Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Central, South America & Mexico
Reload this Page >

HELP! Brazil business trip - VISA/Passport issue!

HELP! Brazil business trip - VISA/Passport issue!

Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

dunkie26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP! Brazil business trip - VISA/Passport issue!

OK, I have an issue, that may be unfixable. I just found out that I need a visa when travelling on my US passport to Brazil from the USA. In the past i always travelled from the UK, just using UK passport.

I also found out that due to the NY brazil visa office being on strike, and the timeframe for turnaround is a week, I basically cannot get this done in time for my meetings.

As a brand new US citizen, now with American and my old British passport, is there the ability for me to flyfrom the usa to Brazil on my British passport, as Brazil does not require a visa for UK citizens?

American Airlines said i needed a visa to travel to brazil from the usa. I then asked the lady to check her system from the UK to Brazil, and it also said I needer a visa, which I believe is incorrect based on the consulate info...

Im guessing Im hosed here, and will have to try and find a way to connect in some other latin american country or something....but any insight appreciated.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

debzor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELP! Brazil business trip - VISA/Passport issue!

Originally Posted by dunkie26
OK, I have an issue, that may be unfixable. I just found out that I need a visa when travelling on my US passport to Brazil from the USA. In the past i always travelled from the UK, just using UK passport.

I also found out that due to the NY brazil visa office being on strike, and the timeframe for turnaround is a week, I basically cannot get this done in time for my meetings.

As a brand new US citizen, now with American and my old British passport, is there the ability for me to flyfrom the usa to Brazil on my British passport, as Brazil does not require a visa for UK citizens?

American Airlines said i needed a visa to travel to brazil from the usa. I then asked the lady to check her system from the UK to Brazil, and it also said I needer a visa, which I believe is incorrect based on the consulate info...

Im guessing Im hosed here, and will have to try and find a way to connect in some other latin american country or something....but any insight appreciated.
May be too late, but leave the US on your American passport, and enter Brazil using the British passport. Use the British one when you leave Brazil, and the American one when you re-enter the US.