Taxes from working abroad?

Old Mar 1st 2017, 2:40 am
Just Joined

Njon.704 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taxes from working abroad?

Hello. My family and I are wanting to move to Grand Cayman under the "Residency Certificate for Persons of Independent Means". We would be living in Grand Cayman with a residency certificate, but my husband will be working abroad in Canada and will be communting once a month to Grand Cayman.

My question is... will we still have to pay income tax for Canada if we hold residency for Grand Cayman?

If anyone is living in Grand Cayman and working abroad who have some experience to share that would be wonderful. Thank you.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxes from working abroad?

Originally Posted by Njon.704
Hello. My family and I are wanting to move to Grand Cayman under the "Residency Certificate for Persons of Independent Means". We would be living in Grand Cayman with a residency certificate, but my husband will be working abroad in Canada and will be commuting once a month to Grand Cayman.

My question is... will we still have to pay income tax for Canada if we hold residency for Grand Cayman?
Really, this is a question for a Canadian lawyer with expertise in Canadian taxes. Off the cuff, I would say that "working... in Canada" is more likely than not the same as "resident of Canada for tax purposes". And, incidentally, "domiciled for death-duties purposes" too. But a Canadian lawyer might be able to work something out for you!
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

But he wouldn't be living in Cayman would he? You would be. He'd be living and working in Canada as a tax resident. Look at the 183 day rule that exists for most countries.
I lived in Cayman and had a visa to live in the US but I was only in the US for less than 4 months of the year so I was "tax" resident in Cayman.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

You have not indicated what passport you hold. Residence in Cayman is not material to taxation, which is governed by tax treaties, if any between Canada and the nationality of the employee working in Canada.

I agree with Gordon, get a tax accountant in Canada.

Or, consult the HR, or payroll Department of the company.