Anyone in Argentina?

Old Jun 6th 2007, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

expatabroad78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone in Argentina?

Hola Amigos,

If there are any british expats in Arg I'd love to know as I'm sure there must be some hiding somewhere.

I have heard there is a strong German & Swiss community in the south but I'd like to know if there are any Brits here, specifically in the NOA region.

Hasta Luego xx
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

MichelleAlison is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone in Argentina?

We are an English family living in Mar del Plata. From what I gather, we are the only Brits in this city.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

matttheboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MichelleAlison
We are an English family living in Mar del Plata. From what I gather, we are the only Brits in this city.
try baexpats.com for a BA website. there are one of two people from outside of the capital. try to ignore the petty squabbling though...! also, check out bloggersinargentina.blogspot.com for expat blogs from all over the country
Old Aug 27th 2007, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Anyone in Argentina?

I subscribe to BANewcomers and the squabbling is incredible - I have only recently joined these forums and it has opened my eyes.

Thanks for the information.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs down Re: Anyone in Argentina?

Wow! I just had a look at the BAexpats forum and the squabbling is so bad, that I wouldn't want to be part of that. It is much worse than the forums I already belong to.

Last edited by MichelleAlison; Aug 27th 2007 at 6:59 pm. Reason: spelling error
Old Sep 1st 2007, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

MILNGAVIE is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of the Brits seem to stay in BA from what I gather I know there is a St Andrews society based there for Scots.
In the town we are going to live which is about 100 miles from BA there are a Swiss family and not many other foreigners definately no Brits in fact on one visit I heard an English accent and it was such a shock to hear it I nearly fell off my chair in the restaurant,turned out he was a trainee engineer on a months work placement at a local factory.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: Anyone in Argentina?

Hi Milngavie, where in he UK are you from and where are you moving to in Argentina?

Just being nosey as it's not often to meet people from the UK on these websites.

Michelle
Old Sep 6th 2007, 10:16 am
Just Joined

mbar is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, i'm here in a small town in Cordoba province, possibly the only brit for miles... been overseas for years so tend not to mix with the usual expat crowd much, although i do miss the language at times. what are you doing here?

mb
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Anyone in Argentina?

Hi Mbar,

We moved here from London almost a year ago. My husband is Argentine, although he has lived abroad for 30 years. Like a lot of Brits, we were fed up with the lack of quality of life in the UK and besides that, both my sons were mugged at knife point and this is what made up our minds to leave.

Where are you from originally and why Argentina?
Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

mbar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MichelleAlison
Hi Mbar,

We moved here from London almost a year ago. My husband is Argentine, although he has lived abroad for 30 years. Like a lot of Brits, we were fed up with the lack of quality of life in the UK and besides that, both my sons were mugged at knife point and this is what made up our minds to leave.

Where are you from originally and why Argentina?
originally from London, spent many years in Africa, came here 3 years ago for something different, just for a few months, but ended up getting married and now have a son. Beautiful country and I've had a great time here. However things are not so good economically in my line of work so we are now thinking of moving back to the UK. Have to go where the money is...
Old Sep 7th 2007, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Anyone in Argentina?

Let us know how you get on, especially if you move back to London. If you have not lived there for a while, you will be in for a culture shock and the high cost of living..........Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Olpage is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
have just today registered on this site -
my wife is from Buenos Aires, we met while travelling 6 years ago, we were living together in the UK for 3 years, and emigrated in Jan 2006 to Bariloche in the Lake District (North Patagonia).
If anyone wants info on living in/moving to this area please feel free to get in touch, (or info in general on moving to Argentina).
Regards,
Oliver Page
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

santelmo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone. I'm from Liverpool and have been living in Buenos Aires for the last few months. I have a girlfriend here and would like to build a life here. I graduated last year with a Spanish and Politics degree....so this place gives me a great opportunity to finally perfect my spanish too Basically the problem I am having is work. I try all the sites like craigslist etc but the only jobs I can seem to secure are for 'cold call' or dodgy financial 'brokers'. There just doesn't seem to be anything else out there. I really love this country and would like to build a life here, but to do that I need a job which motivates me, challenges me and one in which there are genuine prospects to advance. Travel or relocation within Latin America also wouldn't be a problem. Money is not an issue as I still run my online business from here (its not time consuming at all).... I just need good fulfilling work!! Can anyone offer any advice or even better point me in the right direction for work? I've already tried the embassy (I had an interview in December) but they seem to prefer to hire Argentinians with fluent english skills. An unpaid internship would be great too, as long as it gave me good experience and possible future paid opportunities. Like I said, any help would be most appreciated! Mark
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Anyone in Argentina?

It is difficult in Argentina to find well paid work, unless you work for an International company and get paid in Dollars or Euros.

Mark, you need to look around and see if you can find something missing. We have spent the last 18 months in Mar del Plata doing this, and there are so many things missing. We have invested in some properties which we rent out during the summer, but it is not enough to live on, so we have been looking for other work also. Therefore, we have decided to write the first English speaking newspaper for this city and I am in the very early stages. Although people don't think so, there are many fluent English speakers in this city. Unless you are a native English speaker, you wouldn't know they existed. I have many ideas for this paper, but at the moment, not in the situation to offer any work, but maybe in the future.

Another option for us is to find investors to buy old properties and to restore or re-build, or to buy land and build from scratch. Land is much cheaper in this city. I have lots of contacts in the building world, including an architect, but unfortunately not the funds.

With regard to my newspaper, I am looking for articles from ex-pats who would like to write about their lives here, the changes from their own country and why they left their country. If they could be kept small, about 200-300 words, they would be appreciated. No politics please. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to offer payment at this moment in time, but you can use this paper to advertise your own business or website in exchange.

Regards

Michelle (ex-Londoner)
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

santelmo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Michelle,

I really appreciate your reply. I would love to invest but as a 23 year old graduate thats just not an option!!! I'd love to write something for you though, something about the postal system springs to mind, its absolutely horrendous, i've been waiting for PG Tips for 5 weeks, not to mention other things from the states! As soon as I get chance i'll send something through. Keep me posted though if you ever need any staff! Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.