Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Central, South America & Mexico
Reload this Page >

Mexico vs UK - wanting to marry and live together

Mexico vs UK - wanting to marry and live together

Old Mar 22nd 2015, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Grimborocks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mexico vs UK - wanting to marry and live together

Hey all.
Newbie here.

Can't seem to find answers in other forums so thought I'd start a new thread. Here is my situation...

I live in Scotland UK and my partner lives in Mexico. Tourist visas are great as they are valid for 6 months in both countries. But the travel expenses are proving to be too much and it hurts every time we say goodbye.
So the plan is to get married so we can live together in either country (we wish to make Mexico our permanent residence).

My question is this, what would be required for us to marry in Mexico and for me to live there, or would it be better for us to marry in the UK and then live in Mexico? I can't get the right information from either of the embassies...

All that matters is that we want to be together. I left my job to be with her and I fear this may affect any applications we make.

Not sure if this is enough information to get the answers I need but any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mexico vs UK - wanting to marry and live together

In either country there are legal requirements for getting married:

Here is a link to some info for Mexico:

Mexico's weddings most important legal requirements | VisitMexico

Here is the link for getting married as a visitor (presume you will be moving to Mexico after the wedding) for the UK

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa/overview

You not having a job will not affect the "getting married" part but, would certainly affect any application for your, then wife, to move to the UK.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Im planning on marrying my mexican gf,we have lived together for 3yrs as its alot easier than a common law visa! You need to get your UK birth cert. legalized or as the mexicans call it apostilla .You send it Gov.UK office in Milton Keynes and you need it translated into spanish,here is the link.
www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised
Then in Mexico you get blood tests and I think a medical not 100% sure on that.You can get married on a tourist visa no problem.
Im from Scotland too,where in Mexico are you living,im in Merida
Old Aug 17th 2015, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

OK - I don't think it's changed much since I did it - you're Brit & she's Mexi.

Get married in Mexico - you don't say which state (they have different requirements) and this could be important. Some will let you marry with just a blood test (like Tamaulipas) yet others needs AIDS & Hepatitis tests (such as Coahuila). You can marry on a tourist visa but you will need permission from the local INM delegate, be issued an amparo for this and have the number shown on your marriage certificate - her local Registro Civil can advise. It will also help for you to have a 'Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage Pursuant to The Marriage With Foreigners Act 1906' from your local registry office - this will smooth the way in having your marriage recognized by the British Embassy in DF when you apply for a Spousal Entry Permit for her.