Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Rest of the World / Central, South America & Mexico

Old Mar 22nd 2018, 11:12 am   #1
Just Joined

The wanderer. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chile

Hi guys, anyone able to educate me on Chile?
I'm looking at moving there and teaching English for a year while i look at properties and see how i like it.
My plan is to buy land and open my own business.

Very broad, but any info at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks
The wanderer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 11:55 am   #2
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chile

Looks like Chile is one of the easier countries to get working visas for.
https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-immi...gration-policy

good luck!
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 1:46 pm   #3
Just Joined

Good link, thanks
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 10:28 pm   #4
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

The best advice anybody can give you is to go down and check it out in person. Don't even think of selling up and moving down without visiting first!
Gordon Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 11:50 pm   #5
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wanderer. View Post
Good link, thanks
You're welcome.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 1:01 am   #6
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wanderer. View Post
Hi guys, anyone able to educate me on Chile?
I'm looking at moving there and teaching English for a year while i look at properties and see how i like it.
My plan is to buy land and open my own business.

Very broad, but any info at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks
I’e been living in Chile for the last 20 years, so hopefully I can assist with your questions. There is generally a surplus of English teachers , hence the money is bad and as a max you’d only have 9 months of work in a year. You’d need a temporary visa to work before the schools will take you on. Land in Chile is probably far more expensive than you are imagining, and you wont be able to get any financing , as you are a foreigner and wont have any past history of income in Chile. As far as starting a business, you dont indicate in what area that would be and if you speak Spanish. I would certainly recommend you think very carefully about starting a business or even buying an existing business until you’ve been living here for some years. Chile can be a wonderful place to live, but it would be far better to be employed full time until you know how the country works. Teaching English may just about give you enough money to survive on, butylu’d need to be prepared to work from 8.00 or even earlier, until 21.00 , assuming the institute has enough students that want to take classes. If you want to send me a PM , I’ll give you my email address and you can ask me what you want.
dfjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 7:20 am   #7
Just Joined

I'm aware of the high prices on land and im in a position to buy without finance, but i wanted to spend about a year there before i bought thats why i thought i could probably teach English. I don't speak any spanish but I'm trying to learn. My partner can speak a little bit.
As for the business it's equestrian based but it's an international market and so not strictly about chile although i could also do an equine tourism business. Thanks for all the information i really appreciate it.

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Rest of the World / Central, South America & Mexico