Moving to CHILE

Old Jun 5th 2007, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to CHILE

Originally Posted by monique
Thank you very much for all the information Dakota and Matt. Maybe we'll meet up in La Serena one day!.
You never know.

I would suggest a visit to Chile in your future. Go to La Serena. There are some nice tourist places across from the beach. Not expensive either. Also hit a few of the other places Matt recommended. There is nothing like experiencing an area before you make a decision.

Last edited by dakota44; Jun 5th 2007 at 12:48 am.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:44 am
Just Joined

goingabroad80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by puskas97
Hi, has/does anyone live in Chile and has any relocation tips?

I can't seem to find any threads relating to Chile and would love to read about peoples experiences and get advice as I will be moving there in January.

Chris
How was the move? I move to Chile in jan 08 and I cna't wait!!!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goingabroad80
How was the move? I move to Chile in jan 08 and I cna't wait!!!
Where in Chile are you moving to?
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dakota44
Where in Chile are you moving to?
Near to Valparaiso. I will be taking it easy for a while..and then start to look for jobs within my expertise. I am hoping it won't take too long.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Near to Valparaiso. I will be taking it easy for a while..and then start to look for jobs within my expertise. I am hoping it won't take too long.
Nice area apparently. I'm more familiar with Santiago and La Serena.

Chile is wonderful and I am sure you will love it.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Nice area apparently. I'm more familiar with Santiago and La Serena.

Chile is wonderful and I am sure you will love it.
Thank you! My fiancee is Chilean...
I have just been reading all the posts...and I have goosebumps...it seems a world away from my life here in Oxford, UK. I really can't wait to go...

Un abrazo a todos..Tamsin x
Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

matttheboy is an unknown quantity at this point

If you click on my username and then click on my homepage you'll find my blog which has loads of info, photos, things to do, see and eat in Valparaiso and around. Good luck with all the preparations for your move!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by matttheboy
If you click on my username and then click on my homepage you'll find my blog which has loads of info, photos, things to do, see and eat in Valparaiso and around. Good luck with all the preparations for your move!

Thank you...I will definitely take a look!!
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Sasha Wilson is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you...I will definitely take a look!!
I am completely new to this forum and do not know (yet) how to start a new thread! So please be patient!

I am planning to visit Chile in October 2008 to do some family history research in Vina del Mar. All I know, so far, is that my British birth father was born there in 1901 and that my British birth grandmother was third generation to live there.

Would anyone be able to suggest how I start investigating so that by the time I get to Chile I shall not be wasting precious time?

I shall look forward to hearing from you.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

what are the family names? if your family was involved in business here then i might know where to look but it depends on the surname. there's not actually all that much historical data here in valparaiso and vina del mar, it takes a lot of digging. i live in valpo and enjoy investigating the history of the city for my blog and i know it's not easy finding info.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Matttheboy

Many thanks for your reply. My father was Michael HENSTOCK and his mother before marriage was Margaret Harriet LYON. Does this help at all?

Sasha
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:00 am
Just Joined

if you go to this link (admin, please don't cut it out or if you have to, please leave the link without the www.!)

www.tpino.netfirms.com/lyon.htm

it'll take you to a page (in spanish) that goes through the history or the lyon family up to the 2nd generation in Chile-can't find much on the henstock-lyons but as there were 11 children in the second generation it'll be difficult to sort them all out..!

this link may help if you contact the person in charge of the website.

www.bisa.btinternet.co.uk/kl.htm it shows quite a few Henstock-Lyons born in Valparaiso in the late 1800s but none in the 1900s

my lawyer's a member of the Lyon family so next time i speak to him i'll ask if he knows anything about the Henstock lineage. The Lyon surname is quite an important one here in Chile so there must be info out there somewhere...

Last edited by matttheboy; Nov 1st 2007 at 12:07 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 3:50 am
Just Joined

Again, many thanks for the latest information. I did, in fact, already know about those webpages but shall look forward to hearing what your lawyer says when convenient.

Sasha
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

sburton is an unknown quantity at this point

Chile is wonderful. If you like the city life, Santiago is great. If you prefer smaller cities, choose from the various climates. Souther Chile can become very wet and cold. Northern Chile can provide a semi- desert climate. There is a city North of Santiago called..La Serena. It vertually never really rains there, but rather develops the occasional heavy dew that mists the air. I like it there very much, and have visited there 3 times. It has miles of beach, most any of the amenities you can need, a very nice shopping mall and excellent hospital. You can fly to Santiago from there for a very reasonable fair, or you can take the bus (big, comfortable Mercedes with attendent, snacks and a movie) costing (my last trip) about $10 each way. Long ride, but the scenery is nice.
Get accustomed to occasional earthquakes or tremors, as they are very common.

http://www.ingservtur.cl/cityoflaserena.html

http://www.turismochile.com/guide/la_serena/

http://www.firstpremium.cl/north/serena_intro.php3

The seafood is great...all the food is great. The cost of living is very reasonable, the politics very stable, the economy probably the best in South America, the police (Carabineros de Chile) are polite and honest. And the people are, quite frankly, great.
Hi there I am new to the forum and am trying to get an idea of life in Antofagasta......I could have an employment opportunity there
Old Nov 17th 2007, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sburton
Hi there I am new to the forum and am trying to get an idea of life in Antofagasta......I could have an employment opportunity there
They had a major earthquake in that area a few days ago. You might want to look into that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.