British Expats in Argentina

Old Nov 5th 2010, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

maximp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Expats in Argentina

Originally Posted by steffir
Hiya everyone

We are moving to BA from Brighton in the New Year. We're heading out in two weeks to look at schools and areas to live then my husband is coming out in November until Christmas, then we'll all move together in January.

Any top tips about making the move go smoothly would be much appreciated, and any need to know info about Argentina and the culture so we don't make any gaffe's would be helpful too!
Well, it seems that we were neighbours here (Brighton) and We will be neighbours there!!! (well, at least in the same city). I am Argentinian, but I have been living in Brighton (Bedford Square) in the last four years. We (me and my wife) will be arriving to Buenos Aires in December. If you need some help, you can contact me.

Cheers

Max
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

steffir is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Max

How funny, my friend used to live in Bedford Square, we currently live in Withdean near the stadium.

We're just packing everything up now as we leave on the 23rd, we'll be living in Martinez in BA, very excited but slightly scared too.

Thanks for your offer of help, i may just take you up on that. Hope your move goes well too!

Steff
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

simplyundecided is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Michelle,

I have read your posts and see you are quite happy living in Argentina, I was hoping perhaps you could give me some advice. I am from London and have met a wonderful Argentinian man and we wish to marry, the problem being we have fallen on hard times in Spain firstly because he had a heart attack and now the crisis, and although he wishes to return to Argentina now after 15yrs away we dont know where to begin,.... having minimal savings left. The added problem is our age, being in our early 50s although we still feel young and adventurous i am worried about growing old in a country i know little about, what is the country like for state pensions etc...... any advise you could offer would be much appreciated.
I have too many fears and not enough answers.....

many thanks Sonia:
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

elhombresinnombre is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simplyundecided
HI Michelle,

I have read your posts and see you are quite happy living in Argentina, I was hoping perhaps you could give me some advice. I am from London and have met a wonderful Argentinian man and we wish to marry, the problem being we have fallen on hard times in Spain firstly because he had a heart attack and now the crisis, and although he wishes to return to Argentina now after 15yrs away we dont know where to begin,.... having minimal savings left. The added problem is our age, being in our early 50s although we still feel young and adventurous i am worried about growing old in a country i know little about, what is the country like for state pensions etc...... any advise you could offer would be much appreciated.
I have too many fears and not enough answers.....

many thanks Sonia:
I am not Michelle but may I pitch in with a few comments? First, this really is a huge and complicated question with no single correct answer - it's what works for you that counts. So here I go...

Hard times in Spain, in the UK and also in Argentina - especially for the 'middle classes' in Argentina (that includes you and I) who are being squeezed by high inflation and a populist government ruling by presidential decree because they intend to win the election this year. So don't move for economic reasons. On the other hand, Argentine families survive these sorts of crisies by the way they bond together and support each other: your man may be much better off 'at home' but the flipside is that you might end up feeling left out by the intensity of their family bond. How are things with your family in the UK? I'm not sure how Argentine state pensions would affect you but the UK state pension would be paid to you in full when you reach retirement age if you have 30 years of NI contributions by that time but there's no agreement with Argentina to uprate it year by year. If you are married to an Argentine citizen it's very easy to become a permanent resident.

I suggest you both do a lot more research and hopefully make a short visit to see what it's all like for yourselves. In the meantime, try reading more specific expat blogs for Argentina and Buenos Aires, reading La Nacion and Clarin on the web and watching tn.com.ar to find out more about life (but bear in mind that while TN is the easiest news channel to stream from abroad, their news is non-stop adrenalin-fueled panic! It's not quite as bad as all that!) Good luck. I hope you come to a decision that works for both of you.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your reply ELHOMBRESINNOMBRE, we did stay for a year in Buenos Aires and returned to spain last autumn.. so i have a good idea what to expect from the lifestyle,,,, which I might add is much better then Europe. But now the talk of making a future there is very daunting, simply because nobody can forsee what can happen as we grow older.....

I presume you are aware that the system in England does provide a certain amount of security for everyone which ever circumstances they find themselves, but can the same be said of Argentina ??
and we are to be married, so would that make a difference to my status in the country.

saludos
Sonia
Old Apr 19th 2011, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simplyundecided
Thank you so much for your reply ELHOMBRESINNOMBRE, we did stay for a year in Buenos Aires and returned to spain last autumn.. so i have a good idea what to expect from the lifestyle,,,, which I might add is much better then Europe. But now the talk of making a future there is very daunting, simply because nobody can forsee what can happen as we grow older.....

I presume you are aware that the system in England does provide a certain amount of security for everyone which ever circumstances they find themselves, but can the same be said of Argentina ??
and we are to be married, so would that make a difference to my status in the country.

saludos
Sonia
I agree with you about the lifestyle - I am much happier in Argentina than in England but even during the period since you left, prices have spiralled and are more expensive than some parts of Europe. I mention this only because you mentioned your savings earlier.

It's not quite true what you say about the safety-net in the UK: if you are a returning British subject who has been away for a long time you need to demonstrate an 'intention to remain' to access the NHS and benefits system and things would be very strict about your partner/husband - you need to look this up. I have no idea about benefits or pensions, if any, should you become a legal resident of Argentina and/or married to an Argentine. My future is predicated on providing my own. You probably need to discuss this sort of matter with native Argentines -especially perhaps an Argentine lawyer. You'll find these in locally based discussion groups, including one that I regularly contribute to (which you will easily find by typing Buenos Aires and my nickname into Google).
Old Apr 20th 2011, 11:58 am
Just Joined

el rubio is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi simplyundecided.

I'm not Michelle either but I share your age range and sense of adventure.

I am a Brit with Argentine wife and we have had one foot in BA for the past 28 years.

There are so many things to weigh up when making this kind of decision: my advice is to prioritise, keep your options open as much as possible, and think hard about what you want from life.

Some things are the same the world over and I for one am not making any plans around state benefits or services either here or there. Anything that I may get will simply be viewed as pocket money. From what I see in Argentina, anyone relying solely on these has a very basic existence indeed. It can be better in the UK so long as you have made the necessary national insurance contributions.

Health services are important to us and this can become a big issue as one ages. The PAMI service (for those in receipt of a state pension) seems very basic and I'd recommend you budget for a private service, as have we. It costs about AR$1200 per month currently for the four of us, which is bearable, but we joined in good health and you may have difficulty or restrictions imposed with a pre-existing condition.

Good luck with the decision-making.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Thank you you both so much,,, for taking the time to reply to my message.

Your comments are much appreciated, and is what i expected to he honest, because is similar in Spain.

If anyone else has further advice, I would appreciate that also.

many thanks
Old May 10th 2011, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Skypilot84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Buenos dias,

Just to introduce myself as fellow Brit who has made the move to Argentina.

I arrived last week, and I am getting settled in Buenos Aires. Any advice or suggestions for a newcomer to Argentina welcomed!
Old May 16th 2011, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Skypilot84
Buenos dias,

Just to introduce myself as fellow Brit who has made the move to Argentina.

I arrived last week, and I am getting settled in Buenos Aires. Any advice or suggestions for a newcomer to Argentina welcomed!
Here is something that may encourage you:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...e-to-live.html
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Bodenis is an unknown quantity at this point

Greetings
I'm a french canadian married to an "expat" living in Québec City.
We are planning our next winter holiday and would like to spend about 3 months in BA. My wife travel with a british passport and a canadian
landed emigrant status card. She also has a good basic knowledge of spannish. On a delicate matter she is a bit worried
about the "political" between England and Argentina, What is
life for brits in BA,
Thanking you
Denis
Sorry about mistakes, french is my first language
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 10:20 am
Just Joined

el rubio is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in BA all the way through the armed conflict in 1982 and had no trouble at all on a personal level. In fact the locals that I came across were conscious that I might feel uncomfortable and always made me welcome.

I have had far more trouble over the Maradona 'hand of God' incident in the 1986 World Cup than anything else.

The Falklands issue does come to the surface from time to time in political and public debate but it has never in my experience translated into animosity towards individuals. So long as you don't go and drape the union flag over a memorial to the Malvinas fallen you'll be fine.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

I was not in Argentina in the eighties but I agree with everything el rubio says about the present day. Obviously there are occasions when factions try to inflame feelings over Las Malvinas and when war veterans might occupy the Plaza de Mayo in a pension dispute or somesuch but these are widely publicised and easily avoided.

Bodenis: feelings over your southern neighbours blow hot and cold in Argentina but Canadians are always regarded with great affection. Affectionate or not, you'll still have to pay the reciprocal entrance fee upon arrival but if your wife is using her British passport, she will not.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Bodenis is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info, my wife feels better.....will get first hand infos , my nefew will represent the Québec province and Canada on the Tango Buenos Aires Festival y Mondial with his group Que Tango, he will be playing August the 19th.
More infos abaout BA are welcome
Old Aug 19th 2011, 12:24 am
Just Joined

britanica is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.
I'm new here and would like to introduce myself. I'm a female, already fluent in Spanish, and I've lived 1 yr in Baires (in 2006) with weekends in Pinamar. This time I'm considering moving to Mar del Plata. I'd like to hear from anyone- particularly from Michelle who apparently lives there.

How is life there, does it feel too touristy? Are winters really chilly or bearable without home heating? I'm wondering about retirement there. I read about the rising inflation. Wondering how many pesos are needed now for rent and groceries per month (1 person)?

In fact, I'd like to know about the pensionado visa and its requirements, any reference?

Muchas gracias.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.