Mexico!!!

Old Jun 29th 2004, 9:06 am
Badge

Default Mexico!!!

Anyone made the move?!

Here's a starter for 10...where are the best sites for real estate, jobs, culture.

What are the opportunities like for English speaking professionals in the Mexico City conurbation? What is it like to commute to the city from the countryside around?

What is the situation with regard to tourism?

Badge

Old Jun 29th 2004, 12:57 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mexico!!!

Originally posted by badgersmount
Anyone made the move?!
Badge
Are you thinking about it then mate?
Old Jun 29th 2004, 10:35 pm
Badge

We had a brainwave where we had an idea of living between the two countries...

a) this means that we could be mortgage free in Mexico - the pressure would be off paying off a home in Australia but we could still live here.

it is not because I do not like Australia - far from it - the idea would only appeal to me if I could return on a regular basis to Australia with no restriction. That's the whole point.

The idea is all about choice and flexibility - which is priceless.

BM

Last edited by badgersmount; Jun 29th 2004 at 10:37 pm.

Old Jun 29th 2004, 11:33 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
We had a brainwave where we had an idea of living between the two countries...

a) this means that we could be mortgage free in Mexico - the pressure would be off paying off a home in Australia but we could still live here.

it is not because I do not like Australia - far from it - the idea would only appeal to me if I could return on a regular basis to Australia with no restriction. That's the whole point.

The idea is all about choice and flexibility - which is priceless.

BM

Lots of the info. you need is here.

http://www.embamex.co.uk/

However, you should not have any illusions about working in Mexico. The economy is extremely weak and there are not enough jobs for the Mexicans, let alone foreigners. Mexico City is impressive, the culture incredible, the whole history of the country fascinating. People are generous, friendly and hospitable. The level of crime and violence in el D.F. is very high due to so much desperate poverty, driving is, er, exciting, and the traffic is beyod belief. Life is cheap if you are earning dollars, pounds, etc. If you are earning pesos, it's not. A lower to mid-level exec. makes about 15,000 - 18,000USD. If you will be employed and paid by a foreign company, you will do better of course.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 12:00 am
Badge

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Lots of the info. you need is here.

http://www.embamex.co.uk/

However, you should not have any illusions about working in Mexico. The economy is extremely weak and there are not enough jobs for the Mexicans, let alone foreigners. Mexico City is impressive, the culture incredible, the whole history of the country fascinating. People are generous, friendly and hospitable. The level of crime and violence in el D.F. is very high due to so much desperate poverty, driving is, er, exciting, and the traffic is beyod belief. Life is cheap if you are earning dollars, pounds, etc. If you are earning pesos, it's not. A lower to mid-level exec. makes about 15,000 - 18,000USD. If you will be employed and paid by a foreign company, you will do better of course.
I have already been told about the pollution, crime and poverty. Due to my background, friends and contacts, I would have a reasonable chance of getting a job with a US international, and also I would have a house to live in rent free. We would also have a lot of money to help generate income.

Thanks, you have said basically what my friends have said.

BM

Old Jun 30th 2004, 7:30 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

The economy is extremely weak and there are not enough jobs for the Mexicans,
But I bet the guacemole and nachos are to die for
Old Jun 30th 2004, 12:25 pm
Badge

Originally posted by HUP

the real reason to go, really...

Old Jun 30th 2004, 5:44 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HUP

The guacamole's delicious (watch out, it will have chopped up serrano peppers in it - excellent for clearing up sinusitis). Nachos don't really exist - that's more Tex-Mex. In some restaurants, and certainly if you get out into the country, you will be able to sample indigenous delicacies such as crickets and beetles. On streetside food stands you can get great quesadillas, with everything you can imagine in them and several things you can't.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 10:55 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

you will be able to sample indigenous delicacies such as crickets and beetles
God Steve what are ya waiting for . I bet if you ask Kiki nicely she'll knock you some up.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 11:16 pm

Originally posted by HUP
God Steve what are ya waiting for . I bet if you ask Kiki nicely she'll knock you some up.
Actually, some of them don't even need to be cooked, you just crunch them up - gotta catch them first, of course.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 4:15 pm
Keelie

Try : www. mexconnect.com and www.chapala.com.

A popular expat community is the village of Ajijic at Lake Chapala.
Hundred of Canadians, yanks and assorted European, Brits live there happily. Climate is hard to beat year-round. Cost of living would seem low to a Brit.
Most of the aforementioned who live year-round are retired folk or "snowbirds" from Canada.
The expats who run their own businesses successfully are mainly catering to expats. Restaurants, Real-estate, house rentals, car rentals, tours, internet providers.
It's highly unlikely that you'll find work with a Mexican company.
Lot's of writers. artists, and people working from home on their computers.

Old Jul 19th 2004, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

sirlaughsalott has a brilliant futuresirlaughsalott has a brilliant futuresirlaughsalott has a brilliant futuresirlaughsalott has a brilliant futuresirlaughsalott has a brilliant futuresirlaughsalott has a brilliant futuresirlaughsalott has a brilliant future
Cool

I lived in Ajijic for a year. It was very quiet with little night life. Cheap though with excellent weather. The expat population is OLD. I would maybe move back there once I was over 65. Still living in Mexico - been in Cancun for 3 years. More expensive, not so good weather - but.. three new big Supermarkets and two new Hosptitals. Fantastic Night life and very little crime. Getting the FM3 visa is easier once you are here than applying outside Mexico. javascript:smilie('')
Old Sep 19th 2005, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

CJKennerley has a brilliant futureCJKennerley has a brilliant futureCJKennerley has a brilliant futureCJKennerley has a brilliant futureCJKennerley has a brilliant futureCJKennerley has a brilliant futureCJKennerley has a brilliant future

Hi,

I'm contemplating a move out to Mexico early 2006, spotted your message on this website and wondered whether you had made the move and had any wise words of guidance as a result?! I'm quite lucky in that if I go it will be an arrangement made with my job, so I have a job and my employer will sort visas etc.

Whatever your situation, hope this finds you well & happy!

Jo