Costa Rica - Networking

Old Mar 18th 2012, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Costa Rica - Networking

Hi there, bit of a global nomad and decided I want a change for sunnier and warmer weather. Fact is I grew up in developing countries, but have been back in Europe for the past 11 years (with a short stint in the middle east..which I absolutely hated for its double standards, rampant racist, boring lifestyle, ass backwards mentality and the general idiotic and arrogant attitude of the expats..loved the money but its not my main motivation in life if you can believe that) and a bit bored of the endless rush to do things for no climate compensation. I was living in Africa and Asia prior to my return to Europe, and my old man lives in DR with my native stepmother where I have been frequently over the years. So looking for anyone who lives in Costa Rica potentially to get in touch so I could investigate potential networks and hear some on the ground stories. It might sound like some pipe dream, but I am used to living out of context, so spare me the warnings..I've done my time in countries with civil war and real terrorism..in fact, a bit of an al qaeida guinea pig even at a cinema in Manila. Just looking for some sound advice and tips on how to proceed. I happen to be at a stage in my life where I can make some decisions on where to live based on personal finance...and its not here. I miss the sun, I miss a beach, and most of all..I miss everything not being perfect and somewhat chaotic.

Before anyone tells me how life is different, culture, etc..no need. I've spent time in El Salvador and the Carribean as well as a few SA countries so I know what to expect, and I am able to adapt to my surroundings quite quick. My reason for choosing Costa Rica I think should speak for itself. I'm essentially after a perfect climate and a somewhat developed country ( I mean this from a sub saharan africa sort of standard..anywhere more developed than that will suffice, though I do prefer somewhere slightly more advanced than El Salvador) with a relatively laid back approach to life. I am not fluent in Spanish, but I have a good basis to launch off which I understand can be tricky, though my old man has via work learnt a multitude of languages so I can't see why I can't. Ideally, I'd be looking at an expat package naturally, though I am willing to forfeit this for a job within my field as I reckon it would pay well in local terms for me to survive. I do have a relatively niche market job, which in any country is always in demand either through government or private sector. I'm an Urban Planner/Designer with several years of experience dealing with the planning and design process of small to large projects. So if anyone knows a decent size architecture firm I'd love to hear about them. I have also looked at the visas available, and could potentially go in to invest money, though I am reluctant to go this route as I feel I could only do this with people I knew and trusted..which I have non off in the country. I am currently also investigating business opportunities I could undertake by myself based on the wise words from my old man, 'I wish I had done this 20 years ago had I known how easy it was'. I'm a bit of jack of all trades and quite perceptive and currently riding a wave of positive larger than normal, I thrive on a good challenge.

I'm always open for suggestions should anyone have other propositions on where to live. But to me, Costa Rica just sounds like a good blend of what I seek. I don't want to hide behind an electric fence in a compound surrounded by armed guards..been there, done that, got the t shirt. It is essentially my only demand..everything else I'll consider later to see if it adds up. I will be wanting to scout the place prior to moving as well naturally, as I don't want to get trapped somewhere I might not enjoy. It's the earliest of days yet, so I am in no rush to make a decision. My only assumption thus far is that I would be living in San Jose. Sounds like a perfectly sized city for me as well with it's 400k residents +-. Big city life bores me to tears, and so does the countryside. A big village would be ideal..somewhere on the border of town/city size as this amount of people sound like. For those interested, I'm currently living in Norway. I do speak a bit of Spanish and Portuguese, and will begin o brush up on it in the following weeks. My only worry is the education level of the Costa Ricans, or Tico's if you wish.. and the possibly competition for jobs..hence I am looking to network a little as I live by it's not what you know, but who you know.

I'm not looking to move permanently, as I have never lived in a country for more than 4 years throughout my life..though I suppose I am at a juncture in life where permanence is beginning to creep in. Central and South america seem like a good place to be in the coming years for my specific line of work and I want to get my foot in the door as early on in my career as possible which I intend to utilize later in life. My partner will also be coming with me, she is a qualified architect.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone.

Last edited by Paracletus; Mar 19th 2012 at 12:48 am.