Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
Reload this Page >

Things you wished you'd packed!

Things you wished you'd packed!

Old Jul 4th 2015, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

ABCR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Things you wished you'd packed!

I thought this would be a great thread for newbies moving out to Cayman. What are the things you wished you'd packed/packed more of before moving out?
Old Jul 5th 2015, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Cam_low is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things you wished you'd packed!

i wish i had went to primark and bought a lot more shorts !!! i paid 80USD for some reef shorts yesterday !! ouch
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

sophiacarib is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you pack a good snorkel set, they can be expensive down here. Cayman has awesome dive sites and beautiful corals.
Old Sep 5th 2015, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I had lived in Bahamas before we came here, so knew what to expect, pretty much. But newcomers to the tropics should bring a few pairs of shorts and flip-flops, and whatever sporting gear they think they'll need. (There are sports shops here, but they tend to be expensive.) Note that our electricity here is all 110 volts, so English plugs won't fit. Otherwise, we have everything you'll need. Ours is a pretty sophisticated little island, as regards shops.

PS. You don't need to bring Marmite, or mince pies, or Xmas puds. We have all those things. The supermarkets bring over a container of Waitrose (Foster's stores) or Tesco (Kirk's) items about every six months. Sausages, even!
Old Sep 6th 2015, 10:30 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought from grenada, clothes and shoes, import lots, imho you cant beat a good collection of ralph lauren shorts, cargos and polo shirts, worth it for longevity. If you orefer another make, make sure its 100% cotton, even small amounts of synthetics get nasty in the tropics, ans certainly make sweating worse imho.

In gda good quality kitchen kit like pots pans and quality cookers are a problem, pots and pans from costco or ikea, in the uk you can order lpg powered fan oven cookers, great things, made by stoves co.