Expats in Guadalajara

Old May 25th 2012, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Frozen_Planet_Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Expats in Guadalajara

Hi Guys

I am new to this forum. I recently moved to Gdl to teach English for a while. I'm loving it so far, and I'm trying to get to grips with Spanish (I don't have an affinity for languages, but I'm sure I'll get there!).

I'm in my mid-twenties, so I was wondering if there were any fellow younger Brits out there that might fancy meeting up for a drink!? Though any responses are welcome

Thanks

Charlie
Old Jun 5th 2012, 8:44 am
Just Joined

vandra leach is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Expats in Guadalajara

Hi Charlie

I will be moving out to GDL at the end of July and am pleased to know there is at least one other Brit over there! I visited GDL for three months earlier this year to see my fiancee, and whilst I was there I did not meet any other Brits although I met Italians and Germans. I did find an Irish pub down town selling guinness and trying to get together a rugby team so there must be Brits around.

Where abouts are you teaching?

Regards

Vandra
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:45 am
Just Joined

Hi Vandra! Thank goodness someone replied. I thought this may be another unanswered thread on this site. I am currently teaching in Tlaquepaque, but will be moving in to Guad in 3 months, once my contract here has ended. I don't suppose you know the name of the pub do you? I'm not much in to rugby, but I like men who are Do you know where you will be living when you arrive? Also, are you excited for your move?

Thanks

Charlie
Old Aug 20th 2012, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

JohnnyG16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Charlie

I am looking into moving to Gdl in October with my Mexican girlfriend for about a year whist we sort out her visa for moving back to London. Anyway, I have heard teaching English is one of the most common jobs for English speakers but I am worried that my extreme lack of Spanish may be a problem? (trying to learn as much as possible now before I arrive!)

I was just interested to hear your experience of getting a job in the city and if you had any tips?

Although I do not know any Brits in Gdl I do know a number of very good speaking locals who know the local bars very well and would be happy to meet up with you when I am there. I am sure it would be nice to see a fellow Brit!

Thanks
Johnny
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Buenos dias Johnny!

English teaching is definitely the way to go for getting a job in Gdl. I wouldn't worry in the slightest about having little Spanish to get a teaching position, because really you shouldn't be speaking English in the classroom anyway, and most employers prefer you not to. Plus it is not a prerequisite.

I would try to learn some Spanish before you arrive (like myself), but I imagine you'll be learning a lot once you get here. Make your girlfriend speak to you in Spanish!

You should check out http://www.ici.edu.mx/ this is a company that supplies English classes to adults and businesses. They pay 80 -120 pesos an hour, depending on which classes you are teaching. This is a good rate for teachers here, I don't think I have heard of anywhere paying more, however, I have had 2 friends work there, and one told me that on some days she spent 7 hours teaching and 5 hours travelling to the companies. (Just a little warning). Other than this they seem to pay on time, be reasonably well organised and they help you sort out a work visa. Also, you will get free Spanish lessons through them!

I actually got a job with this company, but I will not be taking it. My situation has changed and I will be leaving for Guatemala in 2 weeks!

Good luck, and bring teabags.

Saludos

Charlie
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

JohnnyG16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Frozen_Planet_Fan
Buenos dias Johnny!

English teaching is definitely the way to go for getting a job in Gdl. I wouldn't worry in the slightest about having little Spanish to get a teaching position, because really you shouldn't be speaking English in the classroom anyway, and most employers prefer you not to. Plus it is not a prerequisite.

I would try to learn some Spanish before you arrive (like myself), but I imagine you'll be learning a lot once you get here. Make your girlfriend speak to you in Spanish!

You should check out http://www.ici.edu.mx/ this is a company that supplies English classes to adults and businesses. They pay 80 -120 pesos an hour, depending on which classes you are teaching. This is a good rate for teachers here, I don't think I have heard of anywhere paying more, however, I have had 2 friends work there, and one told me that on some days she spent 7 hours teaching and 5 hours travelling to the companies. (Just a little warning). Other than this they seem to pay on time, be reasonably well organised and they help you sort out a work visa. Also, you will get free Spanish lessons through them!

I actually got a job with this company, but I will not be taking it. My situation has changed and I will be leaving for Guatemala in 2 weeks!

Good luck, and bring teabags.

Saludos

Charlie
Buenos tardes Charlie!

Thanks for the response and most of all the advise! I will certainly be looking into ICI to see if they will be able to offer me a job. I hope you meant I shouldn't be speaking Spanish in the classroom! I will be struggling the other way round! haha

I like the idea that ICI pays for your Spanish classes though!

Love the tip about the tea bags, not sure what I would do with out a good cup of tea!

Thanks again Charlie and good luck in Guatemala

Ciao

Johnny
Old Apr 5th 2013, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

batmanswritehand is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my goodness, Brits who aren't retired in Mexico.

I move to Guadalajara in 29 days, I'm just graduating, I don't speak a word of Spanish... I'm a big mess of excitement and fear haha.

Are you guys still here?
Old Apr 15th 2013, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Jake1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Another Brit in GDL here!! Hope we all get the chance to meet up. (im not retired either!)

Best regards,
Jake
Old May 24th 2013, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

I'm here now, living and breathing Guadalajara... Where about are you living? We're quite close to the metropolitan park - down for a drink at some point?
Old May 24th 2013, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Always, we're over near the Plaza del Sol. I am working overseas at the moment. but will be in contact close to when I am coming back. I know a couple of other brit lads out here also. So I am thinking I might have to organise a Brit expat meet-up.

Whos up for it?
Old May 25th 2013, 2:10 am
Just Joined

I'm on Tepeyac.

That sounds awesome, I have an email for an english chick here too - I'll try and get into contact. Let me know when you're back - god knows I need to speak with someone other than my Man and his Mum!!
Old Jun 1st 2013, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Ahh so you're around Chapalita, nice one. I'm due back the end of the month. So Ill sort out a meet up. Any one else up for a Brit-up?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

salto_jorge is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to hijack your thread !!!!

But.

Can any ExPats in GDL recommend an English speaking person to do home repair.
Thank you
Old Aug 26th 2013, 5:16 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help with anyone's queries in this thread becaause I live in the US, but I just wanted to pop by and weclome you to the BE forum
Old Nov 13th 2013, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Manchester Jon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi new to gdl and this forum ....
First day here , would be good to speak to and meet up with fellow Brits ...
Please post reply ... Muchas gracias

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.