Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Rest of the World / Central, South America & Mexico

Old Jan 27th 2017, 4:50 pm   #1
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Gringo colonies in Mexico

For some time now, my wife and I have talked about retiring to Mexico, and have been checking out places where expats live. With the US Dollar so strong, it certainly makes economic sense to go there; the violence seems to be limited to specific parts of the country, and doesn't put us off. We've been to Mexico and other Central American countries, and feel comfortable in the Latino culture, even though our Spanish is pretty basic.

However... I'm wondering if the current squabble with the US government has changed the attitude towards foreign residents, and their physical safety. I'd be grateful for any useful advice or information from BE members familiar with the situation. Thank you.
Gordon Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th 2017, 12:04 pm   #2
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Gringo colonies in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
For some time now, my wife and I have talked about retiring to Mexico, and have been checking out places where expats live. With the US Dollar so strong, it certainly makes economic sense to go there; the violence seems to be limited to specific parts of the country, and doesn't put us off. We've been to Mexico and other Central American countries, and feel comfortable in the Latino culture, even though our Spanish is pretty basic.

However... I'm wondering if the current squabble with the US government has changed the attitude towards foreign residents, and their physical safety. I'd be grateful for any useful advice or information from BE members familiar with the situation. Thank you.
Hi Gordon
I havent been to Mexico for some years now, and to be honest, have no intention of visiting there again. From what I know and have read is that ignoring the narco violence, robberies are a normal occurrence there and there's the problem of the lightning kidnappings for whatever cash they can get.

I would ask myself why I would want to live there? I think cost of living is only low if you live like a run of the mill Mexican. If you want to live decently, ie a secure area, good medical services etc, it costs a lot just like anywhere.

We live in Chile, which I can highly recommend. It is civilized, a variety of climates to choose from, and things work, and your Spanish doesnt have to be good!
dfjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th 2017, 2:07 pm   #3
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjordan View Post
Hi Gordon
I havent been to Mexico for some years now, and to be honest, have no intention of visiting there again. From what I know and have read is that ignoring the narco violence, robberies are a normal occurrence there and there's the problem of the lightning kidnappings for whatever cash they can get.

I would ask myself why I would want to live there? I think cost of living is only low if you live like a run of the mill Mexican. If you want to live decently, ie a secure area, good medical services etc, it costs a lot just like anywhere.

We live in Chile, which I can highly recommend. It is civilized, a variety of climates to choose from, and things work, and your Spanish doesnt have to be good!
Gosh, Jordan. That's very valuable advice, which I certainly appreciate. I hear good things about Chile; are there direct flights to there from Cuba? We have daily flights to Cuba from here, and I was planning to use Havana to get to Mexico. (I'm a bit scared to go via the US, these days!) So Cayman-Havana-Santiago would be feasible. We would want to keep a foot in both places, since our son lives here.
Gordon Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th 2017, 6:38 pm   #4
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
Gosh, Jordan. That's very valuable advice, which I certainly appreciate. I hear good things about Chile; are there direct flights to there from Cuba? We have daily flights to Cuba from here, and I was planning to use Havana to get to Mexico. (I'm a bit scared to go via the US, these days!) So Cayman-Havana-Santiago would be feasible. We would want to keep a foot in both places, since our son lives here.

You hadnt mentioned Cuba ! Copa fly Havana to Santiago with a change of planes in Panama. There are also direct flights from Santiago to Mexico. Like you, I dont go anywhere that involves a flight via the US, as I read so many nightmare stories of delays with security checks. There are many other and better places to go to in the world.
dfjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Rest of the World / Central, South America & Mexico