Costa Rica

Old Jul 6th 2010, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Gedelzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Costa Rica

Looking at Costa Rica as our home for 18month but where to start.
I need a good international school for my 9yr old, obviously I want the area to be safe and friendly. Can anyone shed some light on nice areas to live?
Our move will take place in Sept so any news at this stage would be appreciated.

Gedelzo
Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costa Rica

What's the plan for your visa/permit to live in Costa Rica?

Do you speak Spanish?
Old Jul 12th 2010, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Gedelzo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for getting back to me but a this stage we have decided to stay put

But with us you never know.
regards

Gedelzo
Old Aug 11th 2010, 10:52 am
Just Joined

simon_e is an unknown quantity at this point

Costa Rica is a great place to live as I lived there for five wonderful years. I ended living there after running into the typical problems being the law in supportive of the females over males and local customs. False accusiations are easily made here and sadly the accuser wins nearly all the time. My experience was not unique and happened to most single men I know who live there. The average salary is shy of $500 a month so sometimes foreigners are seen as an easy solution.

However if you keep yourself to yourself and have your wits about you, you will be ok.

There is an international school in Escazu which caters to American children called the Country Day school. There are also other less expensive but euqally qualified schools catering for international students.

As for living there, there are many options including the 'perpertual tourist route'. Basically leaving and re-entering the country every 90 days. However if you invest in property you can qualify for a residency status or should you retire and prove a pension you can qualify for a different kind of residency. The Perpertual Tourist route they turn a blind eye to but can lead you into some difficulties. However if you are consistant and spend money in the country they will have no reason to deport you.

Average gringo cost of rent in Escazu/Santa Ana is about $700-$1,200 per month with an additional $100 for electricity/water etc. Cost of living in regards to food etc works out higher than the states, however other things are cheaper including going out to the bars etc.

AMCostaRica.com and TicoTimes.net are great starting places to find out what it is like to live in CR.

Last edited by simon_e; Aug 11th 2010 at 10:57 am.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 5:24 am
Just Joined

Harry100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Simon,

Many thanks for useful data & sorry to hear you ran into some problems.

I wonder if I could pick your brains re the following:

1) Approximately what would a newish quality 3 bedroom condo (about 180 M2) with good recreational facilities cost per month to rent in San Jose (area needs to be safe & convenient & not necessarily the most upmarket) ?

2) What would it cost a couple to live reasonably well (not overboard !) in San Jose on a monthly basis, excluding overseas holidays ?

Simon, any data re above would be most appreciated. Likewise, if any other people are familiar with Costa Rica, I would welcome feedback/cost breakdowns.

Cheers,

Harry

Originally Posted by simon_e
Costa Rica is a great place to live as I lived there for five wonderful years. I ended living there after running into the typical problems being the law in supportive of the females over males and local customs. False accusiations are easily made here and sadly the accuser wins nearly all the time. My experience was not unique and happened to most single men I know who live there. The average salary is shy of $500 a month so sometimes foreigners are seen as an easy solution.

However if you keep yourself to yourself and have your wits about you, you will be ok.

There is an international school in Escazu which caters to American children called the Country Day school. There are also other less expensive but euqally qualified schools catering for international students.

As for living there, there are many options including the 'perpertual tourist route'. Basically leaving and re-entering the country every 90 days. However if you invest in property you can qualify for a residency status or should you retire and prove a pension you can qualify for a different kind of residency. The Perpertual Tourist route they turn a blind eye to but can lead you into some difficulties. However if you are consistant and spend money in the country they will have no reason to deport you.

Average gringo cost of rent in Escazu/Santa Ana is about $700-$1,200 per month with an additional $100 for electricity/water etc. Cost of living in regards to food etc works out higher than the states, however other things are cheaper including going out to the bars etc.

AMCostaRica.com and TicoTimes.net are great starting places to find out what it is like to live in CR.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

1) Approximately what would a newish quality 3 bedroom condo (about 180 M2) with good recreational facilities cost per month to rent in San Jose (area needs to be safe & convenient & not necessarily the most upmarket) ?

You are probably looking at $800-$1,200 per month to rent a decent place but you will need to shop around. You normally need to signup for a years contract and pay a deposit (one months rent) as well as the months rent upfront. Escazu/Santa Ana are the best and most gringo friendly place to live.

2) What would it cost a couple to live reasonably well (not overboard !) in San Jose on a monthly basis, excluding overseas holidays ?

You can budget about $3,000 including rent to live ok in Costa Rica. Petrol, food, tours, rent etc... but I know some and a lot of people who live on a $1,000 a month - so that is quite possible. However I did not live any cheaper than $2,500 a month.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Harry100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Simon,

Thats excellent feedback & exactly what I was after.

So, you are satisfied a couple can live very well on about $2000 US per month excluding rental/overseas holidays ?

Simon, what about recreational/country clubs in San Jose - are they expensive/easy to join ??

Many thanks again,

Harry
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

If you do not eat out every night and are quite conservative about some things you can have a good life on $2,000 a month.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Checkout these two sites;

www.amcostarica.com (english speaking online blog about CR)
www.ticotimes.net (english speaking newspaper in CR)
Old Sep 29th 2010, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

labus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant future

So the locals earn about $500 a month but the cost of living modestly is around $2500?
I've been to CR and it's a poor country with a little to offer. Monthly expenses of $2000-3000 seem exagerated. It seems cheaper to live in USA. Something is not right.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

labus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant future

I've seen very nice 3 bedroom houses and appartments in Santa Ana, 3 of them and they were between $104,000 and $150,000. How would rent be $800-1200? Maybe for uninformed foreigners only.