Anyone in Argentina?

Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

MichelleAlison is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone in Argentina?

Originally Posted by Bonmec
That is outside of my budget but will be curious to see what you can get for that amount.
Took some photos yesterday and will try and post them later.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Hi Bonmec, just had a lesson on how to upload photos from SD card to Photobucket and then to this forum. Great fun - hope you like the photos!

Front of house

Old Sep 27th 2008, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Back of house

Old Sep 27th 2008, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Back of cottage and quincho (covered barbecue room)

Old Oct 26th 2008, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Frankarg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by santelmo
Hey everyone. I'm from Liverpool and have been living in Buenos Aires for the last few months. I have a girlfriend here and would like to build a life here. I graduated last year with a Spanish and Politics degree....so this place gives me a great opportunity to finally perfect my spanish too Basically the problem I am having is work. I try all the sites like craigslist etc but the only jobs I can seem to secure are for 'cold call' or dodgy financial 'brokers'. There just doesn't seem to be anything else out there. I really love this country and would like to build a life here, but to do that I need a job which motivates me, challenges me and one in which there are genuine prospects to advance. Travel or relocation within Latin America also wouldn't be a problem. Money is not an issue as I still run my online business from here (its not time consuming at all).... I just need good fulfilling work!! Can anyone offer any advice or even better point me in the right direction for work? I've already tried the embassy (I had an interview in December) but they seem to prefer to hire Argentinians with fluent english skills. An unpaid internship would be great too, as long as it gave me good experience and possible future paid opportunities. Like I said, any help would be most appreciated! Mark
Hi Mark,

am reading this blog of yours quite a few months on from it and would love to know how you got on.... we seem to have a few things in common. I also have an Argentine girlfriend and want to make my life there. To be honest I just Argentina too. Im finishing a degree in Spanish and Portuguese and am also looking for work in BA. Any advice you or indeed anyone else can offer would be much appreciated, I'm also learning that it's not that easy.
Frank
Old Feb 14th 2009, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Porteno is an unknown quantity at this point

According to some rather old embassy figures, there were some 17,000 Brit expats here in Argentina in the early 80s. Anglo-Argentines (descendants from earlier British 'colonialization') run into the millions and are to be found all over the country. Personally, I avoid the expat community like the plague. My experience in Brazil showed the majority of them to be insufferable snobs, especially those on short-term contracts living a life-style they could never hope to attain in the UK and acting as if they had always had like that.

Both here and in Brazil, I preferred to integrate into the local community. If I wanted to spend all my time with expats then why would I have left the UK in the first place? If I get nostalgic and want to listen to the sound of English (not the Hollywood version) I can always turn on BBCWorld or watch 'Inspector Morse' or 'Lewis' on the TV.

As a matter of interest, I can't seem to get a smiley on here. -)
Old Jul 17th 2009, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

blue skies again....yey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

At last I was really excited and pleased to see some pleasant exchanges between grown up's and British people in Argentina.

I've been using the BA expats site but it was getting silly, I haven't known so much squabbling and pettiness since I was at primary school...what a way to carry on!

Anyway, I noticed that a lot of the posts here are quite old. So is there anyone out there now.

I'm in BA at the moment setting things up but would like to move over closer to the Andes. I like the south but would prefer to be somewhere a little warmer in winter. Maybe around Mendoza/Uspallata area.

Is there anyone out there?

Regards
Richard, Sarah and soon a new arrival

Last edited by blue skies again....yey; Jul 17th 2009 at 6:49 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 6:31 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blue skies again....yey
Hello

At last I was really excited and pleased to see some pleasant exchanges between grown up's and British people in Argentina.

I've been using the BA expats site but it was getting silly, I haven't known so much squabbling and pettiness since I was at primary school...what a way to carry on!

Anyway, I noticed that a lot of the posts here are quite old. So is there anyone out there now.

I'm in BA at the moment setting things up but would like to move over closer to the Andes. I lie the south but would prefer to be somewhere a little warmer in winter. Maybe around Mendoza/Uspallata area.

Is there anyone out there?

Regards
Richard, Sarah and soon a new arrival
Hi you three(ish) and welcome to the forum
Old Jul 18th 2009, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Richard and Sarah,

Sean is an expert when it comes to Mendoza. He is on all the Argentine forums. (SNIP)

Regards

Michelle

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jul 19th 2009 at 10:23 am. Reason: Sorry, no commercial links
Old Aug 16th 2009, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

marlin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by expatabroad78
Hola Amigos,

If there are any british expats in Arg I'd love to know as I'm sure there must be some hiding somewhere.

I have heard there is a strong German & Swiss community in the south but I'd like to know if there are any Brits here, specifically in the NOA region.

Hasta Luego xx
hi there we are an early retired couple living in entre rios area been here a three years nearly its great apart from a few odd things and are the only brits around here be good to chat some time to see how you are liking it choe
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Hi Marlin,

We are Londoners living in Mar del Plata and have also been here nearly three years. Like you say, there are some very irritating things, but the good things outweigh the bad things.

We are a very small ex-pat community, two British families, a few American families and a few others that I know about. There might be more, but as we don't meet up, it is difficult to say how many exactly. Most ex-pats here integrate into society.

How did you end up in Entre Rios? Not the normal ex-pat city.

We should start a new thread called "Brits keeping in touch in Argentina"

Regards

Michelle
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: Anyone in Argentina?

Hi michelle nice to get a reply so soon .We ended up here because my son married a girl from this area and we came over a few times and loved it so we decided to sell our business and our house and move here my sons inlaws helped with finding a house etc so here we are,in a great house with a pool on an acre about 600 yds from the river its great .We brought everything with us ,2x40ft containers,alot of stuff including my very old car. but the furniture fits better here than in the other house in england.We come from Ascot in berkshire but originaly from: Hayes in middx before we got married 36 yrs ago so no we are not a couple of toffs. the weather in this area is fantastic even in the winterits quite a bit warmer than Bain the winter but fresher in the summer as you cantell i am abit of a sun person.Any way i go on. Try Green Hills tea bags or with out the bag its good tea tastes like real thing and believe me i drink a lot of tea any way speak soon maybe on msn or skype by for now. marlin
Old Aug 17th 2009, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Marlin,

I sent you a pm with my contact details. Let's keep in touch.

Michelle

PS We still have teabags sent or brought over - we just received 240 PG Tips from my British friend in Bs As who just visited the UK. Can't cope without a proper cuppa!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by MichelleAlison; Aug 17th 2009 at 11:19 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:55 am
Just Joined

IberianExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Might be the wrong place to ask, but here goes;

my son will be visiting Buenos Aires for a few months, as a backpacker/tourist. As far as I can tell from the Argentine embassy website, he doesn't need a visa (with British / Australian passports), for a "tourist stay". I am less sure about what he can bring in to the country without having to pay import duties/taxes; specifically a laptop (recently bought, all receipts available). I'm also wondering about electrical outlets in Argentina. He has british and spanish plugs, but we wondered what adapters he may need?

Many thanks,

Richard.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Hi Richard your son will need some english to spanish adapters they are two piin probably find them in any decent electical store or at the airport .He wont need to pay any taxes on his laptop if its not boxed and he has been using it. hope this is of some use. when is he coming over ? i am sure he will love it here , its very hot at the mo and we are only just into spring 35 today and tell him to only use radio cabs its writen on the cab the others can be abit dodgy bye for now may speak again soon . Martin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.