Just Joined

Elingles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Costa Rica

Hi, anyone living in Ticolandia, need advice
Old May 14th 2008, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

GregII is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Costa Rica

Yo! HAHAHA! I've been there once. Good "town".

Greg.

Last edited by GregII; May 14th 2008 at 5:50 pm.
Old May 14th 2008, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Elingles is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Costa Rica

Greg when you say good town what do you mean? ticolandia means the whole country of Costa Rica, which town?
Old May 14th 2008, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

GregII is an unknown quantity at this point

I know! HAHAHA! Sorry about that! It was a joke. Just a little of sarcasm to relax.

Greg.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

suncr is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Costa Rica

Hi everyone.
I've just joined the forum.
I've lived in Costa Rica for just over 29 years.
I'm a resident here.
I've been back to England quite a few times. Each time it gets harder to leave.
I was there this july for 17 days. It was the hardest thing to leave.
My Parents are 88 years old, and their time is short. It's difficult to have to wait another year to see them, and I could receive "that phone call" any time.

I've been having the "home sick blues", and if I could I'd return to UK, in a flash. It's too late for me now, I'm 56. The years have flown by, Nevertheless,
I still think of the UK as my home.

If anyone would like to exchange comments, I'm here.

Thanks
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suncr
Hi everyone.
I've just joined the forum.
I've lived in Costa Rica for just over 29 years.
I'm a resident here.
I've been back to England quite a few times. Each time it gets harder to leave.
I was there this july for 17 days. It was the hardest thing to leave.
My Parents are 88 years old, and their time is short. It's difficult to have to wait another year to see them, and I could receive "that phone call" any time.

I've been having the "home sick blues", and if I could I'd return to UK, in a flash. It's too late for me now, I'm 56. The years have flown by, Nevertheless,
I still think of the UK as my home.

If anyone would like to exchange comments, I'm here.

Thanks
56? My husband was about that age when we married.. he started a whole new life <g>.

Never too late, my friend.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Your husband returned to England at the age of 56?

How did he get started again?

Did he get a job?

I'm more worried about life after retirement. I don't think I would get much of a pension. I do have 10 years of work in England before I left in 1979.

I would be interested in knowing the above.

Thanks for writing.

suncr
Old Aug 6th 2008, 5:49 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suncr
Your husband returned to England at the age of 56?

How did he get started again?

Did he get a job?

I'm more worried about life after retirement. I don't think I would get much of a pension. I do have 10 years of work in England before I left in 1979.

I would be interested in knowing the above.

Thanks for writing.

suncr
He left England in his early 40s actually, and moved to Greece (early retirement). We met & married there eventually, and ultimately moved to the US, where he had only visited once.
He hasn't taken a j o b (dirty word around here) but we manage to generate some income. That said, he did do his 20+ years on the j o b in the UK and does receive a small pension income.

You might spend some time reading around the forum here called Moving Back to the UK; maybe you'll find some inspiration?

What have you been doing in CR all these years? I haven't been back since the mid 90s or so.. I hear it's changed a bit.
What sort of state retirement does CR have.. I know it's become a very popular retirement destination for Americans, but hadn't thought about it the other way 'round.

Last edited by meauxna; Aug 6th 2008 at 7:16 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

I came to CR in 1979, Worked with a few Computer companies, and then in 1986 I started my own company. I worked in computer repair and then into Laser/ink cartridge remunufactering.

In 2005, I went through a very dirty divorce and as a result of that I had to look for a new job. I'm working for Hp here in one of their Call Centers.

There is a National Pension scheme here, but it's not going to be enough to sustain me after I retire, and you have to have a min. of 462 monthly quotas, that's around 38 1/2 years of contributions.

If you want to retire here, and you have money or a Pension of say $2,000 plus, per month, then you can have a very good life. It's become very much like the U.S. It's allot easier to retire here than to work here. The Colon has just devalued again, and now it's around ยข556 to $1. Gasoline is about $1.30 a liter.

With only 10 years of contributions in U.K. I will get about $200 a month from the U.K. pension, and probably around the same from CR. Not good.

Thanks for writing.

suncr
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

fsmith80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Costa Rica

Cheers everyone,

Recently moved to Costa Rica a few months ago (I was here in 2004 but decided to return now). This is my very first post so, hello to all. Can any of the more seasoned expats provide help with a job or job leads? Looking to work in HP call center if possible. Having trouble with residency and work permit as well. If anyone is ever around Ciudad Colon, look me up. I will buy you an Imperial!
Old Sep 30th 2008, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Costa Rica/Job

I am "Very" familiar with HP.

Let me say straight away, if you do not have residence in CR, you cannot legally work. Hp will only employ you if your documents are in order and you have a work permit.

The other alternative is to start your own company and work within that.

It took allot of effort to get my documents together and that was along time ago. Today it is more difficult.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Imperial

By the way, I guess you owe me an Imperial. I could probably throw a stone at you from where I live. Same Town !!!!!
Old Sep 30th 2008, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

fsmith80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha, LOL, I guess I do owe . Hey we will have to meet up at Oscars soon so we can chat. I am living in Las Palmas now. Do you know of any place (call center/sports betting) that I could work in while I am waiting for my residency status to change (will take anywhere from 4-6 months) who will understand my situation.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: work Permit

As I said, without a work permit, you cannot "Legaly" work.
You may find a company that will "understand" your situation, but they are really tough on companies that employ ilegal workers. There's plenty of Sportbook companies around.
My suggestion is to get your documents in order, and then apply.
Just because you get residency, does not automatically allow you to work.
If you can get a social security number then you're home free. Just as in the U.S.
Good luck, and where is Oscar's??
How about La Choza de Johel??? That's real close to me.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 5:32 pm

Default Re: work Permit

hola again, suncr..

I've been following the thread because I get a reminder when someone else posts so I just thought I'd add a little something here..

The US Social Security number doesn't give anyone permission to work (although only people *with* permission to work are supposed to get one in in the first place now).

Sure wish I could drop in for a beer with you guys... (travel withdrawal here )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.