Mexico City

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

ILoveMexico is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mexico City

Originally Posted by julianm
Hi Daniel,

I'd really like to hear more about your life in DF! I'm planning move to Jalsico this summer to start a small business (DF is a little too big for me to handle!) and maybe settle down long-term. Are you studying/working or just chilling there? And what kind of level of spanish do you think is required to get the most out of life there?

Saludos,
Julian
Hi Julian,

Sorry for the delay, I had not checked the site, since logging in, and have travelled a lot on business, what business are you starting, I take it in Guadalajara, I have been there, to be honest, I much prefer DF, but it depends on what you want.

Last edited by Sue; Jan 8th 2008 at 3:29 pm. Reason: email address removed for privacy
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Brian031168
Hi there

You are not alone in your opinion of México City, I have been living here for nearly 6 years now and can't imagine ever leaving.
To be honest I am not even sure why I love it here so much It has just felt like home since the first time I visited.

Feel free to contact me if you want to chat about your experiences.

Brian
Hi Brian,

Where are you living, and working. All of my European and British friends are the same, very strange, I am looking to buy a place in Interlomas, but live down in Ajusco at the moment.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I had not checked the site, since logging in, and have travelled a lot on business, thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Littletoe
Hiya,

I just left Mexico City. We're relocating now to New Zealand, but I wanted to look through the board and see if anyone lived in MC. I LOVED it there. No, it doesn't have a good write up, I was terrified when my husband suggested moving there for work AND I'm not a city girl at all. But it really did feel like home to me. My husband and I loved it very much. Its so got so much character and life. We lived in Polanco, and I had a lot of friends there. I used to walk my daughter to school everyday through the park and I enjoyed it so much, as did she. I'm glad that other people are loving it so much, it really is a vibrant place. Enjoy every second of it! If we could have stayed longer, we would have, but sadly it wasn't meant to be. Neither of us have ruled out the possibility of going back in the future though.

Hope it continues to work out for you!

Nikki x
HI Nikki,

Very nice message, New Zealand, I do fancy visiting there, so will look you up, when I arrive.

Yes I am amazed at the write up, I think the Americans do not want anybody to come here, but my friends when i speak to them, are like "You are still alive". Very funny.

I love Polanco, but for $250,000 USD you do not get that much for the money, its very expensive, so I am looking at Interlomas, the same prices, but 300 sq metre apartments, with pools, gym and the usual trimmings.

Best of luck in New Zealand, its meant to be lovely.

Thanks, and sorry for the delay, just logged into the site after receiving an email from Anna, I thought it was linked to my email, and I also been away a lot on business,
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sharon2007
We're looking at moving from Phoenix to Acapulco -it's refreshing and I am relieved to see that it's not all doom and gloom like most people make out!! We're here on an E2 and are tired of the uncertainty and are looking for a quality of life as well - if I don't I may well turn into an alchoholic or drop dead of a heart attack!! It has to be more than making money!!!!!!
Sharon2007
Hi Sharon,

I love Acapulco, but next time I go I am going to fly, the traffic is amazing, last time on the way back, it was eight hours in the car, not good.

Thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

ellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really nice

Originally Posted by kirk_mat
Hi Immigration is pretty easy here, if you have a job offer you can get an FM3, if not come as a tourist and get an FM3 rentista, which basically means you are here supporting yourself with money from the U.K. Bringing up a child here is good, I find the maxican family values much better than in the U.K now, and kids can remain kids a lot longer (obviously depending on you and the environment). What do you do for work?? Puebla is a lovely multicultural city with plenty of jobs. Its a little hard to reply when I am not sure what you want to do for work, and remember if you are not an engineer or something you are not going to make much money. I work for a company in Cancun on their website and make 30,000 pesos a month, plenty to live on here. give us more info. please and check out my site.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply(s) Ideally my husband and I would like to have our own business, a small guest house or retreat. Not sure if this is do-able in Mexico or not? Don't really have any jobs in mind for us as we would like to be self-sufficient and working together. We are big on spending as much time with our daughter in the early years as possible and thats why we thought of running a business. I have been trying to find some info on Mexican Immigration. Bit confusing. So, if I were looking to invest it would have to be 40,000 times the avg. daily wage. What!!?? Am I complicating things?
I really liked what you said about kids being kids longer. Thats one of the reasons we are so keen on emigrating away from the UK.
Thanks again
Jules
Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

markp1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,

I am Mark, 26 year old male from UK who has just returned from a wonderful holiday in Cancun, Mexico.

While there I went to look at the Punta Cancun apartments (www.puntacancun.com.mx) and fell in love with the place, the views and the weather!

I am self employed and run my businesses online, which i can do from anywhere, so why not in paradise!

I am now seriously considering moving to Cancun, Mexico and looking for advice, tips and information of how, what, and when.....

Also, would love to speak to anyone who is living in cancun or other areas in mexico....

PM me to Get in touch!

Thanks

Mark

Last edited by markp1980; Apr 13th 2007 at 2:44 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

kirk_mat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markp1980
Hello All,

I am Mark, 26 year old male from UK who has just returned from a wonderful holiday in Cancun, Mexico.

While there I went to look at the Punta Cancun apartments (www.puntacancun.com.mx) and fell in love with the place, the views and the weather!

I am self employed and run my businesses online, which i can do from anywhere, so why not in paradise!

I am now seriously considering moving to Cancun, Mexico and looking for advice, tips and information of how, what, and when.....

Also, would love to speak to anyone who is living in cancun or other areas in mexico....

My MSN is: <<snip>>

My Email is: <<snip>>

Get in touch!

Thanks

Mark
Hi Mark,
I am 31 from England and living in Cancun, I am married to a mexican so my situation is different, however, its a lot of paperwork but not to difficult. Come here on a tourist visa for 3 months, then I know a company that will sort your paperwork out. They did mine and its a lot less hassle than trying to do it yourself. I am not 100% sure, but I think this is the way it goes. You can get an FM3 rentista, which means you have money to support yourself here (the amount is average 18000 a month(pesos) You will need to bring all your documents and a statement from the bank with your last 3 statements and a letter saying this is your average monthly balance is EX amount. If you want to buy a house then you can and the bank holds it in a trust, if it is within 50kms of the beach, but this is no problem. Basically just come and rent somewhere to start and take it from there. You can fix anything here with a bit of cash. I will help you with anything I can, finding an apartment and setting everything up, no probs. Just get yourself out here, its really not that hard!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markp1980
Hello All,

Get in touch!

Thanks

Mark

Welcome - can I suggest that u remove your email details and have people PM you.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

ellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really nice

Hi Mark

Check out Tulum and Playa da Carmen, both south of Cancun. Amazing and well worth the trip!!

Good luck
Old Apr 15th 2007, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

markp1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ellapops
Hi Mark

Check out Tulum and Playa da Carmen, both south of Cancun. Amazing and well worth the trip!!

Good luck
Thanks Ellepops,

I will make sure I visit them two places the next time I visit in June.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Especially TULUM but you need to travel through Playa de Carmen to get there so it's worth a visit too. Hope you have a great time in June.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

kellysgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I am so pleased to have found this site and particularly this forum.

I have fallen in love with Puerto Vallarta and long to move over there.

I too have read that you need to invest 40000 x the daily wage!

Any advice would be very welcome. I have a friend who owns a business and have a possibility to go into business with him but not sure how to go about this.

Does anybody else live or know any british that live around the area?
Old May 26th 2007, 9:29 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all. I'm over here on an excursion from the Spain board, so please be gentle!!

I've read through this thread and sent one or two of you emails with the following points.

Live in Spain at the moment with Spanish missus and she's mulling over taking up a job in Mexico City working as a co-ordinator in the Private School sector. We've been told that the schools and where they will house us is in the suburbs. Is this suburbs like leafy Surrey or suburbs like the dodgier areas of Madrid?

We - and particulary I - have grave doubts about the move. For example, I've heard that it is quite dangerous, especially for foreigners. Looking through the comments here, the party line is "it's like any other big city". Would like a bit more detail than that if anyone can oblige.

We are in our mid-30's and maybe don't have the same requirements to live as the more adventurous post-grads in early 20's ie we prefer the quiet life - a decent local bar and some semi-decent restaurants.

Is 4000 dollars a month before tax a decent wage? Is tax high? Accommodation is provided but if we're not happy, what's the average rent for a decent place in a safe neighbourhood?

There's a possibility - as it is only a one year rolling contract - that missus might go on her own while I continue with my business interests in Spain. Is it safe for her on her own? (I would need a hell of a lot of convincing for that one!!)

Also, how reliable is internet in Mexico? Is the local telecom provider expensive? This is essential for me to monitor our business in Spain whilst in Mexico.

I might need to do some work if I do join her there. I have very high level spoken Spanish although my written stuff needs to be checked as I have no sense of grammar whatsover!!! Is it easy enough for a Brit to get a job?

I'm sure I've got loads more questions but this will do for starters.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

Madmex is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,
I have lived in Monterrey for the last 7 years now and looking through the forum have noticed that most of the comments regard Mexico city or Cancun (area)

If i can help anyone with questions regarding this part of the world then please contact me.

I have been to Cancun 3 times now and it is a great place (always said I would move there when the kids finish Uni ) but 3 years ago I drove down the Gulf coast and if there is a more beautiful state than Vera cruz then I have yet to see it. We travelled the coast along the Costa Esmeralda and it was like the cover on a chocolate box. It was not overcrowded like Cancun, in fact it is rather the opposite. My friend took the same route last year and it has become a bit more populated but like me fell in love with the whole area.

I personally think Mexico is not truly exploiting one of its greatest assets, which is its fantastic coastline. My kids often go to the pacific coast and return with the same sort of stories.

Monterrey is a huge University city and I can vouch that education is not cheap, but it is of a very high standard.

One to remember for anybody moving to Mexico (especially the North) is the very high temperatures. We average around 40° C in the height of the summer, sounds great but takes a lot of getting used to.

Mexico is a great place to retire to

Just to add to the above post. I run a cyber here and the internet is generally very good, not as cheap as the UK but I have a 2MB download at a reasonable cost.

Last edited by Madmex; Jun 6th 2007 at 11:13 pm. Reason: add more
Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:39 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmex
hi,
I have lived in Monterrey for the last 7 years now and looking through the forum have noticed that most of the comments regard Mexico city or Cancun (area)

If i can help anyone with questions regarding this part of the world then please contact me.

I have been to Cancun 3 times now and it is a great place (always said I would move there when the kids finish Uni ) but 3 years ago I drove down the Gulf coast and if there is a more beautiful state than Vera cruz then I have yet to see it. We travelled the coast along the Costa Esmeralda and it was like the cover on a chocolate box. It was not overcrowded like Cancun, in fact it is rather the opposite. My friend took the same route last year and it has become a bit more populated but like me fell in love with the whole area.

I personally think Mexico is not truly exploiting one of its greatest assets, which is its fantastic coastline. My kids often go to the pacific coast and return with the same sort of stories.

Monterrey is a huge University city and I can vouch that education is not cheap, but it is of a very high standard.

One to remember for anybody moving to Mexico (especially the North) is the very high temperatures. We average around 40° C in the height of the summer, sounds great but takes a lot of getting used to.

Mexico is a great place to retire to

Just to add to the above post. I run a cyber here and the internet is generally very good, not as cheap as the UK but I have a 2MB download at a reasonable cost.
Is there an English language paper or magazine based in Mesico City? Daily, weekly or monthly? My background is in newspapers so that would be nice to do there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.