Any ex-pats in Mazatlan?

Old Dec 23rd 2011, 11:59 am
Just Joined

libspero is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any ex-pats in Mazatlan?

Hi All,

Have family in Mazatlan with possible plans to move out there at some point over the next 4-5 years (job willing).

I won't bore you all with the details.. just wondering if there are any other Brits out there? I've not been over for a year or so but I know they were having problems there with the cartels (cruise ships no longer stopping, no spring breakers because of the violence etc). Are things improving at all?

Best wishes to everyone out there from the UK!

Libs
Old Jul 9th 2012, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

webby61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any ex-pats in Mazatlan?

Hi Libs,
I am brand new here and thinking about moving to Mazatlan. I have a friend who has been out there for about ten years, from UK originally. Sadly she is having some problems with her PC so I cant ask her anything I need to know about at the moment. I also live in Warrington and would be happy to chat through the forum if we can do that. Good luck with your move if you make it. All the best. Paul.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks again to Adrian for putting me on to Rolly brook. He really knows it all when it comes to Mexico and he posts regularly on mexconnect a forum I highly reccomend to anyone interested in a move to Mexico.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by webby61
...mexconnect a forum I highly recommend to anyone interested in a move to Mexico.
Mexconnect is a good forum for information about retiring to Mexico and living as a retiree - otherwise it's uselessly full of opinionated denial about the reality of Mexico's underside.

edit: I was a regular contributor to Mexconnect until around 2006 before the rising level of personal insults against me forced a reconsideration of my involvement.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Fair comment Adrian but I am much more interested in facts and useful info than the opinions of others. I will make my own mind up if and when I get out there. I would say again that Rolly is a good source of info though. I am looking at doing a TEFL course to try to get work out there at first and see how it goes and using the income from renting my flat to basically cover my rent and bills. Surely once you are out there and working no one is checking your bank account to see if you meet certain standards? What do you think?
Old Jul 14th 2012, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Indeed, Rolly is a true gentleman and very wise - the Sage of Lerdo, in fact!

..Surely once you are out there and working no one is checking your bank account to see if you meet certain standards? What do you think?
Indeed, if you are working - with an FM3-'Cargo de Confianza' - then the INM has no interest in your income, other than it being at a sufficient level as verified by your employer. The monthly income requirement is for FM3-'Rentista' - a retiree - and here they would need to see bank statements (when you apply for or renew the visa) showing regular deposits of at least 'x' pesos.

The different visas do have different requirements.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

libspero is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Libs,
I am brand new here and thinking about moving to Mazatlan. I have a friend who has been out there for about ten years, from UK originally. Sadly she is having some problems with her PC so I cant ask her anything I need to know about at the moment. I also live in Warrington and would be happy to chat through the forum if we can do that. Good luck with your move if you make it. All the best. Paul.
Hi Paul,

Only just caught up on this thread, thanks for your reply.

I'm actually over in Mzt at the moment but only for the summer.. Only have smartphone here so afraid my responses will be limited.

I know one Brit here who works as a marine surveyor/engineer. He's been here years and loves it too. Good to know there are at least two other Brits

Foreign tourism seems a bit depressed still but interestingly national tourism seems stronger than ever.

I've recently moved jobs in the UK to better align myself with a relocation.. Still looking at about another 4 years though unless family here can pull some strings!

Good luck with your move/research.. If there is anything I can help with by way of information etc I'll be happy to help as best I can.

Saludos,

Libs
Old Jul 19th 2012, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your responses Adrian and Libs.
What would constitute a sufficient income Adrian, any idea? My plan, such as it is would be to do TEFL course and get some more basic Spanish before going out for a look next spring and looking for future work while out on my visit. Either teaching or working in the hotel/tourist industry using my English language skills. Do you happen to know if TEFL jobs need a CRB check? I have a couple of minor convictions from over 20 years ago, nothing too dodgy, but wonder if this may be a block?
Libs- my friend is called Tracey, she is from the north west of England originally and runs a place called Memories Foto Galleria in Maz. I'm sure she would welcome you if you dropped in to see her. Hope you enjoy your visit and feel free to contact me when you are back in Blighty if you like.
Cheers to you both and Libs- check out Rolly Brook on Mexconnect for advice, he is a gem.
Paul.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Personally, I don't know of any jobs here that require any kind of background check...certainly not teaching. Remember, as far as HR practices go, Mexico is probably where the UK was 40 years ago and it's not uncommon to see job ads here specifying a level of detail that would be unconscionable in other countries.

As far as income - it depends on what standard of living you want. Most language schools here pay by the hour of contact time. Full time (40 hours) would pay you - after tax - around MN$16,000 a month...enough for a comfortable life but not riches.

Have you looked at Dave's ESL Cafe?
Old Jul 20th 2012, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Adrian. Not looking to be rich,just happy and will have about 9000 pesos a month from renting my flat out here. Will check out Dave's ESL link. Thanks again mate.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Hi again Adrian,
according to my friend in Mazatlan a decent basic furnished flat including bills can be had for about 8000 pesos a month and health insurance for about 1000 per month. In theory this would mean the income from renting out my flat in the UK would cover this, leaving me to find enough money for food, transport, mobile phone and incidentals.
So I would be looking to work part time perhaps 20 hours per week and bringing in about 5 or 6000 pesos a month. Would I be able to satisfy the authorities demands by combining these two incomes do you think?

Thanks again for your advice so far and I am going to register on Dave's ESL cafe in a couple of weeks when they are taking new members.
By the way are you are Brit originally or Canadian. I could not be sure from what I know so far, not that it matters.
Cheers, Paul.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Paul
Easy answers first - I'm originally a Brit (but haven't lived in Blighty or visited in nigh on 10 years), married to a Mexican, who took Mexican nationality and also has Canadian PR...

Now, you keep on about "satisfying the authorities" so lets get a thing or two in perspective.

When you arrive in Mexico, you will be on a standard, six-month Tourist visa - can't work, can't open a bank account, hold a driver's license, register a vehicle etc etc. But you CAN look for work.

Once you find a school prepared to offer a job - NOT under the table - you will apply to change your visa to an FM3 'Cargo de Confianza" (this is valid for 1 year and allows you to work but ONLY for that employer). An FM3 simply requires the employer to explain why they need to hire you (as opposed to a Mexican) and, as far as I know, the only requirement for pay is that they must pay the market rate (they cannot offer/pay less than they would pay a Mexican).

You could, as some do, work off the books for cash and keep going to the border every six months to renew your tourist visa - but the Mexican government does not mess around and does deport people who are caught.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks Adrian,
that is exactly the clarification I was looking for. I understand that as a tourist I would have restrictions on what I could do so that is fine. My plan is to look for work on my first visit and take it from there. I had no illusions about doing anything illegally so that is not an issue. From what you are saying if I can find a job using my English Language skills that should meet the justification for hiring me as opposed to a Mexican. Then I guess the idea is to find another job for the second year and keep going that way.
Cheers mate.Paul.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Hi again Adrian,
hope you don't mind me asking another couple of questions. Firstly- if an FM3 allows you to stay for one year once employed but only allowed to work for that employer, how does it go from there? Is it the case that each year you stay after the first year you need a new visa each time you get a new job? If so that seems very complicated. Also, as a retiree on an FM2 can income such as i would have from renting my out my flat in the UK be combined with my UK pension to meet the requirements or must it be pension income only? My other question was going to be can I claim my UK pension while living in Mexico but I have looked on line and it seems you can.
Feel free to let me know if you get fed up with my questions anytime.
Cheers, Paul.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

...if an FM3 allows you to stay for one year once employed but only allowed to work for that employer, how does it go from there? Is it the case that each year you stay after the first year you need a new visa each time you get a new job?
The visa has to be renewed every year, yes, but if you change employers half way through a visa then I THINK (not 100% sure) the visa is 'transferable' as long as the new employer abides by the conditions.

Also, as a retiree on an FM2 can income such as i would have from renting my out my flat in the UK be combined with my UK pension to meet the requirements or must it be pension income only?
In Mexico, a 'Rentista' is simply someone who does not work but derives their income from 'rents' - pensions, investments, share dividends, interest, rental income from property etc etc. The key point is, to qualify for visa purposes, you must show regular payments of a roughly similar amount over the last 'x' months. The INM isn't bothered HOW the income is derived, as long as it's not from working.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.