Advice on Uruguay

Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

rubber101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Advice on Uruguay

Hi All
My son & I are planning visiting Uruguay for a reccy in March with a view to relocating & starting a small independant retail business to provide us with an independant income while researching the area.
Any help as to where we might look to find rental premises with accomodation for 1yr. would be apreciated

Thanks
Old Apr 5th 2008, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

monty video is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on Uruguay

Congratulations on your choice! Uruguay is a wonderful country. I lived there in the late 1980s and have been visiting regularly ever since.
As far as setting up a retail business is concerned, you should be aware that Punta del Este is a strictly seasonal destination, whereas the capital Montevideo works year-round. In Montevideo, some businesses work well in the Ciudad Vieja area, some function well enough in Centro, but the true high-end districts are Pocitos and Carrasco, both of which are on the beach. It depends what you plan to do.
Uruguay has the distinct advantage of property bought and sold in US dollars and - according to Transparency International - is the second least corrupt country in Latin America (Chile, in case you're wondering...).
There are currently tax breaks for entrepreneurs opening tourist sector businesses including, for those which qualify, exemption of import duty for start-up equipment and other necessary purchases.
I can thoroughly recommend Marcelo Larroque, who is a home-finder in Montevideo ([email protected]) and also an accountant, and can help you with anything you need. He can administer your property (should you be buying real estate), collect the rent, pay bills, make repairs, whatever is needed.
Good luck!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Advice on Uruguay

Originally Posted by rubber101
Hi All
My son & I are planning visiting Uruguay for a reccy in March with a view to relocating & starting a small independant retail business to provide us with an independant income while researching the area.
Any help as to where we might look to find rental premises with accomodation for 1yr. would be apreciated

Thanks
I am living in Canada and have been researching various countries in the Americas as a place for early retirement. From my findings, Uraguay comes out the best. Real estate and cost of living are reasonable and the place has a European flair.

Anyone else looked at Uraguay? The following site is hosted in Panama and will give you an insight into the Americas:

www.escapeartist.com