I Love Mexico/I Hate Mexico

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

Couture is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I Love Mexico/I Hate Mexico

Originally Posted by CelticRover
I just returned from a beautiful week on the beach, dining on fresh shrimp and washing it down with smooth tequila and Dos Equis XX cerveza . However not too far away, this was the underlying situation:

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/bord...1e26406d7.html
where were you?
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Couture
where were you?

Acerca del Mar de Cortes del Norte, as far away from the narcotrafficantes as possible.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

Acerca del Mar de Cortes del Norte, as far away from the narcotrafficantes as possible.
Ah i dunno that one... is that over in Mazatlan?

It has been pretty hairy for a bit now here - with all the bicentenario celebrations and now day of the dead etc, theres been a whopping great police presence in DF. Id appreciate it but the police here just dont have the same presence as a big 6'3" beat copper from Glasgow. They have as much intimidation value as a neutered kitten.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Couture
Ah i dunno that one... is that over in Mazatlan?

It has been pretty hairy for a bit now here - with all the bicentenario celebrations and now day of the dead etc, theres been a whopping great police presence in DF. Id appreciate it but the police here just dont have the same presence as a big 6'3" beat copper from Glasgow. They have as much intimidation value as a neutered kitten.
The northern part of The Sea of Cortes (Mexican name) is also called The Gulf of California by the US and is only one hour below the Arizona/Mexico border.

I have also always felt that growing up in Glasgow has given me a certain street smarts which has served me well around the world, but these cartel types are something I hope I never have to go up against.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Did you drive over?
The Canadian contingent of the family is headed right there for the winter sailing season (and the rest of the American side of the fam is only just over the border there...) I confess, it's all making me a little nervous now (we've driven down several times & never worried).

Just wondering what the mood on the ground is there at the coast.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by meauxna
Did you drive over?
The Canadian contingent of the family is headed right there for the winter sailing season (and the rest of the American side of the fam is only just over the border there...) I confess, it's all making me a little nervous now (we've driven down several times & never worried).

Just wondering what the mood on the ground is there at the coast.
Yes, I always drive over since it allows me a lot of flexibility and the ability to transport various supplies.

While there are those who feel that the sky is falling, I have not felt anymore unsafe today than I have in the past. Occasionally there are shootings here and there around the northern beaches but generally the violence is concentrated in specific areas where cartels are competing for turf.

http://isitsafetotraveltomexico.com/

http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/07/news...ence/index.htm
Old Nov 4th 2010, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

yeah the media tend to make it worse by continually posting pictures of bodies on the front page of the newspapers...

south lanarkshire lad myself so i like to think it affords me some kind of awareness out and about. in a few situations now ive just walked on though... seen fights taking place etc and could have stepped in but didnt bother... ill stick to my MMA and leave it in the cage.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not to worry, the US Cavalry will be down there shorly to sort things out.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...olicy1110.html
Old Nov 11th 2010, 12:24 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Not to worry, the US Cavalry will be down there shorly to sort things out.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...olicy1110.html
They've already been at it for two years? Not promising.

Good editorial mention here in Oregon today of the 30+ Mexican journalists who've been murdered over the past few years.
I can't believe Mexican politics does not get more play up here (omg, who am I kidding, that is my 2nd 'dream' post this week!).
Old Nov 11th 2010, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by meauxna
They've already been at it for two years? Not promising.

Good editorial mention here in Oregon today of the 30+ Mexican journalists who've been murdered over the past few years.
I can't believe Mexican politics does not get more play up here (omg, who am I kidding, that is my 2nd 'dream' post this week!).

And still they are heroically on the job.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xf9...tels-line_news
Old Nov 11th 2010, 5:11 pm

And still they are heroically on the job.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xf9...tels-line_news
Thanks for that link, what a great report and that site.. why haven't I been there before? Good stuff.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hope or hoax?

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...drugs1111.html
Old Nov 11th 2010, 10:07 pm

mmm, good question.
The version I read this morning concluded with the gov't saying "We can not negotiate with criminals."

It's pretty hard to believe it's true.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cityhog
Listen to your fellow B-expat's ranting. He's desperate to leave Mexico for Canada.

Ooooh! I'm being cross-posted! Well, I did start the current thread...

Couture - some excellent comments there Bro' and you expressed all my discontents with this place. Sure, we get it a little different up here in t'North but the underlying anarchy, when combined with general incivility, makes it a distressing place to be when all one has known is the relatively calm occident.

Examples:
A new home-furnishings store has opened opposite us. What do they do? Naturally, they drag a pair of frikkin' HUGE speakers outside and start pumping out the amplified sub-bass all day and well into the evening. The store workers don't care, they have the doors closed and the AC on.

They're building a bus terminal next door yo our house (we live in downtown Tampico). T'other day, the painting contractor decides its time to spray-paint the steelwork for the canopy being built. Trouble was, there was a 'Norte' wind coming and over-spray got blown over our, and several other, parked cars on the street. Painter's boss's response? You shouldn't have parked there, mate!

I open the front door yesterday afternoon and there's a young woman in our porch urging her kid, a boy of about 4, to pee up against our front door. What the hell? I ask. Her reply? 'Well, he has to pee SOMEWHERE' - sure, and up against the door of a private house is as good as anywhere, right?

And you could multiply these examples many times over and still be accused of being picky or critical by folk who don't seem to understand that this is a third world country at heart - even if it has a trillion dollar economy that ranks it 12th in the world.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

vunklawx will become famous soon enoughvunklawx will become famous soon enough

Ay Caramba!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.