Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
Reload this Page >

Are Single Parents Accepted in the Cayman Islands?

Are Single Parents Accepted in the Cayman Islands?

Old Jan 20th 2012, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Lemonique is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Are Single Parents Accepted in the Cayman Islands?

Hi there!
I am a newbie!
I am a qualified Teacher and Careers Adviser with experience of teaching Health & Social Care, Key Skills and Business Studies.
I have just applied for a teaching post (Secondary) in the Cayman, but I am a little unsure about how single parents are viewed. I have a two year old son. Could anyone shed some light on this? I have come across several articles that give me the impression that the Cayman Islands is very conservative and extremely religious. Would this put me at a disadvantage?
Also, can anyone give me an idea of cost of living for a single parent with one child? Most of the cost of living tables that I have come across are based on either a single person or a couple.
Finally, if I am short listed for the post, would I have to travel to the Cayman to attend an interview and conduct a micro teaching session?
Would greatly appreciate some information.

Thanks

Last edited by Lemonique; Jan 20th 2012 at 4:33 pm. Reason: Grammar
Old Jan 21st 2012, 12:03 am
Just Joined

mkexpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are Single Parents Accepted in the Cayman Islands?

Hi there, I am not a teacher so couldn't comment on the schools or immigration and their attitudes, although my understanding is to add a dependent to your work permit you need to be earning over a certain threshold, I am not sure what that is, I would guess a teacher would be fine, but the school would know. It's to stop low skilled people bringing over families they can't afford to keep.

In terms of attitude, I wouldn't worry about that, Cayman is religious and conservative, however a significant proportion of young Camanian women want a family at a very young age and inevitably end up having kids with men who don't go on to be their life partner, so it's far from unusual amongst the locals. Amongst the expat community attitudes are very modern and you will have no problems and probably good support, everyone here knows what it's like to step off the plane having left home behind and will go out of their way to help you settle in.

In terms of costs, you will be paying CI$1,200 up for a two bed place depending on standards and location, (any less would probably be a bit of a dive). It's common to get a nanny over here and that would be about CI$1,200 including their pension health insurance, but you could probably find someone to share with. We've put our 5 month old into nursery at about CI$700 per month, not sure about two year olds.

I am really looking forward to seeing our little one grow up here and experiencing what Cayman has to offer, good luck and if the offer comes, I would take it on its merits rather than have any anxieties about Cayman.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi mkexpat

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. I have a few more questions. I hope you dont mind!

The teaching post that I applied for is with a government secondary school and the pay is from CI$ 43,932 - CI$ 59,088. Roughly how much would I need to be earning to be able to support myself and my son? Would I need to drive or can I get around on public transport?

He may have to attend a nursery or pre school. Could you recommend any good ones?

Where is the best area to live? I am not really keen on living by the sea front, but would like to live in a nice, safe area close to all the schools/nurseries.

Thanks
Old Jan 21st 2012, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

kitkatb3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lemonique
Hi mkexpat

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. I have a few more questions. I hope you dont mind!

The teaching post that I applied for is with a government secondary school and the pay is from CI$ 43,932 - CI$ 59,088. Roughly how much would I need to be earning to be able to support myself and my son? Would I need to drive or can I get around on public transport?

He may have to attend a nursery or pre school. Could you recommend any good ones?

Where is the best area to live? I am not really keen on living by the sea front, but would like to live in a nice, safe area close to all the schools/nurseries.

Thanks
Grand cayman has probably changed a lot since I lived there , but physically , its about 30 miles long and it shrinks to about 50 metres wide in one or two places , highest point about sea level about 50 feet . My point being /you re never far from the sea , the biggest local builder went bust last year and its been rebuilt twice in the last 20 years due to hurricanes ..so a current resident is probably best for advice on the climate /economics etc .Otherwise , the highest density of churchs anywhere in the world , a lot of networking occurs through the churchs , people swopping according to which company they want to work for is not unheard of .....if im brutal ..$50k a year wont get you very far in Cayman ..its the Hollywood of the Carribean .....but definitely worth checking if they ve quoted you us $ or CI $ theres quite a difference .

But don t let me put you off , its very close to Tampa , Miami /Florida , its oft said that the gentry in the states go to the keys for their spring break , and those in the keys go to Cayman , certainly when I was there I socislised with royalty , many Hollywood A listers vacation there and own property ...its a unique taste of the Caribbean in so faras its a very Americanised financially orientated version .
Old Jan 21st 2012, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

I'm not sure if I'd say Cayman is the hollywood of the caribbean, especially compared to Bahamas, Barbados and St Lucia, Iggy Pop is about as big as it gets, it is pricey though, I would budget for CI$1,500 rent in a decent two bed house/condo away form the beach, budget CI$1000 for nursery/nanny/pre school, utilities you can probably expect CI$250-400 a month depending on AC use in summer. Including food and petrol I would say you are looking at CI$3,500 per month, it's right to say you want to get as near to the top end of the scale as you can to allow you to enjoy the life, but as my wife said today the good thing about Cayman is even if you've spent up for the month you can still enjoy your life just by enjoying being outdoors hanging out with friends.

To answer your question on transport you do need a car, there is a sort of bus service in the main areas, but I wouldn't want to rely on it, especially for shopping with a young one and in summer you wouldn't want to walk too far. But everyone just drives cheap cars

There is a great source of information at www.caymannewresident.com I'm not sure if you can email them questions, but I am happy to help from my experience

Life really is good here and if you can make it work, it's a great place to bring up a young one, I just find the weather and pace of life and lack of commute is the best things. If I had to say the one thing I didn't like most, it would be quite a few people come for 3 or 4 years and leave so you make good friends and then they go, but if that's the worst thing to put up with.......
Old Jan 21st 2012, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Hello Kitkatb3

Thanks for the information. It was very helpful.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Religious? Conservative? Not really. Lots of people go to Church and there are lots of churches but ít doesn't really pervade everyday life and not something that is an issue. I was never asked once about church going habits in the 13 years I was there but I am asked every other week here in the US! As MKexpat said there are loads of single Mums there.
Salary of $CI50K is ok but you certainly wouldnt live like a king on it. If you are not a drinker and are not a consumer there isn't that much to spend money on. $1100-$1200 for an apartment that is decent -wouldn't go lower and lots of apts for rent now near to where the schools are located. Yes you would need transport. There is public transport but life without a car would be impossible.
I dont know about the school system at all - sorry. I dont think they would expect you to go there for interview - the country almost went bankrupt last year so there would be no funds for expenses.
It is safe but you take normal precautions like you would anywhere - there is always opportunistic crime. You would need to go with some savings as getting set up is expensive'but it is a great place to live.
Good luck.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Hi Kitkatb3

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks once again mkexpat. Really appreciate the information
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

kitkatb3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lemonique
Hi Kitkatb3

Thanks for your help.
I can't imagine we ve helped much ....and I won't indulge in arguing points of view ....Im sure all are valid / Orangepants mentions probably the best bit of advice ...you ll need a decent amount of cash to get set up , no idea what airfare tax 's are like in Cayman at the mo / other parts of the Carribean they are often more than your ticket , and medical ! make sure you ve got cover ! theres no nhs ,and no form of social or safety net , you will have to pay for quite literally everything ..even your push bike will require a licence . Cayman is quite a special place and its people are warm hearted and welcoming .
Old Feb 12th 2012, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Hi Lemonique, I'm just following up to see if you had any luck with the Cayman job and if so have you made a decision or do you have any more questions??
Old Feb 13th 2012, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi mkepat

I am still waiting to hear from the Cayman Government regarding the teaching post. Will let you know if I am successful.

Thanks
Old May 10th 2012, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Government teachers get free medical, I think; but you'd better check with the Education Department.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

SnowPetals is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Did you accept the job? I am in a same position as you so was wondering how you got on.