot of British expats live in British Columbia.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Thanks. Keelie.

What did you decide
Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:11 pm
Keelie

Going down next week to look at a Canadian development in the Baja....sounds
like paradise... we all know about 'Paradise'

Maybe, maybe not...as my Mum used to say, "We'll see"

Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Going down next week to look at a Canadian development in the Baja....sounds
like paradise... we all know about 'Paradise'

Maybe, maybe not...as my Mum used to say, "We'll see"

Good luck......mine to with that look.....rolleyes:
Old Feb 8th 2004, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

iomexico is an unknown quantity at this point

Wibble

My daughter lives with her Mexican husband in Mexico City and is very happy, but they live in a very good area.

She says you have to be careful like any other city, but I'm more wary there than I am in other cities.

She does not use public transport now and she is very protective of her blonde 2 year old son and does not like going to the park on her own during the week.

You have to remember there is a big gap there bet rich and poor as there is no social security.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Zoella is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a 19 yr old student living in London. I have just got back from a month living in mexico city and i am addicted. As a Eurpoean i did find it very different, but in a good way. I was living with my mexican boyfriend and his family and although they lived in a very nice area we did travel to the less desirable parts of the city. I was not allowed to use public transport or walk anywhere on my own but did not find this to be that restricting. The friendliness of the people was overwhelming, hardly anyone seemed to be miserable, even the people who made a living selling a few packs of cigarettes and sweets at traffic lights each day. It made a difference to experience people who just got on with life, not like some British people who sit on their bottoms all day expecting a living.

The city although in part old, derelict and chaotic posseses some beautiful parts with stunning houses, chic bars and cafes and cool nightclubs. Having lived in Italy i found many similarities.

I am committed to study for the next four years or so but after i hope to make Mexico City a regular work posting or even a home.

Zoella.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 1:23 am
GO PUMAS!!

aussimex is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by iomexico
Wibble

She does not use public transport now and she is very protective of her blonde 2 year old son and does not like going to the park on her own during the week.

You have to remember there is a big gap there bet rich and poor as there is no social security.
Yup, parks suck in Mexico City, however I'm white, blue eyed (but older than two ;-))and when I go there every other year I use mainly public transport. As long as you don't wear jewellery and carry lots of money (as any sensible person in any big city would do) you'll be ok.
I'm jealous of anyone going to live in Mexico, so I read all your post with intrest.
Rgds.
Aussimex
Old Aug 29th 2004, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

sirlaughsalott has a brilliant futuresirlaughsalott has a brilliant futuresirlaughsalott has a brilliant futuresirlaughsalott has a brilliant futuresirlaughsalott has a brilliant futuresirlaughsalott has a brilliant futuresirlaughsalott has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Moving to Mexico .

I moved to Mexico from Canada. Very easy to get your FM3. Bring your car and house hold belongings after you get the FM3.

Never been to Baja but lived in Ajijic and now Cancun. Both have plus and minuses. Depends a lot on your age and what you want to do etc.

Mexicans are very accomodating and crime here is mainly petty theft type. I hear bad reviews about Mexico City - but who knows. Certainly Cancun is very safe and very clean - slightly superficial though too, but that's by design.

We have a Costco, Sams Club and two Walmarts. Three or four Mega Supermarkets. English is widley spoken in the Hotel Zone, not so much in Centro.

My advice. Come down for an extended vacation, rent a place for a month or three. See how you feel then and if it works for you ........ stay.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 12:51 am
Just Joined

vdanci is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to be careful, yes, but it's not as bad as they say once oyu get used to it. I am married to a Mexican and am expecting a baby here in Mexico City. First thing, there is no NHS or free healthcare and private is very expensive!
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:06 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Viva Mexico!

I have been there several times since I was 4 years old, due to family living there.

You have to be careful like any other city, I was informed by a friend there that the whole crime thing blew up 10 years ago or so, but things were definately improving now.

The only downside on my last trip was the bum touching (Mainly on trains), thought I was going mad at first, but this happens all the time apparently?!?!?

Definately worth a visit!