Default Re: Moving to Argentina

Thanks very much!

Twig
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

MichelleAlison is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Moving to Argentina

Hi Twig,

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like. Before we left London, I didn't know about these forums. But now that I have found them, I am happy to help others following in our footsteps!

Regards
Michelle
Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

walkingtwig is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much michelle!! Hopefully will be moving late next year, thankfully we don't have a deadline so im quite happy to take things slowly and make sure they are done properly! What did you find were the main issues with your move? is there anything i should look out for?

Thanks again, Twig
Old Sep 16th 2007, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

As we decided to move earlier than we planned, there weren't any issues. We did all our paperwork here and as we live in Mar del Plata, there weren't any queues and it was fairly straightforward.

Things that you should bring with:

Legalised (apostile) wedding certificate and translation
Legalised (apostile) British birth certificates and translations
Documents showing where any funds come from i.e. sale of property, savings, insurance, redundancy etc.
School letters legalised (apostile) stating that your child completed successfully their last year - stating year and signed by head and to include all subject results.....
Police checks legalised (apostile) and translated
Divorce or change of name documents legalised (apostile)

All documents can be sent to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London - they charge £24 per document (was £19 last year). Just go to their website. You can also attend in person and it takes a couple of hours, depending on queues.

We had to arrange a lot of the above from this end. Fortunately my sister was great and I sent her everything and she forwarded all the documents on for me.

I would make sure that you have plenty of extra photocopies of everything, especially an extra copy or two or your complete passport, including blank pages.

Hope this help

Last edited by MichelleAlison; Sep 16th 2007 at 6:29 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Oct 15th 2007, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

samuelg is an unknown quantity at this point

somewhat off topic i'm afraid, but i've just arrived in BA for two months, and i was wondering if anyone could suggest a good place to watch the england-russia game on wednesday, or the england-south africa game on saturday. i'd very much appreciate any ideas!

cheers
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

HereInArgentina is an unknown quantity at this point

Back to the original question:
Originally Posted by MILNGAVIE
...take our television with us - will it or won't it work.?...
For tellies from Britain, voltage wont be a problem but the signal could be. Argentina use "PAL-N" which isn't used in Europe. Some newer TVs will support PAL-N but older or cheaper ones one. I brought my (4 year old ) TV here and it only shows up in black and white without any sound...
Old Jan 19th 2008, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

schlottp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Michelle

I am an Argentinian living in London and planning to go back home soon. Love London but miss the sun too much.

I would like to ask how much was the price for the 20 feet container door to door and if you could recommend any company.

Many thanks in advance. I hope you are enjoying Argentina.

Patricio

Originally Posted by MichelleAlison
Hi, it sounds like you were lucky when you went to the consulate in London. We visited on a few occasions, but without success. Each time they gave us different information. My husband wanted to renew his Argentine passport and when he told them he didn't have his DNI as it was lost, they told him it would take 8 months to get a new DNI in London! This was when we decided to give up. On his arrival in BA, he got a new DNI within days and was then able to get a new passport.

Please let us know how your move goes and hopefully your shipping will be ok.

Look forward to the coffee in BA (just about running out of Engish tea bags "help").

Chau

Michelle

Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

ScottishRose1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hola!

I am spending a month in BA and arrive in a few days time.

I am thinking of renting an apartment for a month - any advice?

Cheers.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by schlottp
Hi Michelle

I am an Argentinian living in London and planning to go back home soon. Love London but miss the sun too much.

I would like to ask how much was the price for the 20 feet container door to door and if you could recommend any company.

Many thanks in advance. I hope you are enjoying Argentina.

Patricio
Hola Patricio,

We never met many Argentines in London - what part are you in?

We never sent a container but used a company called "Sevenseas" www.sevenseasworldwide.com who deal with excess baggage. We decided not to send any furniture and electrical goods, but we did send 40 large boxes full of personal goods. Although the service was excellent, we weren't given the correct advice about the customs in BA.

If you want any further help or advice, please let me know.

What part of Argentina are you coming to? We live in Mar del Plata and love it here.

Saludos

Michelle
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

ArgentinaPost is an unknown quantity at this point

I shipped my stuff from the UK to Argentina with SevenSeas as well. The luggage arrived safely (about 2 months door to port), but it's worth noting that once you arrive here there are fees at both the receiving shipping company and at the customs warehouse where you have to go to pick up the luggage (in addition to any customs charges).
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

It's nice to see that there are other Anglo/Argentine families swapping London for Argentina. The Argentines in Mar del Plata think we were crazy to do this, but we love it here.

Saludos

Michelle
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:36 am
Just Joined

LuciaDennis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Michelle,

Im from Colombia and my husband is from UK. We r moving to Mardel next month and as i far as i understand u have been living there since last year.
I ve lived in Argentina before but is gonna be my husbands first time in south america. It would be really nice if we can contact you as we soon as we arrive.

Regards´

Lucia and Andrew
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LuciaDennis
Hi Michelle,

Im from Colombia and my husband is from UK. We r moving to Mardel next month and as i far as i understand u have been living there since last year.
I ve lived in Argentina before but is gonna be my husbands first time in south america. It would be really nice if we can contact you as we soon as we arrive.

Regards´

Lucia and Andrew
Hola Lucia and Andrew,

What made you choose Mar del Plata? Have you arranged somewhere to live when you arrive, or do you need any help. Why did you choose Argentina, and especially Mardel?

Please contact me through this forum if you need any help before you arrive and once you get here.

Although it is meant to be autumn here, it is more like summer - blues skies, sunshine and very warm

Saludos

Michelle
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

LuciaDennis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hola Michelle,

Sounds like weather is great. I think Mardel is a really good option for families. Ive been there many times and I always enjoyed my stay. Food is great, people r friendly and during summer time is one of the most popular destinations. I lived in Bs As for almost 4 years and I think is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Its like european and south american cultures together in one place. But we had enough of big cities and we wanna move to the sea side...specially cuz we gotta a baby boy and think its a great place for kids.

We ve sent u a pvt message with a few a questions and our contact details. Andrew is from Manchester and is gonna be the first time he ll be living in Argentina and we think it wud be quite useful to keep in touch

Un abrazo

Lucia
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

MILNGAVIE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MILNGAVIE
My wife and I are moving to Argentina and I would appreciate help from any expats as to whether we should take our television with us - will it or won't it work.?

Any other tips you could offer would also be appreciated as we have a door to door service quote from the removal company - any pitfalls to watch out for?
Well after six months I have finally got round to put this thread up to date.

Our goods were packed and containerised in October the 2nd and 3rd, great job by Gerrards.
We moved down to Southport and stayed at my late mothers flat till we were supposed to fly out on November the 7th. However we got word from Gerards that the container was going to arrive in BA earlier than expected and if we weren't there to take delivery extra charges would be accrued.
So that sprung me into action and I managed to get a couple of first class tickets with British Airways using miles redemption for October the 29th,which meant we would arrive in BA only a couple of days after the container.I didn't want to travel in first class but had no option.
Anyway after a super journey over we arrived and got in touch with Argenmove the company who Gerards had arranged to be in charge of our shipment from getting it to the port to our house 100 miles away. They said we could go to the port on the Thursday and oversee the customs clearance with the agent. This we did, after a bit of hanging around the container terminal all they did after breaking the seal was to open a couple of boxes inspect them and that was it, we signed a couple of forms and the truck with the container was ready to leave the port. No money was asked for by customs or the agent.
We were told that the truck would spend the night at the company depot in BA and would arrive at our front door the next morning at 9AM. Next morning bang on 9am the truck pulled into our street and three chaps did a great job in emptying the container and bringing our stuff into the house.
All in all a fantastic move and totally hassle free,no delays,no breakages and no extra charges on top of what we paid Gerards.
I can report that the TV didn't work but I believe you can buy an adaptor that makes it work over here. I am enjoying life although the weather in Jan and Feb was hot, hot, hot and took me a bit of getting used to. Much cooler now which is more to my liking.
My wife is glad to be back amongst her friends and is currently working back at her old job as a head teacher as well as doing some work for the Spanish Consul in our town.
Although I had spent a lot of time over here before on an annual basis during holidays and so I was used to the way of life here, I have had no regrets about leaving the UK, have not even thought about it much to be honest, as I am too busy getting the house and garden back into shape after so many years of neglecting it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.