Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
Reload this Page >

should we move to the cayman islands

should we move to the cayman islands

Old Jun 12th 2013, 8:29 am
Just Joined

elowans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default should we move to the cayman islands

Hi
My husband has possibly been given the chance of a job in the cayman islands. We would be planning to move for 12-18 months. We have a 2 year old little boy so it is a huge decision to be made. Can anyone who has moved to the cayman islands with small children offer any advice? Would you recommend moving? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: should we move to the cayman islands

See my answer to "Mrs Mills" on the next-door thread.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

hopter73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Did you make a decision to move to Cayman Islands? We are due to move in September with 6 and 3 year olds. I have previously lived in New Zealand for 3 years (from UK) with a young child (then had another!) and would say go for it! Great opportunity to experience a different life and in my experience children make it easy to meet lovely people. I'm looking forward to the next adventure in Grand Cayman...
Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Hi there. My husband just received his job offer on friday so still undecided!! Hate making big decisions. Have you been to the cayman islands before? How long are you planning on staying?
Old Jul 18th 2013, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Hello
I have never been (yet!) - my husband has and is going back next week for work and to check things out for us all to move out there. He has been working in the Caribbean region for quite a few months now though so has been to most islands. We will be going for a minimum of 3 years this time I think. I keep thinking what a great opportunity for my children to grow up for a few years in a beautiful place, plenty of swimming, beach, tennis, sailing...

Good luck with your decision. When we were deciding whether to go to New Zealand (and the same applies to us now) we think - Well, you don't often regret the things you do or try, but you can forever regret if you don't try things. And if you don't like it, home will always be there and you can just go home. I didn't want to think back and say, well we had a chance to live somewhere amazing for a little while but we didn't go! BUT - everyone is different and has their own reasons for making decisions. Best of luck!
Old Jul 21st 2013, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Hey. We still trying to make a decision but really need to decide this weekend. Im struggling with the prospect of leaving my family behind as im very close to them. At the moment this is the only thing holding me back but i think if we decide to go for it, i will get past it. We have now decided that my husband would come for 3 months and get started work and get everything set up before we join him. How are your plans going with your move?
Old Jul 27th 2013, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Well, we are almost certainly going (!) but I think we too will follow on after like you - we will have to wait for a school place somewhere, I hope it doesn't take too long. It's the hardest decision - did you see the article about expats being the friendliest people? A little bit of hope!
Old Jul 28th 2013, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Well we have decided and we are going too!!! My husband is hoping to go the beginning of october and we will go beginning of december. Exciting times but very stressful too - so much to do. When are you hoping to go.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Brilliant! Congratulations - I think we will either go in October or December. See you there!
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hopter73
..my husband... is going back next week for work and to check things out for us all to move out there. He has been working in the Caribbean region for quite a few months now though so has been to most islands. We will be going for a minimum of 3 years this time I think. I keep thinking what a great opportunity for my children to grow up for a few years in a beautiful place, plenty of swimming, beach, tennis, sailing...
You are making a wise decision! My wife and I and our 2-year-old son came here in 1978 and have never left. He has now emigrated (to Norway), but looks back on his childhood in Cayman with great affection. I have to tell you it's hot as hell here just at the moment, though. Grandma and I just got back last night from two weeks in Norway, where we were able to sit in the sun, which was pleasant. It's far too hot and sticky to sit out in it here, at least in the summertime. So tell your old man to make sure he gets a place with the air-con working.

It will be something of a culture-shock for you. Grand Cayman is very small-town-ish in many ways, and there is some strong resentment between the native-born and the several expat communities. I've written about this in my blog for the past couple of years. "The Parishes of England" in November 2011 will give you the barest taste of some of the native attitudes.

But - enjoy! The good outweighs the bad, which is why we stay. Any questions, please post here and I'll answer them.