Considering a move to Mexico

Old Apr 26th 2010, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

yellow281 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering a move to Mexico

I'm British and my partner is American. We are currently based in Vancouver but shes becoming less and less enamoured with being here. We're planning to slow down for the next couple of years while we start a family and are eyeing South of the border, specifically the Cabo San Lucas area or San Miguel De Allende. We both work remotely so can live just about anywhere.

I am wondering if we are nuts because my whole family live back in the UK and who better to be around when having a baby. However, I left the UK a number of years ago and each time I go back, while loving being back with my family, I cannot wait to leave again as I don't miss certain things about England including the weather and some aspects of our culture there these days.

So I guess I am hoping someone could give me some insight on life in Mexico in those regions. While our cost of living will be less than Vancouver, will we feel isolated and lonely?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Considering a move to Mexico

You certainly won't feel isolated or lonely in a place like San Miguel - as it has a thriving American retiree community. There are also many places around Lake Chappala with similar islands of gringoism. Cabo San Lucas is the arse-end of nowhere...at least in San Miguel you are within reasonable driving distance of large urban centers.

Yes, the cost of living is cheaper here and if you can work remotely (and be handsomely paid) then I say go for it. But try and live either close by a bigger city (like Monterrey or Guadalajara), where there are more chances of meeting other expats and finding the kinds of creature comforts you may be used to.

Remember - Mexico is still a developing nation. If your ideal is rural isolation then be careful. It might seem all very nice and tranquil to live out in the sticks but you may find ineffective or non-existent infrastructure, non-existent medical care, absolutely no English spoken (how's your Spanish BTW?) and, especially important if you want to start a family, nothing that would give your offspring a good start in life (viz: nurseries, schools etc).
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellow281
I'm British and my partner is American. We are currently based in Vancouver but shes becoming less and less enamoured with being here. We're planning to slow down for the next couple of years while we start a family and are eyeing South of the border, specifically the Cabo San Lucas area or San Miguel De Allende. We both work remotely so can live just about anywhere.

I am wondering if we are nuts because my whole family live back in the UK and who better to be around when having a baby. However, I left the UK a number of years ago and each time I go back, while loving being back with my family, I cannot wait to leave again as I don't miss certain things about England including the weather and some aspects of our culture there these days.

So I guess I am hoping someone could give me some insight on life in Mexico in those regions. While our cost of living will be less than Vancouver, will we feel isolated and lonely?
Vancouver BC or Vancouver Washington?

I'd have to agree with Adrian about Cabo.. bleah. Our last trip down there has only the cheap airfare to LA to recommend it. We stayed in La Paz but omg the traffic! And the types of visitors? Not for me, anyway.

I've got a good buddy who is looking very hard at the Lake Chapala *region*. He's found some nice places and is very enthusiastic about the community there.

I don't know anyone currently living in San Miguel but remember that it is a long road trip to get there (or an expensive flight into the closer airport) and it's expensive. (IMO)

How hard will it be to get a residency visa?
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,

Doh, I hadn't realized this thread got responses until now! Firstly, yes Vancouver, BC which is a magnificent and expensive city. We've been in Van for three years and it really is something else but we're getting itchy feet. That being said, we did apply for a spousal visa for me here in May and now we wait.. and wait... and wait.. and are landlocked while we wait.. and wait.. and wait..

The plan is to head South should we be declined in Canada which our attorney feels is unlikely but who knows! And San Miguel will almost certainly be our destination of choice. My only reservation about SM is that it isn't on the ocean as we are both coastal people - however, it seems beautiful otherwise.

In terms of our Spanish.. I speak Italian and my partner speaks a good amount of Spanish but no.. neither of us are anywhere near fluent.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Doh, I hadn't realized this thread got responses until now! Firstly, yes Vancouver, BC which is a magnificent and expensive city. We've been in Van for three years and it really is something else but we're getting itchy feet. That being said, we did apply for a spousal visa for me here in May and now we wait.. and wait... and wait.. and are landlocked while we wait.. and wait.. and wait..

The plan is to head South should we be declined in Canada which our attorney feels is unlikely but who knows!
You will probably need some kind of visa/permit to live in Mexico.

Canadian status ... is one of you a Canadian citizen or permanent resident?
Old Jul 12th 2010, 3:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Visa visa visa, it's always about the visa.

Go to San Miguel for a visit for a month. It's easy & common to rent an apartment there that's all kitted out, and hit the streets & talk with the other gringos. You may find the expat locals to be too old for you, or you might want to go check out Guadelara as suggested. Many of the Sn Miguel people go to the coast for part of the year and stay over near Vallarta.

But for staying legitimately, it's all about the visa.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Well I assume we'll do the FM3 thing after determining if we want to put down roots for a few years there. Neither of us will be working in Mexico so that seems the way to go.

Its funny you mentioned the age of the ex pats in SMA, I am a little concerned about that. But I figure there are so many restaurants and businesses there that there has to be a bunch of people who's age doesn't start with a 6, 7 or 8 right? Not that there is anything wrong with that but I'd like to meet people there that are similar in age to us - 30's and 40's.

I like the safety of SMA and the close community. We also have a good friend already there so theres comfort in that too.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 4:24 pm

Well I assume we'll do the FM3 thing after determining if we want to put down roots for a few years there. Neither of us will be working in Mexico so that seems the way to go.
Your first post says: We both work remotely so can live just about anywhere

IF you are working, and you are in Mexico, you may be "working in Mexico". Be careful with that; in the US for example, that can get you in trouble.

Its funny you mentioned the age of the ex pats in SMA, I am a little concerned about that. But I figure there are so many restaurants and businesses there that there has to be a bunch of people who's age doesn't start with a 6, 7 or 8 right? Not that there is anything wrong with that but I'd like to meet people there that are similar in age to us - 30's and 40's.

I like the safety of SMA and the close community. We also have a good friend already there so theres comfort in that too.
That's great you've got a connection, and on re-reading my post, that wasn't fair, about the age. There are plenty of folks in that age range starting up little businesses.. I remember a coffee roaster, a bagel place, some house renovators and the usual collection of artists, folks from all over. (I was probably poisoned by the memory of a trip with the parents )

Face it, I'm jealous. Hope you have a great time, and if I come across any resources, I'll post back to you here.