Anyone in Argentina?

Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

MichelleAlison is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Anyone in Argentina?

Originally Posted by santelmo
Hi Michelle,

I really appreciate your reply. I would love to invest but as a 23 year old graduate thats just not an option!!! I'd love to write something for you though, something about the postal system springs to mind, its absolutely horrendous, i've been waiting for PG Tips for 5 weeks, not to mention other things from the states! As soon as I get chance i'll send something through. Keep me posted though if you ever need any staff! Cheers
Hi Mark,

My cousin sent me 440 Typhoo teabags and they took two weeks to arrive, so I really can't complain. I also sent some papers to my sister in London by normal post and they arrived within 8 days - maybe it was just luck...........

We had a supply of teabags for a year, but when we run out, we were all having withdrawal symptons. There is a company where you can buy British goods online, but the postage is horrendous www.britsuperstore.com. It was cheaper for my cousin to send the teabags, then go through this company. I now drink lemon tea - the teabags here are ideal as they are so weak. According to my daughter drinking lemon tea is a good way to lose weight

If you fancy a weekend in Mar del Plata, please let me know as I have two nice apartments overlooking the sea. I have just come back from the beach and heard that it is 29 degrees today - a bit hotter than the UK

Keep in touch

Michelle
Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

santelmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone in Argentina?

OK that sounds good Michelle, cheers. How much for next Friday and Saturday night?

Thx

Mark
Old Jun 7th 2008, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Anyone in Argentina?

Hi Mark,

Just checking through all my forums and thought I would pop in and see how you are doing. How's BA? Mar del Plata is as lovely as ever. Don't forget if you want a few days away, look us up.

Regards

Michelle
Old Jun 26th 2008, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

topturn is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there , i am Tony and i have just stumbled on this site and must say i wish i'd found it earlier . The reason being ,that i moved to BA in march last year ,but after 5 months returned back to uk .I am english and my wife and twins are argentinean ,my wife had been living in spain for 5 years when we met and she was getting pressure off her family to return to argentina , so we did it.Our idea was to go to mar del plata and settle there ,but we ended up in the city and lost sight of our original aims . however now we find ourselves back in the uk ,although cornwall where we are living is great ,we still wonder how different thing might have been IF we had stuck at it ,we love mar del plata . My wife spent a massive amount of her life there and i have been on a number of occasions, it is really nice .I know how life is in argentina ,its totally different to the uk in a lot of ways , but we are still really thinking of going for it again . Any advice about mar del plata would be welcome ,cheers Tony and LU
Old Jun 26th 2008, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Anyone in Argentina?

Hola Tony y familia,

What a shame you didn't make it down to Mar del Plata last year. What made you go back to the UK?

I am also married to an Argentine, so that is how we ended up here. My three teenagers are all London born and bred like myself. We had always talked about moving abroad and when we decided on Argentina, I was very lucky because all my kids wanted to come and they really love it here. We wouldn't even think about returning to the UK.

You say you have twins, were they born in Argentina?

Obviously for Europeans, Argentina is cheap, even with inflation, but of course, if you have to earn an Argentine salary things are very different. For us, the properties are still very cheap and you can buy a wonderful 5 bed/4 bathroom house with all the extras for around 100,000 UK pounds in a very nice area in Mar del Plata. You can still get a small apartment for around 20,000 UK pounds. Although the property prices are dropping in the UK, I don't think they will drop to these values.

It seems that most things are much cheaper in Mar del Plata than Buenos Aires, which is why more and more people are coming here to live. Apparently there are 680,000 permanent inhabitants and rising. Although the life is quiet, for us it is great. For sports enthusiasts there is everything available from swimming, diving, surfing you name it, it is here. We have many places to eat and drink and the cafe scene is very big. Walking along the sea on the weekend is also another favourite pastime.

Please feel free to ask me more specific questions.

Saludos de Mar del Plata

Michelle
Old Sep 24th 2008, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Bonmec is an unknown quantity at this point

Just curious. Would running a Guest house be a lucrative option anywhere in Argentina?
Old Sep 24th 2008, 9:53 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonmec
Just curious. Would running a Guest house be a lucrative option anywhere in Argentina?
Any foreigner going to live in South America Spanish speaking or not really needs to think about opening a business there as wages and working conditions are so poor. A guest house is a good idea but requires a large investment.

Also could try working as English teacher as they are always in demand there.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks Jules

What capital investement do you think is required to build a fairy descent 6 or 7 bedrooms place?
also what sorts of charges are applied there? Any easy for foreigners to run a business?
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:37 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jules

What capital investement do you think is required to build a fairy descent 6 or 7 bedrooms place?
also what sorts of charges are applied there? Any easy for foreigners to run a business?
Know Latin America reasonably well but as of yet have never been to Argentina, so couldn`t tell you about property prices there and what you would need to spend.

Think you will find most Latin American countries are very keen on investors and is one of the easiest ways to get residency as well. Most foreigners that I know of that live in Latin America normally have invested in some type of business whether it be an internet cafe, import export business, estate agents etc Yep there is a lot of paperwork but that is to be expected in any latin country

I imagine a guest house would be good because the amount of North Americans that travel there has never been higher so a good and recommended guest house could be a lucrative business idea.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Buenos Aires is now saturated with B&B and boutique hotels, but here in Mar del Plata, there are no boutique hotels. In fact, I was looking at a property the other day with a boutique hotel in mind and just two blocks from the sea. Mar del Plata needs something different.

The house is in its own grounds, one major suite, three further bedrooms and bathrooms ensuite, a full loft room with bathroom and kitchen, the biggest kitchen and diner, separate diner, lounge and the hall is more like a room than entrance. There is also a separate staff cottage of three rooms and a quincho (covered barbeque room). The whole house is surrounded by greenery with space for a small pool, sun decking, jacuzzi etc. Many original features have been left as the house is very old with high ceilings.

The owner has been renovating the house on his own for years and is probably only halfway finished, as he works alone. With the right set of workmen it can be finished in a few months.

The asking price is US$600,000 finished, but in the condition it is in, I reckon it is worth about US$400,000!

If anybody is interested, I can take photos as the house is only four blocks from my home.

Regards

Michelle
Old Sep 25th 2008, 11:25 am
Just Joined

That is outside of my budget but will be curious to see what you can get for that amount.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 11:31 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

That is outside of my budget but will be curious to see what you can get for that amount.
It looks very expensive for Latin America and also remeber its not in a big city, its probably impressive though but still expensive.

I imagine you could find something that was smaller and also a lot cheaper as well.

Remember these places have huge mark ups if they know a foreigner could be interested.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Prices in Argentina are booming at the moment. When we first arrived here two years ago, you could find yourself a studio apartment downtown for around US$20,000 and even less. Now you won't find anything for much less than US$35,000.

The property I was talking about is an unusual property. It is a huge old villa set in its own grounds in the most exclusive part of Mar del Plata. Believe it or not, there are a handful of properties on the market for somewhere between US$600-750,000. The average house price here, in a desirable area, is about US$150-200,000, although you can pick-up some big wrecks for a lot less and in less desirable areas.

In comparison to Europe, South America is still a bargain and you get a lot for your money.

Michelle
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:34 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by MichelleAlison
Prices in Argentina are booming at the moment. When we first arrived here two years ago, you could find yourself a studio apartment downtown for around US$20,000 and even less. Now you won't find anything for much less than US$35,000.

The property I was talking about is an unusual property. It is a huge old villa set in its own grounds in the most exclusive part of Mar del Plata. Believe it or not, there are a handful of properties on the market for somewhere between US$600-750,000. The average house price here, in a desirable area, is about US$150-200,000, although you can pick-up some big wrecks for a lot less and in less desirable areas.

In comparison to Europe, South America is still a bargain and you get a lot for your money.

Michelle
35.000 USD for Buenos Aires is certainly cheap for a downtown area of a capital city.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
35.000 USD for Buenos Aires is certainly cheap for a downtown area of a capital city.
Hi Jules,

The prices I have quoted are for Mar del Plata, NOT Buenos Aires.

Michelle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.