Mexico City

Old Jun 7th 2007, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Madmex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mexico City

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Is there an English language paper or magazine based in Mesico City? Daily, weekly or monthly? My background is in newspapers so that would be nice to do there.
Sorry I do not know that as I am from the North. Try one of the search engines. I will ask one of the family when they get home as they spend a lot of time there
Old Jun 8th 2007, 12:01 am
Just Joined

ILoveMexico is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there an English language paper or magazine based in Mesico City? Daily, weekly or monthly? My background is in newspapers so that would be nice to do there.
Hi,

I live in the City, I am sorry but I have not seen one or heard of one, thanks
Old Jun 10th 2007, 8:33 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ILoveMexico
Hi,

I live in the City, I am sorry but I have not seen one or heard of one, thanks

So there could be a gap in the market?????
Old Jun 11th 2007, 10:45 am
Just Joined

purephil is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all. I'm over here on an excursion from the Spain board, so please be gentle!!

I've read through this thread and sent one or two of you emails with the following points.

Live in Spain at the moment with Spanish missus and she's mulling over taking up a job in Mexico City working as a co-ordinator in the Private School sector. We've been told that the schools and where they will house us is in the suburbs. Is this suburbs like leafy Surrey or suburbs like the dodgier areas of Madrid?
Hola Fortaleza! there are many many zones in Mexico City which span a far wider economic spectrum than does Madrid: The richest neibourhoods are, IMO far nicer and more floral etc than those of Madrid whereas there are other zones which you would be ill-advised to enter, day or night as a foreigner.

I can recommend: Lomas (several zones beginning 'Lomas'.., all good), Polanco, Jardines de Pedegral y Boscos. The areas to avoid are Buenas Aires, Doctores and most places near the airport, but to be honest - this will be clear as these areas would not generally cater for an Expat. It will often be clear from the rental price.

We - and particulary I - have grave doubts about the move. For example, I've heard that it is quite dangerous, especially for foreigners. Looking through the comments here, the party line is "it's like any other big city". Would like a bit more detail than that if anyone can oblige.
Mexico city in generally safe. I really do means this Fortaleza. You get to know the zones which are good and the ones less so, which is just like other cities - especially London. However, you must remember that this is technically a third world country, and so the poorest/most dangerous zones will be far more-so than London for example...

We are in our mid-30's and maybe don't have the same requirements to live as the more adventurous post-grads in early 20's ie we prefer the quiet life - a decent local bar and some semi-decent restaurants.

Is 4000 dollars a month before tax a decent wage? Is tax high? Accommodation is provided but if we're not happy, what's the average rent for a decent place in a safe neighbourhood?
$4000 a per month per person is a good wage in Mexico, statisically very good. A decent apartment in Polanco for example would run to around $1000 - $1200 for a one-bed but depending on your requirements you can find better Penthouse type places for $4000+ US a month. there are many excellent restaurant zones which are very cheap compared to europe - your money will go a lot further and Mexico caters very well in this respect. the food is simply terrific!

Is it safe for her on her own? (I would need a hell of a lot of convincing for that one!!)
Yes it might be 'safe' in certain areas/zonas but I would not recommend this. Just my honest feeling

Also, how reliable is internet in Mexico? Is the local telecom provider expensive? This is essential for me to monitor our business in Spain whilst in Mexico.
The internet is only as reliable as the device on which one uses it on: Power cuts are frequent (weekly) although only last an hour or so, so a good UPS system is a wise move if one conducts one's business from Mexico. The telecoms are a virtual Monopoly owner by the 2nd richest many in the world: Mobile costs are extortionate compared to the UK and Spain but the normal fixed line costs are tolarable.

I might need to do some work if I do join her there. I have very high level spoken Spanish although my written stuff needs to be checked as I have no sense of grammar whatsover!!! Is it easy enough for a Brit to get a job?

I'm sure I've got loads more questions but this will do for starters.
Good luck and if you have any more Q's - please ask. Phil
Old Jun 11th 2007, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by purephil
Hola Fortaleza! there are many many zones in Mexico City which span a far wider economic spectrum than does Madrid: The richest neibourhoods are, IMO far nicer and more floral etc than those of Madrid whereas there are other zones which you would be ill-advised to enter, day or night as a foreigner.

I can recommend: Lomas (several zones beginning 'Lomas'.., all good), Polanco, Jardines de Pedegral y Boscos. The areas to avoid are Buenas Aires, Doctores and most places near the airport, but to be honest - this will be clear as these areas would not generally cater for an Expat. It will often be clear from the rental price.

Mexico city in generally safe. I really do means this Fortaleza. You get to know the zones which are good and the ones less so, which is just like other cities - especially London. However, you must remember that this is technically a third world country, and so the poorest/most dangerous zones will be far more-so than London for example...

$4000 a per month per person is a good wage in Mexico, statisically very good. A decent apartment in Polanco for example would run to around $1000 - $1200 for a one-bed but depending on your requirements you can find better Penthouse type places for $4000+ US a month. there are many excellent restaurant zones which are very cheap compared to europe - your money will go a lot further and Mexico caters very well in this respect. the food is simply terrific!

Yes it might be 'safe' in certain areas/zonas but I would not recommend this. Just my honest feeling

The internet is only as reliable as the device on which one uses it on: Power cuts are frequent (weekly) although only last an hour or so, so a good UPS system is a wise move if one conducts one's business from Mexico. The telecoms are a virtual Monopoly owner by the 2nd richest many in the world: Mobile costs are extortionate compared to the UK and Spain but the normal fixed line costs are tolarable.

Good luck and if you have any more Q's - please ask. Phil
Hi,

The mobile costs on Telcel are outrageous, but I have a pay as you go on Telcel and a Nextel, pay 1,200 MXP roughly 60 quid a month for unlimited calls, to other Nextels and landlines and internet, and this is a blackberry, so it was free. Not too bad.

Thanks
Old Jun 14th 2007, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

LunayLuz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I just want a bit of advice about living in Cancun. I have lived in Mexico City, twice, absolutely loved it. Due to work commitments we only stayed for a year but we are now thinking of moving to Cancun. My husband is Mexican so immigration should be okay and both our girls have mexican passports and british passports.

I just wondered if anyone knows any schools in Cancun, we're looking for a bilingual school which would have preferably primary and secondary together. Any thoughts?

thanks
Old Jun 16th 2007, 7:14 am
Just Joined

anto is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone.
Just signed up since there seems to be some excellent advice being dished out. I'm moving to Mexico City on the 8th of August and I need your help. I am going to be working as a teacher in Tlalpan and my accommodation will be based there.
What are your views about the area? From I can gather it seems pretty safe with everything you need there.
I will be paid approx 16000 - 20000 pesos a month. My research shows the cost of living is much lower than the UK so there could be a small opportunity to put some money away. Does anyone have any recommendations about where to put this small amount of money?
Ive struggled to find information regarding tax. Can anyone advise?
On a lighter note - any recommendations for long weekends away - the world seems to be your oyster although depends on flight prices I guess.

Moving from Dubai so if anyone wants any info on the Middle East then give me a shout.

Cheers in advance

Anto
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:41 am
Just Joined

kellysgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anto
Hi everyone.
Just signed up since there seems to be some excellent advice being dished out. I'm moving to Mexico City on the 8th of August and I need your help. I am going to be working as a teacher in Tlalpan and my accommodation will be based there.
What are your views about the area? From I can gather it seems pretty safe with everything you need there.
I will be paid approx 16000 - 20000 pesos a month. My research shows the cost of living is much lower than the UK so there could be a small opportunity to put some money away. Does anyone have any recommendations about where to put this small amount of money?
Ive struggled to find information regarding tax. Can anyone advise?
On a lighter note - any recommendations for long weekends away - the world seems to be your oyster although depends on flight prices I guess.

Moving from Dubai so if anyone wants any info on the Middle East then give me a shout.

Cheers in advance

Anto
Dont know anything about Mexico City but there are a few here that seem to be able to help.
Weekends away. Definately get to Puerto Vallarta if you can. Fantastic, cant say enough about it. I am hoping to get out there soon.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

HeritageInternational is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent information -- anyone know anything about Cuernavaca which is outside of Mexico City -- it is called the city of eternal spring.

BTW, any advise on people traveling on tourist visas only -- I don't wish to get a traditional visa as I probably would not qualify. I had serious issues in Spain and ended up leaving after 5 months because of the Nazi-like police in Costa Del Sol and their attitude toward North American's without visas.

I am self-employed so I won't be looking for a job as long as I have Internet -- I even plan to exploit the Latin market for my business in Mexico and the US. I do speak basic Spanish.

Any advise would be helpful
Old Sep 7th 2007, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HeritageInternational
Excellent information -- anyone know anything about Cuernavaca which is outside of Mexico City -- it is called the city of eternal spring.

BTW, any advise on people traveling on tourist visas only -- I don't wish to get a traditional visa as I probably would not qualify. I had serious issues in Spain and ended up leaving after 5 months because of the Nazi-like police in Costa Del Sol and their attitude toward North American's without visas.

I am self-employed so I won't be looking for a job as long as I have Internet -- I even plan to exploit the Latin market for my business in Mexico and the US. I do speak basic Spanish.

Any advise would be helpful
Cuernavaca is a nice place, depends on what you want, its fourty minutes from Mexico City and on the way to Acapulco. The property is a lot cheaper than the Costa del Sol. You can buy for $200k or rent for $1,000 to $3,000 depending on what you want.

The visa you should get a six months tourist visa when you arrive no problem, just say you are visiting friends and Mexico, the problem lies when you leave Mexico, they charge you up to $1,000, which is not much fun at the airport, but getting a visa is no big deal.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

HeritageInternational is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the imput -- I assume you mean that if I stay long than the 6 months they'll charge me $1000.

I'll just leave for 3 days every 5.9 months?
Old Sep 27th 2007, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HeritageInternational
thanks for the imput -- I assume you mean that if I stay long than the 6 months they'll charge me $1000.

I'll just leave for 3 days every 5.9 months?
No problem with that, just when you come back in, just tell them its your first time, but the fine is $1,000 mxp, so a lot less than a flight, roughly 50 quid, so easier to get a visa, thanks
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Zenith is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, My name is Johnny Grinter. I lived in Mexico City for 7 months, and came back only 3 months ago to the UK.

I had absolutely no idea that this sort of community existed whatsoever. I'm not sure why but I really felt like I myself and my best friend were the only Brits in the whole of Mexico City.

Anyway I cannot believe I left Mexico now, and I deeply deeply miss it very very much. I left because I was scared about staying and getting stuck there. My visa would have been constantly renewed though as I have a friend in Immigration.

During my time there I worked seldomly as a private tutor, but mostly lived off my savings. This is unusually lazy for me, but there you go.

Anyway I made many amazing friends, and despite the many flaws I grew a passion for Mexican culture.

What I want to ask is:

Can anyone help me with advice about employment? I am not too keen on teaching, and would really return if I was offered a 'decent' wage for Mexico. I am 29 years old, enthusiastic, well spoken (which goes down well lol). I have experience in Television production and research (not much) and I am a photographer....amateur but well I sell my work. I also have some journalism experience. I have experience in retail, and I am a people person first and foremost.

I have a free room in a nice apartment in Mexico City, so that isn't a problem.

I miss you Mexico.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

If anyone would want to speak on msn one day that would be nice too. Thankyou everyone.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Please anyone?

Last edited by Zenith; Feb 22nd 2008 at 7:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.