Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Central, South America & Mexico
Reload this Page >

Boarding Houses / Pensiones in Buenos Aires

Boarding Houses / Pensiones in Buenos Aires

Old Nov 19th 2010, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

alexcraig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Boarding Houses / Pensiones in Buenos Aires

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and forums in general until yesterday, so please excuse any faux pas of errors in etiquette I may make!

I am planning to uproot my life in London in about 12 months time and go to Buenos Aires, but only for a year or so. I do not want to get involved with trying to rent apartments, as I can only imagine how difficult that would be for an extranjero with no guarantor. What I am looking for is low-cost no-frils accommodation, ideally with full-board and very basic facilities that can meet my very basic needs. Somebody on another forum mentioned pensiones to me. I can imagine what these are like, and they sound ideal for me.

I am not planning to work in BA, I am coming to work of something of my own that requires only minimal living costs and a relatively high level of social isolation and anonymity, right in the middle of the city.

Thank you to anybody who even reads this, that alone will have been some help.

Best,

Alexander
Old Nov 21st 2010, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

geoffreybrooks is just really nicegeoffreybrooks is just really nicegeoffreybrooks is just really nicegeoffreybrooks is just really nicegeoffreybrooks is just really nicegeoffreybrooks is just really nicegeoffreybrooks is just really nicegeoffreybrooks is just really nice
Default Re: Boarding Houses / Pensiones in Buenos Aires

I live in an hospedaje in Boedo district about thirty minutes from the city centre by Subte.

It is a two-storey colonial-type building in an off-street with 20 rooms, a terraza for drying clothes, two common kitchens, wash room, four WCs. Light, gas and water are included in the rent. Cable TV costs 50 pesos monthly.

I have a tiny room for which I pay 600 pesos per month (100 pounds), I have been in this room for seven years working on translations with UK publishers. The largest room in the hotel costs 1500 pesos and has its own shower/WC.

Any questions just ask.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by geoffreybrooks
I live in an hospedaje in Boedo district about thirty minutes from the city centre by Subte.

It is a two-storey colonial-type building in an off-street with 20 rooms, a terraza for drying clothes, two common kitchens, wash room, four WCs. Light, gas and water are included in the rent. Cable TV costs 50 pesos monthly.

I have a tiny room for which I pay 600 pesos per month (100 pounds), I have been in this room for seven years working on translations with UK publishers. The largest room in the hotel costs 1500 pesos and has its own shower/WC.

Any questions just ask.
Hey,

Thank you for your reply. That sounds a lot like what I am looking for, only a little further out of the hubbub of the city centre. Do you happen to know of anything similar, but with full-board-type meals included, and maybe slightly more central? I don't know if what I am looking for even exists, so any further guidance would be so greatly appreciated.

Best.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

geoffreybrooks is just really nicegeoffreybrooks is just really nicegeoffreybrooks is just really nicegeoffreybrooks is just really nicegeoffreybrooks is just really nicegeoffreybrooks is just really nicegeoffreybrooks is just really nicegeoffreybrooks is just really nice

I should be surprised if any boarding house/hospedaje offers full board, or even breakfast. A hotel might, but then you would be defeating the purpose of your cheap stay. Is there a particular place in the city centre where you want to be? The closer in you get the worse your opportunities of finding what you want.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by geoffreybrooks
I should be surprised if any boarding house/hospedaje offers full board, or even breakfast. A hotel might, but then you would be defeating the purpose of your cheap stay. Is there a particular place in the city centre where you want to be? The closer in you get the worse your opportunities of finding what you want.
hey,

I'm not looking to stay anywhere in particular, the type of place I'm looking for is more important really. If you know of anything a little further out, I'd definitely be all ears.

Somebody on another forum mentioned staying with a house mother. I have done this in the past in Quito, and it was great then. I have been thinking that perhaps this might be an option worth considering and any ideas/info on this would be a great help.

Cheers!