Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Rest of the World / Central, South America & Mexico

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jun 8th 2017, 2:45 pm   #1
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 22
south londoner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cali, Colombia

Does anyone live there and how much do you need to live off?
south londoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th 2017, 3:46 pm   #2
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,285
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cali, Colombia

Quote:
Originally Posted by south londoner View Post
Does anyone live there and how much do you need to live off?
Depends on your circumstances, alone or with family ? Most parts of Colombia one can live comfortably on 800 pounds a month if one lives outside high-priced areas of cities.1300 pounds very comfortable.
morpeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th 2017, 3:49 pm   #3
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 22
south londoner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cali, Colombia

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
Depends on your circumstances, alone or with family ? Most parts of Colombia one can live comfortably on 800 pounds a month if one lives outside high-priced areas of cities.1300 pounds very comfortable.
I meant as a family with one child.
south londoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th 2017, 4:04 pm   #4
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,285
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cali, Colombia

Quote:
Originally Posted by south londoner View Post
I meant as a family with one child.
How old is child ? International school is terribly expensive, but local private school if you look carefully can be affordable. Depends on how you live, and go about finding place to live. 1200 pounds a month a family can live on well. I don't now Cali well but costs there not too different than the city I know, Medellin.
morpeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th 2017, 4:09 pm   #5
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 22
south londoner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cali, Colombia

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
How old is child ? International school is terribly expensive, but local private school if you look carefully can be affordable. Depends on how you live, and go about finding place to live. 1200 pounds a month a family can live on well. I don't now Cali well but costs there not too different than the city I know, Medellin.
10, out of interest why did you move to Colombia?
south londoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th 2017, 4:17 pm   #6
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,285
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cali, Colombia

Quote:
Originally Posted by south londoner View Post
10, out of interest why did you move to Colombia?
Colombia has many benefits compared to other Latin American countries, though I know Medellin not Cali. Medellin has wonderful weather, on a par with parts of California or southern Italy. People friendly, generally affordable cost of living, many benefits of a first world economy as well as a third world economy. Medellin has excellent and affordable medical care. Generally cities can be much safer than other countries, though further south rural areas still not that safe for a foreigner. Growing economy, relatively stable government. It is inefficient and very bureaucratic, and one has to be patient with local culture at times. Actually I don't know anyone who has moved to Medellin and has regretted it. Watch out for schools, best to find a modest middle class private school rather than international school or private school for upper class, way too expensive !
morpeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th 2017, 10:43 am   #7
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 22
south londoner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cali, Colombia

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
Colombia has many benefits compared to other Latin American countries, though I know Medellin not Cali. Medellin has wonderful weather, on a par with parts of California or southern Italy. People friendly, generally affordable cost of living, many benefits of a first world economy as well as a third world economy. Medellin has excellent and affordable medical care. Generally cities can be much safer than other countries, though further south rural areas still not that safe for a foreigner. Growing economy, relatively stable government. It is inefficient and very bureaucratic, and one has to be patient with local culture at times. Actually I don't know anyone who has moved to Medellin and has regretted it. Watch out for schools, best to find a modest middle class private school rather than international school or private school for upper class, way too expensive !
Thanks for that. I don't think I will be moving in the near future although my wife would love us to.
south londoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th 2017, 9:23 pm   #8
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,285
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cali, Colombia

Quote:
Originally Posted by south londoner View Post
Thanks for that. I don't think I will be moving in the near future although my wife would love us to.
So is your wife Colombian ?

I have been visiting Colombia for 10 years, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
morpeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:39 am   #9
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 22
south londoner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cali, Colombia

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
So is your wife Colombian ?

I have been visiting Colombia for 10 years, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Thank you, I can't think of any at the moment.
We know a few Colombians who have gone back so it could be an idea in the future.
south londoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Rest of the World / Central, South America & Mexico


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 2:08 pm.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com